to think MN should check with the OP before publicising a thread?

(68 Posts)
HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 12:51:23

I know it's their site. I know people can tweet it. But do you think they should check before putting a thread on Facebook?

Just in case there's comeback for the OP?

MrsBearWasTired Fri 07-Feb-14 13:04:17

I do think there needs to be a bit of thought before linking. I had an e mail from mnhq publicizing my local site, the thread linked to had the op's mobile number in one post.
Yes, the op shouldn't have put it up there for all to see, but if it wasn't for hq sending me the link I would never have seen it, nor hundreds of others.
I reported the post but the post was still there days later as all hq did was to e mail the op but not delete the post.

That sits very uncomfortably with me and that is just a small group its been promoted to.

AwfulMaureen Fri 07-Feb-14 13:04:54

Holly they'd be checking up all day long...people start threads and then go off to work etc...it's a business and they need to keep their social media very active.

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 13:05:16

Not really - they only put a couple of threads on FB.

wannaBe Fri 07-Feb-14 13:05:22

What thread is it?

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 13:06:12

It's just the maths one. It's interesting - but someone has criticised my tutoring skills.

Sparklingbrook Fri 07-Feb-14 13:06:17

I am confused.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 07-Feb-14 13:06:58

Actively promoted on a medium that not everybody reads. Not everybody reads FB and not everybody that does is interested in MN. Put it in perspective and post in future with the expectation that everything you type will be snatched and promoted across the land...

Imagine having to ask permission from every poster and having to wait for it to be graciously granted... confused

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 07-Feb-14 13:07:01

I aegr egegr withr you3 rHollyr bu3tr wegr allr siegnr u3pr fo rr usinegr ou3r posts

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 13:08:04

What's confusing?
MN have designed a graphic for the FB page. That took some time. And then publicised it.
Would have been nice to check if I was comfortable with what they were doing - actively promoting a discussion.

changedirection Fri 07-Feb-14 13:08:34

Erm... No, YABVU!
This is the internet, if you post anything it is there for anyone to see

Its not some sort of confidential advice session

janeyjampot Fri 07-Feb-14 13:09:12

I agree that there's a difference between posting on a forum and having the thread linked to Facebook. I don't think it would be that difficult to ask, either. There's no shortage of possible threads!

I can see that it might cause the OP a problem, especially if it is about their professional life and can be linked by searching for other posts to their private life. Of course I know that can be done anyway, but to promote a thread on Facebook must massively increase its visibility and popularity.

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 13:09:43

But is there a difference between posting and being there for everyone to see and MN saying - look at this, you must read this discussion?

MrsSquirrel Fri 07-Feb-14 13:09:46

Yes Holly maybe it would have been nice. However, when you post you agree to MN's terms and conditions, which include consenting to the publication of your contribution on Mumsnet and to linked Mumsnet sites.

So YABU, I'm afraid.

If you are unhappy with what they have done with your thread, report your OP and ask them to pull it.

wannaBe Fri 07-Feb-14 13:12:11

holly, by signing up to mn you agree for mn to publish what you write, on their website, on social media, in their books, in the press... shall I go on?

As soon as you publish something on a public internet forum you make it publically available to anyone who wants to read it.

More to the point, if any member of mn reading it wants to publish it to their several hundred closest friends on fb/twitter they can do that too. See the little share links at the bottom of the thread???

You have no comeback here I'm afraid. Mn don't owe you anything, you agreed to the terms and conditions when you signed up as a member. If you don't like it then don't post here. It's very simple.

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 07-Feb-14 13:12:20

I know what you mean - my live labour thread turned up in the Round-up apparently - that there's a difference between "in Active among dozens of others where any MNer might stumble across it" and "on Facebook as one of two promoted threads, where any MNer and all their friends might see it".

Many weirdos people check FB more often, and more closely, than MN Talk. A thread from one of the quieter boards (ie not _Chat or AIBU) would get disproportionate amounts of traffic.

It's different again from being a DOTD or in the roundup email.

It would be kind if MN told us what kind of thread gets on FB. I expect the main criterion is "caught the eye of the staffer on duty" tbh.

Sparklingbrook Fri 07-Feb-14 13:13:10

It may be a topic on The Wright Stuff or in the Daily Mail yet....

TheBeautifulVisit Fri 07-Feb-14 13:13:11

Why do MUmsnet have a Facebook page? What's the point of it exactly?

Mintyy Fri 07-Feb-14 13:13:12

As someone wisely said upthread, a timely reminder for all.

K8Middleton Fri 07-Feb-14 13:13:14

I think you need to self regulate and if you don't want things splashed all over the internet or the papers or tv talk shows don't publicise it on the internet. That includes posting on Mumsnet.

So no, I don't think they should have to check at all.

K8Middleton Fri 07-Feb-14 13:14:18

I have had two posts withdrawn when I thought better of it.

Yama Fri 07-Feb-14 13:15:27

I agree with you Holly. Common decency in my opinion.

Sparklingbrook Fri 07-Feb-14 13:15:31

I have been quoted in the Daily Mail and The Sunday Telegraph Magazine. grin Highbrow topics of Amanda Holden and Tunnocks Teacakes.

mrsjay Fri 07-Feb-14 13:16:58

the wright stuff used a screen shot of a thread the other week i was shock I know all the T n Cs but was still shocked to see it on tv, I think mumsnet should have a get out somewhere or at least give the poster warning that the post is going to be shared so it can be deleted

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 07-Feb-14 13:18:05

I once got quoted in the Telegraph, typo and all. And the bastards [sic]ed me too.

<hands back pedant badge>

WooWooOwl Fri 07-Feb-14 13:20:04

Yabu. This is the nature of posting on a website, especially one that you know is in the public eye.

MN do check it's ok with you if they link to or publicise one of your threads when you sign up to the site. And it's common sense anyway, mn is a business, not a public service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now