to not separate new born clothes?

(61 Posts)
mindthegap01 Thu 06-Feb-14 20:50:48

I never gave it any thought before, but a couple of people were surprised that I don't wash my baby's clothes separately from mine and DH's. AND I use fabric softener. Am I normal? What do other people do? Thanks!

Never separated anything, although I only ever use non-bio powder and no conditioner. I never washed brand new clothes before wear either. Or sheets before use. And I only washed second-hand stuff before use if it was actually dirty.

WhereIsMyHat Fri 07-Feb-14 09:33:14

How could you, your poor baby!

Only joking,baby clothes have had no special treatment here. I use the same biological (!!!) powder and fabric softner for everyone.

SomethingkindaOod Fri 07-Feb-14 09:37:13

I did this with my eldest, in fact I went a little OTT in the first few months after he was born, everything sterilized and washed with the purest stuff available etc. it lasted until he was around 3 months old. 13 years and 3 children later everything gets bunged into the washer together! grin

StuckOnARollercoaster Fri 07-Feb-14 09:40:15

Now can you get angel tears and doves in aldi? wink

Only separation here is by colour - darks, brights and whites. Will throw towels into those loads as well. Unless there's something delicate in there we do at 60 with non bio, no conditioner.
I know it's bad for environment but have been recommended that while we try to sort out DDs eczema in case she is reacting to dust mites which are only killed at 60 and apparently they exist even in a relatively clean house.

GiveTwoSheets Fri 07-Feb-14 09:41:29

I washed my babies clothes separate although i could of washed them on my own tears amount of crying i did over the washing as baby was continuously sick.

Always use soften as I'm a loon who can't touch wet washing otherwise

Pascha Fri 07-Feb-14 09:46:28

Ha. DS1 got his stuff washed in non-bio and pure conditioner as a baby. DS2 gets his chucked in with everything else washed using whatever's on offer at the time.

Can't remember the last time I even bought non-bio.

I wash towels and bed sheets separately but otherwise everything gets shoved in together, regardless of colour, washing requirements or owner!

wonderingsoul Fri 07-Feb-14 09:49:10

up will a year i alwasy put just babys clothes together.....

i dunno why.. just seemed liek the right thing to do .. but i fyou think about it it doesnt really make much differeance does it?

wonderingsoul Fri 07-Feb-14 09:51:49

i never washed new clothes ethier.. unless they where second hand from some oen i didnt know.

but surely the reason they tell you to do, is becasue of the chemaicals that are psrayed on it to keep them crinkles and clean free is the same stuff they use with dead bodys?

or has some had me going.. for like 7 years?

ChunkyPickle Fri 07-Feb-14 09:56:57

Never separated them. I do separate whites though (or at least I try to) because they seem to become instantly grey if not (even with stuff I was sure was colourfast).

I tend to wash towels and bedsheets separately, but that's because I wash them hot and sometimes add a bit of bleach (if I've been less than careful with the colour separating for instance). It's not a firm rule though.

I use bio liquid (the nice smelling stuff) and can't be bothered with conditioner.

ChunkyPickle Fri 07-Feb-14 09:58:03

Oh! Except! DS2's skin reacted to something in mothercare babygrows so I had to wash all of those before he could wear them. Most of his other clothes were second hand though so I don't know if it was just something about mothercare or about all new clothes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now