to think MN should check with the OP before publicising a thread?

(68 Posts)
HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 12:51:23

I know it's their site. I know people can tweet it. But do you think they should check before putting a thread on Facebook?

Just in case there's comeback for the OP?

Scarletohello Fri 07-Feb-14 12:52:02

When did they do that?

Of course they shouldn't. It's a public forum, they own the copyright. We all know this!

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 12:54:14

I know they own the copyright and it's their site. And it's public.

But actively publicising a thread - which could have repercussions?

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 07-Feb-14 12:55:19

They don't own the copyright - you own what you create.

What they have is an automatic non-exclusive licence which means they can use it however they like without prior notification. That's what we signed up to.

I agree though that it would be nice of them to give an OP a headsup.

Visitors and members' contributions to the website
Thanks for your contributions to Mumsnet. Please bear in mind that Mumsnet is international and is accessible throughout the world and that by contributing in any way to the website, as above, you are consenting to the publication of your contribution on Mumsnet and to linked Mumsnet sites.

From MNHQ Disclaimer ^

If you don't want it on FB don't post on here.

daisychain01 Fri 07-Feb-14 12:56:10

I agree, I have often wondered how the threads that are featured on the Discussions of the Day get there - and whether they seek permission first.

I'm not sure on what basis those threads appear ... are they 'most active' on that day, or some other criteria.

Who knows confused

SelectAUserName Fri 07-Feb-14 12:56:38

If the thread could have 'repercussions', it's for the OP to consider whether it is appropriate to post in the first place on a public forum.

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 07-Feb-14 12:56:49

I would hope they would have the sensitivity not to publicise something sensitive and identifying - most I see are fairly bland "what's in your lunchbox" type threads.

Penis beaker was an obvious error exception.

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 12:56:50

I just think it would be nice to check - we would like to link your thread on FB. Would that be ok?

ThePearShapedToad Fri 07-Feb-14 12:57:20

If there are repercussions from writing on the internet, on a public forum, which can be read by anyone, then maybe the OP shouldn't be writing it... Or make themselves less identifiable

We all tick the terms and conditions when we sign up, we're all grownups, we can't expect MNHQ to hold our hand everytime we cross the road confused

YABU

manicinsomniac Fri 07-Feb-14 12:57:24

I have to say I've never considered that things we post here could end up on facebook - is mumsnet connected to facebook in some way?

I think I need to read the small print!

Exactly Select.

What repercussions are we envisaging?

fairylightsatchristmas Fri 07-Feb-14 12:57:37

surely the whole point of a public forum is that it is public. People have got very blase about this kind of thing but if you put some thing on the net it can be there forever for anyone to find, link to or reproduce (as we keep trying to explain to our soon to be in the job market 6th form students at work)

Mumsnet has it's own FB page. Stuff off here gets put on there. It's no secret.

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 12:58:39

I think there's a difference between a passive thread on a forum - which people have to find and an actively promoted thread.

whois Fri 07-Feb-14 12:59:21

YABU. It's a public forum.

Look at Penis Beaker. That's a good example of what not to post.

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 13:00:33

It's just freaked me out seeing a thread that I started on here suddenly being actively promoted on FB.

wannaBe Fri 07-Feb-14 13:01:24

you should never post anything online that you wouldn't want anyone else to read, on the basis that anyone could already be reading it. mn is not anonymous after all, however much you think it might be.

Anyone could publicise a thread on fb, or twitter, if you don't want your life to be public then... err... don't post it on public internet forums. It's hardly rocket science is it? I'm always a bit hmm at people who seem to think that publishing the intimate details of their lives to mn's million or so members is somehow different to them being posted on facebook...

CrazyOldCatLady Fri 07-Feb-14 13:02:10

It's in the public domain as soon as it's posted. I don't really see what difference it makes if it's on Facebook? You're still as anonymous (or not) as you are here.

Was it a deeply personal thread Holly?

i have had threads on MN FB and took it as a compliment. confused

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Fri 07-Feb-14 13:03:22

If something has repercussions the op shouldn't put it on the internet on a public forum. However if someone posts an obviously identifying thread on fb then they are twats who should be boiled.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 07-Feb-14 13:03:23

Why should MNHQ have to check in with you, or anybody else? You're posting on a public forum and everybody should remember that. A timely reminder perhaps?

I wouldn't find any threads on FB because I can't be bothered to log in but I do post here.

HollyMiamiFLA Fri 07-Feb-14 13:03:27

I just think there's a difference between just being one of 1000s of threads on Chat and suddenly being actively promoted on FB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now