To ask if you clean your meat?

(547 Posts)
Cleopatois Sat 08-Feb-14 12:53:28

I use lemon and water or white vinegar and water to clean all my meat.

A colleague said she didn't just through it from pack to pan :O

Her reasoning was 'its free range so that means it clean'.

Another colleague said it is a culture thing. What do you do?

Caitlin17 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:39:01

Tallforadwarf exactly you cannot separate the blood from the flesh. As you say if you cut into undercooked chicken it runs red. A rare steak runs red when you cut it, a well done one won't but that is due to the cooking process not the absence of blood.

GlitzAndGiggles Sun 09-Feb-14 21:42:15

My local tesco has a halal meat counter and they sell every part of the animal. I buy my meat there cause it's cheaper than tesco's own and you get more

MamaPain Sun 09-Feb-14 21:43:24

Tallforadwarf, this link may help answer some of your questions:

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/practices/Ritual/Kashrut_Dietary_Laws/Kosher_Food/Meat/Making_Meat_Kosher.shtml?p=1

As I have previously said I don't fully follow these practices, I just wash meat, but yes I know people and have family who are very strict with this kind of thing.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 09-Feb-14 21:46:36

Can someone tell me what rinsing a chicken under a tap is meant to achieve? I don't mean those who leave it in a bowl.

WholeNutt Sun 09-Feb-14 21:48:05

I like my meat to be clean. and a fresh penis beaker daily

NearTheWindmill Sun 09-Feb-14 21:49:18

I think it achieves a rinsed through chicken which is then swabbed dry with a tea towel that the cook forgets has swabbed raw meat and then uses to dry hands, wipe clean a mug and plate, etc. Oh dear.

Caitlin17 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:50:04

MamaPain would you prefer I lied? Designating certain animals and certain parts of certain animals as unclean might be culturally important to some. I find it illogical and hypocrtical.

I grew up on a mixed stock farm, we used no intensive farming and whilst I knew the animals would be slaughtered my grandfather ensured they were given the best possible care when under his care.

I have in the past been vegetarian which also colours my views but distinguishing between unclean and clean animals is not a concept I can respect.

JassyRadlett Sun 09-Feb-14 21:50:49

I don't think cultural or religious reasons are silly at all. I'm a bit iffy about 'ethnic' being used as a cultural and religious catch all as if all religious and cultural practices are identical (and as if there are not significant differences of views within religions on what qualifies as halal and kosher).

MamaPain, thank you as honestly I was curious about how it worked for people. smile

Wabbitty Sun 09-Feb-14 21:57:20

The problem with the post that Episode has quoted is that although someone has given "facts" - they aren't it's just their opinion. My OH is also an EHO and has also worked in abattoir but he doesn't wash meat.

Tallforadwarf Sun 09-Feb-14 22:03:19

Mamapain, thanks for the link. I've read bits about kosher before but it's interesting to read it in that context. I'm a little disturbed if I'm honest, it seems a bit extreme, but I respect your beliefs and can understand why you don't fully follow the practises in the link.

This is a cut and paste for those thinking all animal parts aren't used, in fairness some bits aren't....

Uncooked meat products
Certain parts of the carcass of mammalian species may not be used in uncooked meat products (brains, feet, small and large intestine, lungs, oesophagus, rectum, spinal cord, spleen, stomach, testicles, udder ). However, uncooked intestines may be used as casings (for sausages , for example). Note also the banned material in the following paragraph.

Specified risk material (SRM)
The sale of SRM or any food containing it for human consumption is banned, as is its use or sale for use in the preparation of food for human consumption. For bovine animals, SRM varies according to whether it originated in the UK and its age, but generally includes skull (including brain and eyes ), tonsils, spinal cord, thymus, spleen and intestines. For sheep and goats there are also differences for age, UK and non-UK animals, but generally SRM includes skull including brain and eyes, tonsils, spinal cord and spleen.

ToBeSure Sun 09-Feb-14 22:19:56

Wabbitty

I was the poster that Episode quoted. If you look at my post I simply said I wash meat to get foreign matter off it and that what matters is thoroughly cooking meat!

I didn't say anything about washing bacteria off meat confused

I will wash my meat if I can as I prefer it but I am unbothered by unwashed meat. confused. I don't wash every cut of meat as it depends what it is. I would always wash pork chops but I would never wash beef fillet and I obviously wouldn't wash mince. hmm

Pumpkin567 Mon 10-Feb-14 06:39:46

No it's a hygiene risk. Also I would want to eat any cleaning product.

There was an advertising campaign to inform people not to do this.

KarenBrockman Sun 23-Feb-14 08:38:08

I think washing meat is unhygienic, I wouldn't trust you to wash your contaminated hands/surfaces properly after.

I don't have an issue with blood, all adds to the flavour, I don't touch raw=uncooked meat, I use a fork to transfer it from pack to pan.

Now I have this great pack of dry barbeque seasoning, yes it makes the food taste nice if I leave the chicken sitting in it overnight.

We also like meat and the actual taste of the meat and enjoy it for it's self or raw as some people seem to describe it, raw to me is uncooked maybe the word they are looking for is not raw, rather they maybe need to look at using the words plain or natural?

I wonder if this loading loads of flavour on everything has dulled or killed off their taste buds and they have lost the ability to taste food for it's self? or if some of us are supertasters and have a better variety of taste buds working. I imagine life for someone with reduced working taste buds would be boring and may be why they need to smother food in extra flavour?

No need to put down white people or their cooking.

Macocious Sun 23-Feb-14 09:50:14

I am from the Caribbean and I do not wash meat. Growing up I saw a lot of people do it though and I wonder if maybe the quality of the meat wasn't good in the olden days so this practice just stuck?

greenfolder Sun 23-Feb-14 10:18:19

i think you need to conclude its cultural!

Methe Sun 23-Feb-14 13:15:05

Oh I hope this tread kicks off again grin

FoxesRevenge Sun 23-Feb-14 13:19:32

Before becoming a vegetarian I used to wash meat therefore not entirely a cultural practice.

HighBrows Sun 23-Feb-14 13:20:19

I put my meat in the dishwasher on a very hot cycle, why are the rest of you not doing that, you dirty things shock

the above is a lie

Taffeta Sun 23-Feb-14 13:24:54

Never done it, never will. Totally daft if not cultural, more likely to spread raw meat germs around kitchen. Unless you are eating the meat raw, in which case, well, good luck. Not a fan of raw meat.

Mycatistoosexy Sun 23-Feb-14 13:34:55

Cooking kills bacteria, that is why we cook meat. I wash an apple because I eat it raw.

I'm finding this whole debate a bit confused

FoxesRevenge Sun 23-Feb-14 13:39:48

grin * Highbrows*

YouAreTalkingRubbish Sun 23-Feb-14 18:17:09

Wash your eat, don't wash your meat, I really don't care because it doesn't matter but saying you don't wash you meat because washing it will contaminate your kitchen is really daft confused
If I wash meat I hold it under a slow tap in the sink, then I dab it dry with lint free paper towel. I am conscious of cross contamination just as I am when I handle meat and meat products that I don't wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now