to think that Always infinity is the worst pad I've tried in my life?

(117 Posts)
MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Fri 07-Feb-14 01:31:03

And I'm the perfect person to test it out. I've suffered from heavy periods for about four years. Had all sorts of tests done. Tried the Mirena IUD and didn't get on with it as exogenous hormones don't seem to suit me. I'm now on the copper coil for contraception due to my reaction to hormones and am fully aware that this comes with the side effect of even heavier periods. I take tranexamic acid and 800mg ibuprofen three times a day just to have periods most women would think were normal/kind of heavy.

I saw the advert for Always infinity and even though I did a double-take at the price, I bought the night time pads at a ridiculous price for 8 pads to use during the day. I thought if it did what it promised, I don't mind paying the price.

Oh my goodness, these are even worse than the budget pads you can buy for a pound! I had the worst night's sleep last night where I was so tired I didn't want to get out of bed, but I had flooded and needed to get up and put a decent pad on. And I had done my usual trick of stuffing toilet tissue in my knickers as extra protection.

Am I alone in thinking this product is shite and a complete con?

LittleBabyPigsus Fri 07-Feb-14 10:21:51

Kveta yes, I get along well with Sainsbo own-brand. They're not as soft as Bodyform but cheaper which means they often win grin

Sorry about your experiences.

Tuhlulah yep to night pads never being wide enough. The new night time lil-lets ones are good because they are wider at the bottom, but why no other night pad has this I don't know.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Fri 07-Feb-14 11:08:56

Aahh, thanks for the explanation of doubling up on pads...I was confused because I didn't get how it would work with the plastic backing, but I suppose the bottom pad is wider so the blood's not going through the first pad, but around it.

Hmm, mixed reviews about Cerazette...knowing my luck I'd get the side effects, but I don't think I can carry on with this coil. I think I've exhausted the alternatives, so what's next apart from abstinence? confused

A consultant mentioned a procedure that thins the lining of your womb. But then explained it would mean I would be highly unlikely to carry another baby. God, how many more years of this?!

Will have a look at the Sainsbos ones as they've had a mention a few times on this thread.

Tululah grin at nappy troll...I didn't even know that was a thing! Only on MN, eh? And thanks for the suggestion of getting iron levels checked out.

today Why do I feel weird at the thought of using Tena lady? I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures.

LadyMaryLikesCake Fri 07-Feb-14 11:18:01

The lillets night time pads are good but not a lot is going to stop Niagra once it starts flowing. They give patients incontinence pads on the Gynae ward, you could try this.

I've been taking cerazette for a few months. I was a lot a bit of a short tempered miserable bugger over Christmas but it's eased off now (may have been work ishues and stuff). It has reduced the flow a great deal so may be worth a try?

I didn't think the infinity pads lived up to the hype but they are comfy, and expensive!

mrsjay Fri 07-Feb-14 11:23:19

oh I never can spell this BUT Melafenic acid is great for reducing flow not sure about your contraception though but I had M A as a teenager young adult then again in my mid 30s I still take them now and again,

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Fri 07-Feb-14 11:28:47

I don't know why so many people are mentioning how comfy these Infinity pads are...I've never found a pad comfortable or uncomfortable confused.

mrsjay Sadly, I have tried M A too. Gave me really bad stomach pains. I'm starting to annoy myself.

LadyMaryLikesCake Fri 07-Feb-14 11:29:45

It's more comfy than the rest. wink

mrsjay Fri 07-Feb-14 11:32:19

mrsjay Sadly, I have tried M A too. Gave me really bad stomach pains

OH ok dd1 didnt get on with it either said it made her feel sick I have no bother with it, what about an implant ?

My DD, has to take M Acid, she has had to have a coil fitted at 17, because of PCOS. It is the only thing that has lessoned the pain. She finds that Always 8 hour pads doubled up work for her, her bleeds are horrendous.

I have similar now that I am going through the Peri Menopause and used Always, doubled up, until someone suggested Tenna type pads for overnight, I still use Always of a day, but tenna overnight. I still need to change during the night, but they don't leak.

I find that the Tenna light pads are better than liners, as well.

Not everyone can use internal Sanpro.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Fri 07-Feb-14 11:46:37

what about an implant ?

I'm veering towards the Cerazette idea if it can actually reduce bleeding as well.

