to just want some STRONG DRUGS

(112 Posts)
Coldlightofday Fri 07-Feb-14 21:51:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoffinMum Fri 07-Feb-14 22:35:19

Also on pain management courses they recommend relaxation exercises, for example the kind you download onto an iPhone of whatever.

livelablove Fri 07-Feb-14 22:39:00

I got a visit when my back went, but it was so bad I just could not walk. I rang 111 at about 10pm as pain was becoming unbearable. They connected me with a doctor and this doctor arranged a locum to visit but no-one came and had to ring 111 again. Eventually a doctor arrived at about 5am. This doctor gave me an injection but it only helped a bit, still couldn't get up. Dh had to go and fetch my prescription from the chemist next day also, so I did not get anything but the injection right away.

CocoCha Fri 07-Feb-14 22:39:31

Double your codeine by taking 2 neurofen plus with 2 cocodamol.

Vintagecakeisstillnice Fri 07-Feb-14 23:05:06

Ha ha ha OTC for a ruptured disc, he's fucking taking the piss. I'm awaiting surgery and was discharged fron the hospital on morphine…

I appreciate with a small child you at not want to be on something that heavy but you also need to be able to function.

Tramadol is good as is any of the anti-inflammatories (always take with food).

You need to insist on better pain control.

BooSurprise Sat 08-Feb-14 07:39:05

Completely agree you need better pain control than you currently have, and this can be sorted via 111 and the OOH GP service, however that works in your area. Please do not try to self medicate by taking extra doses of OTC medications that others have suggested.
All medications have side effects and are only suitable to be sold OTC in lower doses, for many reasons. Unless someone knows your medical history then going on random advice from the internet can be quite dangerous.
For example NSAID can trigger asthma attacks and higher dose volterol (diclonfenac) can give you stomach ulcers, that is why medications are prescribed by those who can discuss your history or examine you.
The OOH service should have provision for a home visit if you can't get to the centre, even if this is a nurse practitioner, who could also prescribe some appropriate pain relief.

Vintagecakeisstillnice Sat 08-Feb-14 09:41:45

How are you doing this am?

LongTimeLurking Sat 08-Feb-14 11:21:10

You could try and get some Nurofen Plus (ibuprofen + 15mg Codeine) OTC to take on top of your OTC co-codamol. This would give you a double dose of codeine to keep you going until you can see the doctor.

LongTimeLurking Sat 08-Feb-14 11:23:15

OTC pain killers for a ruptured disc is taking the piss. Even a regular back strain can be so painful and require strong pain killers for a couple of weeks until it settles.

Whatfun Sat 08-Feb-14 11:30:03

I have 2 blown discs so I do empathise. It is excruciating. I am working my way up the painkillers. I am currently on morphine patches. They are stating to work- a bit
I also tried Gabapentin but that sent me completely bonkers. I went to see my Gp whilst on maximum dose. I couldn't get any words out so I just giggled.
I went to see a spinal physio on Thursday. She was absolutely fantastic. She said to use ice packs when it's bad.
I hope your heals very quickly.

How are you doing today?

Vintagecakeisstillnice Sat 08-Feb-14 11:51:27

Gabapentine did nothing for me pain wise but was a bugger to come off. However one of my friends swears by it.

Different strokes etc. . .

I cycle ice packs you can buy reusable ones very cheaply on eBay/ net and disposable ones. I have a few at work for bad days. They're not cheap, but bloody worth it. Bit like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-Branded-CoreIce-Instant-Disposable/dp/B001P5E6KO

Personally I think the biggest issue with back pain is unless you've had it bad and for a length of time it's easy to underestimate how debilitating it is. After all most of us have a twinge now and then.
And it's hidden. Yes I look fine, clean, dressed nice, bit of make up.

But it's taken me 5hours to get to this point, having a shower (can't have a bath, wouldn't be able to get up/out) but just standing in the shower means lying down for an hour afterwards. . .

And on a good day, when you can get out of the house you can bet a million that you'll bump in to your most judgy cat bummed face 'friend'. The fact that 20 minutes in Tesco will leave me struggling for the next two days is ignored.

Sorry this has become a bit of a personal vent here blush.

Anyway hope you're feeling better.

livelablove Sat 08-Feb-14 12:16:50

Gabapentin is more helpful for nerve pain, like sciatica or damaged nerve. Another thing is Amytriptaline that will help with muscle spasms but it is also very strong and some people can't take it.

There is a thread on general health topic called the back story where people with back problems can chat. All levels of back problems welcome, but most are pretty serious.

plutarch14 Sat 08-Feb-14 12:19:52

Get soluble co-codamol. It goes into your bloodstream quicker than the tablets [voice of experience]
Can get otc.

Coldlightofday Sat 08-Feb-14 12:27:34

livelablove Sat 08-Feb-14 12:31:12

That's good cold are you sure you can't afford a taxi? Good luck and I hope they give you a lot of drugs!

Coldlightofday Sat 08-Feb-14 12:38:56

livelablove Sat 08-Feb-14 12:48:30

Haha probably in too much pain to think. I know they are expensive but I think it would be worth it.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Sat 08-Feb-14 16:02:05

vintage I'm sorry that's happened to you (I mean people being disbelieving), that's really rough. I've never had bad back pain but it sounds like the sort of thing that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

ShredMeJillianIWantToBeNatalie Sat 08-Feb-14 16:03:01

Good luck OP, let us know how you get on.

StarJumpAlertTakeCover Sat 08-Feb-14 16:24:42

Wow Boffin that's way too much ibuprofen. It's very easy to over do it with this kind of pain and when mixing different drugs.

Vintagecakeisstillnice Sat 08-Feb-14 16:45:53

Thanks Shred.

It's just if you whinge you're being a drama lama, if you try to be upbeat, well you can't really be that bad.

Buggered either way.

And to put my feminist hat on women are expected to soldier on more so if you have kids.

Anyway OP any joy?

Coldlightofday Sat 08-Feb-14 17:33:09

NearTheWindmill Sat 08-Feb-14 17:38:49

Oh love

ValenciaOrange Sat 08-Feb-14 17:46:23

Have you tried Paramol. Its paracetamol and dihydro-codeine. The pharmacist told me it is the strongest OTC painkiller available.

Vintagecakeisstillnice Sat 08-Feb-14 18:11:13

Oh sweetheart, I know it doesn't help but sorry.
Is there anyone who can help?

Sadly I think this is going to have to be a pester thing.
Please if you can go back again. Use non emotional phrases. Don't be brave, most of us try to be.

TMI alert what got it through to my GP was stating that (a) even though I had the urge to poo sitting von the loo for any time at all was too painful. (B) And the same went for sex the libido was still there(occasionally ) but no position was possible. Saying it really hurts doesn't help. You need to say I can not do…
Sit on loo
Pick up little one
Stand long enough to fry an egg/ boil pasta etc.

Yes drug seekers use back pain as it's hard to prove/ disprove but that doesn't mean they have the right to treat all as drug seekers.

Push back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now