Driving Alone At Night - Harassment - Anyone Else?

(201 Posts)
LessMissAbs Thu 06-Feb-14 21:42:46

Tonight, while driving through roadworks on a motorway with a speed limit of 50mph, I was tailgated by a car with its full beam on. Really close tailgating. Smaller, less powerful car than mine so when I accelerated back up to national speed limit, it got left behind. It then caught up and tailgated again. Went on for miles. Eventually I slowed down to about 40mph, they were forced to overtake, and I continued to drive slowly so they didn't follow me home or find out where I lived. I'm pretty sure I was targeted because even in the dark, they noticed I was a lone woman driver (there were 3 young males in the car).

This has happened to me a few times. Has anyone else experienced it? I once had a much worse incident but want to see if other people have had similar experiences before going into that.

notyummy Mon 10-Feb-14 07:47:48

It seems like there are two kinds of incident here. One involves aggressive drivers tailgating others and behaving like a knob. I face these occasionally, as does my husband. The other incidents involve clearly dangerous individuals in terms of their specific intent to women and strike me as people who are intent on committing a criminal act (as opposed to an impatient-"/aggressive idiot in a car. I have never encountered one of these in 20 years of driving and none of my friends appear to (it sounds like that sort if thing you would mention.) Now we may have been lucky. I would say that I drive a lot, and have always needed to. I spend at least 12-15 hours a week in the car driving long distances for work, before factoring in all the short journeys that are domestic related. I drive all over the UK on my own for social reasons and always have done. I hope this thread doesn't make a nervous driver think that they are going to be the frequent victim of a sexually motivated crime because I would question the amount of evidence for that. There is plenty of evidence all around of equal opportunity knobs in cars- I watch them scare a range of people on yen roads everyday. It is true that the vast majority of men, but I think they choose to pick on anyone who happens to hold them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now