To ask if you clean your meat?

(547 Posts)
Cleopatois Sat 08-Feb-14 12:53:28

I use lemon and water or white vinegar and water to clean all my meat.

A colleague said she didn't just through it from pack to pan :O

Her reasoning was 'its free range so that means it clean'.

Another colleague said it is a culture thing. What do you do?

Artandco Sat 08-Feb-14 13:03:57

Yes I wash fruits and veg. Just never meat

Cleopatois Sat 08-Feb-14 13:04:44

PP, with fish I soak it in lime juice and water for about ten minutes. It takes the 'rawness' out from the fish.
Or you can rinse with lemon and water.

ApocalypseThen Sat 08-Feb-14 13:05:08

The vinegar has high level of acid which kills bacteria and germs.

Meat is clean.

Cooking it properly will kill germs.

Puttheshelvesup Sat 08-Feb-14 13:05:28

No, don't really understand why you would. It's very unhygienic to wash meat, and unless you eat meat very rare the blood is not a problem at all once cooked.

Cleopatois Sat 08-Feb-14 13:05:38

Squoosh you don't 'douse' it. You wash it, rinse and there is NO taste of vinegar.

Hoppinggreen Sat 08-Feb-14 13:05:50

My husband thinks we should but I don't - as I do the cooking we don't!!
I think splashing raw chicken juice all over my sink is probably a lot more dangerous than not cooking meat properly in the oven ( even if I thoroughly was my sink afterwards)
Never seen meat washed at all until my husband suggested I should, he is from Germany, not sure if that makes. Difference?

Seff Sat 08-Feb-14 13:06:24

But the heat kills bacteria and germs. If it's dirt, like on potatoes, that's different to germs.

fluffyraggies Sat 08-Feb-14 13:06:28

Nope, chuck it in'er here. Although when i cook ducks at xmas i rinse the carcass' through, because it's game.

Mince rinsing - one of MNs finest 'i never knew anyone did that' moments for me grin

squoosh Sat 08-Feb-14 13:06:56

Sounds like madness to me. I've never done this and made it to the grand old age of 35 without ever having suffered from food poisoning.

Cleopatois Sat 08-Feb-14 13:07:17

Meat is not clean, if you get it from supermarkets it is cleaner than from the butchers.

It is not to just wash the blood.

Example I went to get some lamb chops from the butchers and the woman used her bare hand to take the meat and put it into the bag.

Also chicken has the slimy stuff, feathers (occasionally) and just doesn't look clean!

Artandco Sat 08-Feb-14 13:07:21

Doesn't all your fish taste like limes?

mistermakersgloopyglue Sat 08-Feb-14 13:07:26

What the fuck? Why would you wash meat? Seriously, I do not understand this at all?!

No way, why on earth would you.

I justdon't get it at all.

ApocalypseThen Sat 08-Feb-14 13:08:04

You're not supposed to wash game either - font you see the ads from food safety every Christmas about how you shouldn't ever wash game or poultry?

Cleopatois Sat 08-Feb-14 13:08:17

You clean the area with bleach. Most people I know have a meat bowl. Which you put the meat in, IN the sink and use that to wash.

givemushypeasachance Sat 08-Feb-14 13:09:04

I'm roasting a chicken today and the packaging specifically says not to wash it before cooking it - there's no need! You're cooking it, that'll kill any bacteria. It's not like it's been rolling around on the kitchen floor picking up dust and hair...

giraffesCantMakeResolutions Sat 08-Feb-14 13:09:09

no

That depends if the game came to you in it's natural state or not

Cleopatois Sat 08-Feb-14 13:09:22

The meat does not taste of limes, lemon or lime.

So for those who do not wash, do you take the meat from packet and throw straight in the pan? Skin, slime, dirt and all?

liquidstate Sat 08-Feb-14 13:09:26

Wouldn't the vinegar and lime make it taste weird? Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

I haven't got vinegar but have come lemon Jif so will give that a go with tomorrows roast and let you know how I got on.

Cleopatois Sat 08-Feb-14 13:10:14

mushy peas, how do you know where your meat has been and who its been touched by from the time its been slaughtered to ending up in your kitchen?

mistermakersgloopyglue Sat 08-Feb-14 13:10:34

A 'meat bowl' - yuk! Just stick it in a really hot pan or oven. A million times more hygienic than messing around with water and bowls and bleach.

Seff Sat 08-Feb-14 13:10:54

I'm not bothered about a bit of blood. It is meat, after all. It was once running around a field (or not, but you know what I mean).

On any food hygiene course I've ever been in, it has never been recommended to wash meat. And those courses are fairly notorious for being a bit over zealous to start with.

Cleopatois Sat 08-Feb-14 13:10:59

Liquid no not jif, a fresh lemon or lime. White vinegar is about 34p for a big bottle.

ouryve Sat 08-Feb-14 13:11:08

I don't particularly want to breath in the chlorine fumes from bleaching my entire kitchen every time I handle some meat. They're nasty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now