to expect an ecig battery supplied with a USB charger to charge via USB

(10 Posts)
FrostedButts Sat 08-Feb-14 10:38:24

I just bought an e-cig kit in a shop, nearest shop of that kind in the area.

the battery of which screws into the USB charger provided (the cord for which is fucking tiny and far too short to be practical, but anyway)

the prick won't charge when in a USB socket, tried it in 3 now. It just lights up green indicating full battery despite being dead, the battery just flashes then switches off when I try to switch it on. the ports are fine, they are charging my phone and saving my mp3s right now...

I tried plugging the ecig charger into my phones wall plug, which has a USB socket, just to check. sure enough a red light indicating charging. however this is unsafe as voltage too high for an ecig... don't want to start a fire

I'm really fucking pissed off the guy said nothing about needing a wall charger and tbh if I'd known I needed one I would have reconsidered my purchase as the wiring both at work and home is shite - plug sockets really inaccessible.

not to mention the extra cost of a branded sodding plug plus the sheer twattery of having to go back to buy a special 4.2v (or whatever) one and pay bus fare on top (still cheaper than exorbitant postage if I ordered online - I'd never get a couriered package anyway as never in during delivery times and if they left it outside it'd be gone before he got back in the van).

fml! so much for supporting local business sparks up Marlboro light

FrostedButts Sat 08-Feb-14 10:41:02

as you can see I am severely sleep and nicotine deprived

hanging head in shame IRL I promise

Hiya!

Firstly, don't panic, any usb wall charger is fine for charging ecigs - they're all 5V - this is USB2 standard. Ecig batteries are no more likely to discharge than mobile phones, tablets or any other usb charging device.

Sounds like either the battery or the charger you have is defective. This happens, quality control is not great in the ecig world. I would go back to the shop for a replacement/money back if I were you.

I get everything online because there are no shops near me. Yes there is generally a postage charge but the prices seem to be way cheaper than what people are paying in the shops so it probably evens out. Also delivery is very fast, usually next day.

Come on over to the vaping thread and we'll help you get sorted. smile

Isn't it all still cheaper than smoking (Runs away fast) grin

Yes, unless you gave up roll ups bought from a bin bag in the market and are using those dreadful cig-alike things.

posthumus Sat 08-Feb-14 11:29:08

Just had the same problem with a new e-cig. Seemed to charge, but nothing happened. I had forgotten to switch the battery on after charging. Try pressing the button 5 times, and it should work. Hope this is your problem.

FrostedButts Sat 08-Feb-14 20:17:49

thank you, you have cheered me right up. yay.

the wall charger thing was that I googled the make of battery and my brand of phone charger and there was a video from some neckbeard saying the 2 used together were dangerous because the voltage would be too high & damage the battery. well I'm not going to leave it unattended so it should be fine?! curse that neckbeard, 100 thumbs down from me to him.

I guess I will go back on Monday sigh the guy in the shop had a laptop so at least I can prove the little shitey charger doesn't work properly. why is the cable so short??

grin Neckbeard is chatting shit! When you say 'neckbeard', was he perhaps Amish? I don't expect they understand electricity much wink

Why do you need your cable to be longer?

FrostedButts Sun 09-Feb-14 02:38:07

Neckbeard is a man who has a beard on his neck like so:

i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/519/325/3f3.png

Possibly connected traits include arrogance, an inflated sense of self-importance, misogyny and a lonely life in a parent's basement.

All my plug sockets are either halfway up the wall, stranded in a desert of no nearby furniture, or in weird corners or the fireplace or behind the bookcase, cheeky hiding bastards.

Have created an impromptu stand with a pile of books and a cheeky (clean) ashtray on top to rest the battery in. It juuust reaches the plug socket located conveniently 2 ft up the wall in between the window and the corner...

millabbie123 Wed 11-Jun-14 16:42:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now