about (less-than-D)H's trip to Dublin?

(88 Posts)
OAM2009 Fri 07-Feb-14 13:08:08

We have a 10 month old baby who will not sleep anyway but has an ear infection at the moment. We also have a 3.5yo and a just turned 5 year old. I was 40 in December but stayed local due to our young family. DH told his dad he wanted to go see Wales play Ireland in Dublin in the rugby Six Nations so his dad booked flights, a hotel, got tickets and off they go!

He'll fly at 5.30am tomorrow and land back here at 5.30pm on Monday. AIBU to be unbelievably pissed off that he's done this?

SlimJiminy Fri 07-Feb-14 16:39:44

FGS, don't let MIL come to stay if she will be more of a hinderance than a help. And I don't mean due to her disability. They just sometimes are.

I'd be pissed off too - about your birthday and now his.

Hmm... fwiw, here's what I think I'd do: weekend away without him/kids. A pub/B&B somewhere fairly remote with a log fire and wine. And a mate and/or decent book for company. A belated birthday treat that won't be cut short this time...?

whois Fri 07-Feb-14 16:40:44

Massive drop feed!

muser31 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:42:49

ynbu he needs to make sure your rrelaxation time is prioritised as well as his, and also discuss plans with u.

Laquitar Fri 07-Feb-14 16:43:48

Since Fil booked the weekend away how about mil coming around and give you a hand? You can even go to a cinema or something if dcs sleep.

If you stay on your own make sure you take it easy, get a dvd for the older children, a nice take away for you, and a bottle of wine.
When he is back arrange a night out with your friends.i wouldn't book a spa myself just because i dont like them.

kitsmummy Fri 07-Feb-14 16:52:18

I thought you were unreasonable but now, due to your drip feed update, YANBU, there's obviously one set of rules for you and one for DH.

Your FIL is obviously an arse but so is your DH. He "jokingly" asked for this, surely knowing the was a chance it would happen. I think his "joking" element was done to get him off the hook so that he could pretend that he hadn't instigated it.

Laquitar MIL is going to stay with OP - she has mobility problems, only has use in one arm and will be no help at all.....OP will be looking after her as well as the kids!

Laquitar Fri 07-Feb-14 17:07:20

Oh i have missed a whole post there - sorry.

Blimey, NBU then.

mynewpassion Fri 07-Feb-14 17:12:24

But she was going to watch the older children while op was in labour. Her condition has not changed. Fil, able bodied was going to be there to assist her. If he is an arse, it is likely mil would have done most of the caring for the children.

anothernumberone Fri 07-Feb-14 17:17:24

Definitely NBU. I would say no about MIL too. Has your DH any siblings who can take care of her? TBH your DH sounds a bit of an arse.

OAM2009 Fri 07-Feb-14 17:24:48

blush sorry, did not mean to drip feed. There actually was a genuine reason - my relationship with my FIL is currently very fraught (on my side, at least, he's as insensitive and ignorant as usual). I didn't include those details about our relationship as I wanted to know if I was being unreasonable about a simple weekend away, because he is involved (started it all).

kitsmummy, clearly, you've met my DH. That is exactly what I thought and have bollocked him for - manipulative B***ard angry

mynewpassion Parents in law as childcare was not my first choice as I would have asked local friends to help but DH wanted them to be involved and they did it for DS1. FIL does actually do most of it, has changed nappies, etc. (This time round, DS3 born at 3pm. DH went home at 9pm to all lights on, TV blaring and both children still dressed and downstairs. PIL were were gone within 30 minutes of DH returning and didn't come back till baby was 10 days old.)

Mishmashfamily Fri 07-Feb-14 17:33:31

Oam your dh is a knob for letting his father continue this way

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 07-Feb-14 18:55:27

Why, to top it all, is your MiL visiting that w/e as well?! Has your FiL figured out you don't like him?!

nogreythatmatters Fri 07-Feb-14 19:14:06

He did well getting tickets for the Ireland V Wales rugby international.

I know loads of people who unsuccessfully tried to get tickets for it, they are like gold dust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now