to just want some STRONG DRUGS

(112 Posts)
Coldlightofday Fri 07-Feb-14 21:51:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PavlovtheCat Tue 11-Feb-14 23:54:54

cold don't lurk. And get your feet off the coffee table <stern voice>

<passes heat pack> you need one of these.

livelablove Tue 11-Feb-14 22:59:02

Sorry to hear that, it does sound horrible. Yes do go back to doc if your symptoms change or worsen. I know they said next week but that is if the pain is under control with your pain meds.

NearTheWindmill Tue 11-Feb-14 22:44:06

I think you need to get back to the doctors. Hope you get on OK.

Coldlightofday Tue 11-Feb-14 22:37:16

pure dihydrocodeine is your friend (but if you start seeing things coming through the skirting board stop taking them for a bit)

- been through discetomy and fusion C5/C6 for exploded disc and cracked vertebrae

Vintagecakeisstillnice Tue 11-Feb-14 19:56:11

So glad to hear your feeling a bit better and getting some decent pain control!

Push for the physio, and a scan/ MRI.

I was tempted to cancel my last scan as I was having a good week, showed some serious changes that meant a big change in my management. Not trying to scaremonger but in the same way you can get used to pain killers you can learn to minimise pain.

I'm bladdering on arent I?

Don't forget your court shoes grin

livelablove Mon 10-Feb-14 22:13:07

grin

NearTheWindmill Mon 10-Feb-14 21:37:13

LOL smile

Coldlightofday Mon 10-Feb-14 21:36:00

The position where there is the least pressure in the disks is lying on your back with your legs up with your hips and knees at 90 degrees. So lie on floor with legs up on a coffee table or similar.

NearTheWindmill Mon 10-Feb-14 21:21:36

I'm glad you have some relief now. Sends virtual pearls and twinset across internet.

Tries to find inner rock chick but just can't do it grin.

Hello Pavlov. How's the neck bearing up?

Back pain is an utter bastard - absolutely debilitating. Mine has never been the same since a posterior birth.

livelablove Mon 10-Feb-14 21:12:43

The first GP I spoke to was very dismissive even though I couldn't get out of bed. He did prescribe me some codeine at least though.
Cold you should come on the back pain chat thread as Pavlov saidwww.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/1992406-The-Back-Story-Continues all kinds of back pain welcome. Its quite busy I think as there are quite a few sufferers on here and we spend a lot of time lying down resting our backs. Thank god for this smartphone so I can chat while lying down.

PavlovtheCat Mon 10-Feb-14 21:10:40

grin you must try harder - You were not dramatic enough. It's not enough to BE in pain, you have to have an oscar for showing it in the Correct Manner and to someone who gives a shit

Coldlightofday Mon 10-Feb-14 21:03:01

Coldlightofday Mon 10-Feb-14 21:02:38

PavlovtheCat Mon 10-Feb-14 20:56:37

the reason I think we knew live is that 1) back problems usually mean high level painkillers are needed and 2) the medical professionals and others tend to minimise the level of pain experienced and thus don't prescribe the right drugs unless you appear weeping in a heap on the floor of their surgery.

PavlovtheCat Mon 10-Feb-14 20:54:24

I didn't even see them, only spoke to them that should have said. If they hadn't spoken to me, but prescribed, that would be awesome!

PavlovtheCat Mon 10-Feb-14 20:53:00

<live> we need to poach cold over to our thread grin

I didn't even speak to them. There was another time I phoned OOH and asked for diazepam. It was a Sunday, and he gave me a lecture about how often people use diazepam to 'come down' on a sunday and it was not usual to give them out via OOH. However, we then had a chat about the exact issues with my back and he had the same problem, same disc! so he gave me 4 to last me til I saw my GP. I am clearly just a good blagger grin

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Mon 10-Feb-14 20:52:08

Glad things are on their way to improving OP smile

livelablove Mon 10-Feb-14 20:49:03

Hi Pavlov <waves> that's what I thought when I saw the thread title too, i bet it's a back problem.

Coldlightofday Mon 10-Feb-14 20:39:41

PavlovtheCat Mon 10-Feb-14 20:38:18

and also, re omeprazole etc, I was on NSAID for 6 months or so before a pharmacist friend questioned why I had not been prescribed it. So, it is certainly not standard practice to get it prescribed for short term NSAID prescriptions, whether or not it should be. I had to ask my GP for it, and he seemed surprised I had asked, but didn't disagree that I should have it, and since then (a long time) he always asks me if I need more, and does blood test from time to time to check kidney function (only have one) and whatever else needs checking.

PavlovtheCat Mon 10-Feb-14 20:33:58

I just knew when I read the title it was going to be your back! Bad backs definitely have a tendancy to make people need strong painkillers!

I am so sorry you have been left in pain for so long, but glad you finally have a doc who has a clue. I hope it feels better soon and you don't have significant long term pain from it. disc problems are horrendous.

I spoke to OOH the first time my back 'went', diagnosed at that time as 'mechanical pain/muscular' over the phone! I was given 30/500. Next time, spoke to different doc, was given 30mg codeine straight, told to take 2 x 30, with paracetamol seperately, AND some 2mg diazepam. it's so inconsistent. Both times were over the phone. The second time helped more, as the diazepam sorted out the muscle spasms quicker.

Coldlightofday Mon 10-Feb-14 20:32:25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now