To arrive at work and make a cup of coffee?

(255 Posts)
FunnysInLaJardin Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:55

I have been criticised today for arriving at work and after logging on etc making a cup of coffee. Doesn't everyone do this? Or am I living in the dark ages and I should arrive and start work straight away? Maybe I should delay my first cup of coffee for a half an hour or some such?

Mishmashfamily Wed 12-Feb-14 11:40:14

LCH your wrong. People like to be treated fairly. Nothing causes resentment more than other people getting treated or behaving in a way that's different to other people.

If the way of the office is relaxed, people can come and go, fine. But if it's a sharp start then everyone has to act accordingly.

When you sign your contract it's a legally binding document to say you will start work at said time, if management want you to.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Wed 12-Feb-14 11:44:50

Chocolate - i assume you missed the bit where the OP says that she gets to work 10 minutes early. " I arrive 10 mins ahead of my start time"

That's 10 minutes each day that the employer is not paying for. So why did that trigger your rant to her?

Why the hell should she not use those 10 minutes to get a coffee and get herself ready to start at the time she begins to get paid for?

Goldmandra Wed 12-Feb-14 12:06:49

In my twenties I loved my office job, arrived early, worked through lunch, was very conscientious, worked at least an hour more than I was paid every day, etc.

Then they expanded and the ethos of the office changed. I still went over and above but it became expected rather than appreciated and we all started having to sign in. One day I was disciplined because I signed in at 7.58 but my watch was wrong and it was 8.00 and a shit stirring little git grassed me up. When he was then promoted over my head due to his maleness and not his ability, I worked to rule and left as soon as possible. Their loss.

MrsOakenshield Wed 12-Feb-14 18:25:24

gosh, some of you would have hated where I used to work (the industry has changed a lot since) - I would say at least half the staff smoked, so there were a fair amount of fag breaks (and quite often non-smokers would come to, just to get away from their desk for a bit), if suppliers took you out to lunch, it was expect that either you wouldn't come back at all, or you'd come back 3 sheets to the wind, take down your voicemail messages in a drunken scrawl and then head back out to the pub, and that really, everyone knocked off at 4ish (back in the pub) on a Friday.

Salad days.

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Wed 12-Feb-14 21:59:12

I arrive at work, grab a coffee from the cafe and then head to my desk. So it's more my entering the building routine.

Personally I don't think you should start work and immediately take time to get coffee unless you are at your desk before your start time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now