To the Cerazette users, have any of you noticed an effect on your libido?

poorbuthappy Fri 07-Feb-14 11:47:25

I like Always because they never leak and I do find them comfy.
BUT they now make me itch so I am looking for an alternative pad.

Any suggestions?

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Fri 07-Feb-14 11:49:18

If anyone mentions 'comfy' again I want them banished from this thread! grin

LadyMaryLikesCake Fri 07-Feb-14 11:51:19

I'm a single mum so don't know about that, MyChildDoesntNeedSleep. I do have a lot more energy though (could possibly be down to the fact that I was severely anaemic before due to Aunty Flo but I'm bleeding less).

Comfy <scarpers>

BreconBeBuggered Fri 07-Feb-14 11:58:05

I find own brand incontinence pads are fine, and I feel less squeamish about buying those than ones with Tena all over the packet. They're a decent bit wider than even the biggest sanitary towels, plus they curve slightly upwards, meaning less risk of leakage down the sides. You'd never get two in your pants for doubling up, mind.

Those Infinity pads look horrible to me, anyway. I don't want them to mould to my body shape like they show in the advert. They look as though they'd be pinching at your labia the second you got up.

Cocolepew Fri 07-Feb-14 12:11:07

My 12 year old DD like them grin. Its because they arent too wide for her, shes very skinny. She uses the long ones because she can have a heavy flow.

DD1 still uses Always long ordinary ones, they aren't pefumed, I checked after reading about the smelly ones on here. She uses MA for heavy periods.

wakemeupnow Fri 07-Feb-14 12:14:33

I have been known to put a baby's nappy in my knickers at night when bleeding heavily , just for the comfort of knowing I wont have to wash the sheets in the morning blush

magentastardust Fri 07-Feb-14 12:21:50

I would have said the same about the Ibroprofen too, It has been a while but used to work in a chemist and remember the pharmacist recommending Ibroprofen for my period pain as it would break down/thin the clots and reduce cramping.

I am sure you have tried pretty much everything but what about the Always night time ones-blue pack? I found them quite good when extremely heavy and they were wider and longer.

AuditAngel Fri 07-Feb-14 12:36:05

Ladies, I salute you for having to deal with this, I'm blessed that Mirena suits me and now I occasionally have to use a panty liner on certain days, but these are few and far between.

Poor, have you tried the Always silk? http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/always-ultra-with-silk-10-long-plus-13035 when I was pregnant with DD1 then again with DD2 I had unstable placenta praevia and kept bleeding. I found the cover on the always towels got irritating, but the silk ones were fine.

AuditAngel Fri 07-Feb-14 12:36:44
Slippydippysoap Fri 07-Feb-14 12:46:37

Natracare (or something like that) from all good lentil shops are amazing. Super soft, no plasticky rustling and absorbent enough to manage right after I have birth.

And although it might sound mental, I swear my periods are lighter when I use them.

Slippydippysoap Fri 07-Feb-14 12:47:04

*gave not have!

poorbuthappy Fri 07-Feb-14 13:03:08

Audit, will have a look at them ta.

Shelbury Fri 07-Feb-14 13:05:10

Now Always are perfumed I just cannot have them anywhere near me - like other posters they make me itch intensely. I've used lilets towels and Boots own this month and both have been great, although Natracare are my first choice when our Waitrose has them in stock...

LadyMaryLikesCake Fri 07-Feb-14 13:25:54

Abel and cole sell those, slippy. They are not bad but I found the backing came away a little when I tried to change them. I'm looking for a good lentil shop here as I don't always remember to order them (and the Waitrose here is tiny). They used to sell them in Boots, I can't see them now.

I've no idea why anyone would want to put something highly bleached and scented near their fanjo. I can't use a mooncup so there isn't a lot of choice.

Eatriskier Fri 07-Feb-14 13:47:30

Pre Mirena I had similar periods, but now I can get by with a super plus or moon cup and a towel, most nights at least. Tried the infinity pads, I liked them but not enough to warrant the price. If they cost the same as regular price I may switch. I'm using Aldi's at the moment though, and they're brilliant.

wakemeup why did I never think of that??!!?!??!

AfricanExport Fri 07-Feb-14 13:57:47

I like them. They are so comfortable and you don't even feel like you're wearing anything.

Definitely an improvement in my books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now