To arrive at work and make a cup of coffee?

(255 Posts)
FunnysInLaJardin Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:55

I have been criticised today for arriving at work and after logging on etc making a cup of coffee. Doesn't everyone do this? Or am I living in the dark ages and I should arrive and start work straight away? Maybe I should delay my first cup of coffee for a half an hour or some such?

goodasitgets Fri 07-Feb-14 22:31:11

Depends what job. Would be frowned upon where I work, we make drinks before we start

Lora1982 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:31:51

We would be spoken to if we did this. Id make one then go and log on. Or log on and wait half hr at least! Your start time is your start time, not your start of pre-shift cofffee time.

TamerB Fri 07-Feb-14 22:32:41

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

mousmous Fri 07-Feb-14 22:33:03

my work computer takes ages to start up so it's only sensible to go and make a brew whilst that's going on.

Ubik1 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:33:34

I have to be logged on and ready to start the exact minute my shift starts. It's all logged.

So coffee is made before the start of my shift time, or I have to wait an hour for a tea and a pee -I am only allowed 5 mins for that - that is logged too.

woe betide anyone who is 30 secs over

Wantsunshine Fri 07-Feb-14 22:34:34

Who doesn't? I am normally about half an hour late but always login and then head off for a coffee. Unless you work on a production line it would be odd not to

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 07-Feb-14 22:35:14

everyone else does it and no never late. I arrive 10 mins ahead of my start time. I work in an office but my 'boss' is a bore who would rather watch everyone else than get on with her own work. It's very tiresome and the reason I am looking for another job tbh. I just thought it was normal office behaviour and of course not stopping me from working and doing my job. God this week has been a PITA

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 07-Feb-14 22:36:34

oh and I am in a professional job where we are supposed to be trusted to do our jobs and not shirk

Pilgit Fri 07-Feb-14 22:36:37

I always log on and then make tea. But it takes ages to log in, we have zipp taps (instant hot water) and my commute is 1.5 hours. It depends on the job as well though - I don't have clocking in or out times and am autonomous about my time - as are the rest of the people I work with so no one cares. But if it is negatively impacting on colleagues that's different. But in general that is a shit to way to treat you!

brettgirl2 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:36:50

jeez and I moan about my job confused brew

mistlethrush Fri 07-Feb-14 22:37:03

It does, surely, depend upon your work - I get to work, switch on, make a cup of tea, and log-in and get on with it. I normally am in the office at 8.10 and started formally by 8.15. Other people get in at 10am. They simply work later. So 'logging on and then making tea' doesn't mean I don't start 'on time' because I don't have a formal 'start time'.

HaroldLloyd Fri 07-Feb-14 22:38:21

Totally normal behaviour. Beyond petty that is.

Mintyy Fri 07-Feb-14 22:39:41

I actually cannot function without coffee and I can't have one before leaving the house because I have a long commute and would just need to pee (am aged) - so Yanbu.

Caoilainn Fri 07-Feb-14 22:40:41

I get in before my start time, make coffee for myself, boss and colleague. If I'm running late, coffee is always on my desk.
My boss and colleague are always earlier than their start ti e too.
I think it's comes down to ethos and respect ( we also take turns with the milk) grin

BoffinMum Fri 07-Feb-14 22:41:09

That is normal office behaviour.

FutTheShuckUp Fri 07-Feb-14 22:41:22

Want sunshine you rock up half an hour late then faff around making a drink? Taking the proverbial much?

BettyBotter Fri 07-Feb-14 22:41:50

Yup - normal

Your boss, on the other hand is not.

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 07-Feb-14 22:42:28

Harold 'beyond petty' sums my 'boss' up in two words!

Theas18 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:43:12

This why I have a coffee flask type cup lol. Hit the ground running. I don't have a "clock in" type job- far from it, I'm my own boss, apparently! That just means starting early and finishing late a lot if the time...

NatashaBee Fri 07-Feb-14 22:43:44

Fine as long as you're at your desk ready to start by your start time. Personally I wouldn't care anyway but some people are ridiculous about stuff like that.

Jolleigh Fri 07-Feb-14 22:44:35

Depends on the job. My workplace is extremely flexible and nobody would bat an eyelid...we're paid to complete a task rather than to be at our desk for X number of hours. But if you're covering phone work and aren't logged in at your desk by the start time or you work in a very rigid team, YABU.

Looks like above you've said you actually arrive early and make the brew before your start time? I'd tell them to fuck off.

EBearhug Fri 07-Feb-14 22:45:07

Most people do it where I work. I don't, because I don't drink coffee. I get a glass of water instead. <living life on the edge>

TomaszSchafernaker Fri 07-Feb-14 22:46:17

That's my morning routine. At least that's all I do after logging on unlike colleagues who log on then proceed to put make up on have a brew AND make and eat their breakfast

pourmeanotherglass Fri 07-Feb-14 22:46:56

I always make a coffee while my computer starts up. I might not take it well if the boss tried to critisise, as I often end up working past my finish time to get everything done and he is usually out the door at 5:30 on the dot.

LCHammer Fri 07-Feb-14 22:46:58

Like Mintyy, I have a long commute and can't have water and coffee at home or in the car as I'd need the loo. So it's coffee first when I arrive. Of course there are days when there's no time for anything all day. What petty people you work with. Do they time you on the loo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now