To think you are going to make a hot drink, you should at least boil the friffing kettle?

(75 Posts)
MarmaladeShatkins Thu 06-Feb-14 10:49:55

hmm

I've wondered for years just what is wrong with the tea/coffee that DH makes for me; there's usually the right amount of milk, sugar and what-not but something is amiss.

Yesterday it all came clunking into place when he was making a coffee for us whilst I was putting some washing in; he doesn't leave the kettle to boil! He takes it off the heat just before it gets to boiling! shock

That is what has been wrong all these years! The lazy arsepart.

Obviously am going to LTB. He doesn't see what is wrong with this which makes it all the more devastating.

DuchessFanny Sun 09-Feb-14 12:49:26

smile

nickymanchester Sun 09-Feb-14 12:39:41

Thank you Duchess

Pigsmummy Sun 09-Feb-14 12:22:47

For coffee you are not meant to boil the water, just before boiling is perfect. For tea the water needs to boil and never boiled twice. I read this in a 1970's Good Housekeeping book, maybe he read the same book?

DuchessFanny Sun 09-Feb-14 12:15:43

It's a solis, my friend has one and I always liked it, so when my last ( hated !) kettle died i got one.

nickymanchester Sun 09-Feb-14 11:59:06

DuchessFanny

Do you mind me asking, what's the name of your fancy kettle?

DuchessFanny Sun 09-Feb-14 11:47:23

Thank you mrsvamos I stole it from a character in a book.

My DH is always offering a coffee just before bed, I'm all confused it's because his parents only ever drink coffee ( we have to buy in extra when they visit !) or alcohol ( we always have that in the house - obvs !)

whitesugar Fri 07-Feb-14 22:22:45

I feel your pain Marmalade! I would LTB. I take my tea so seriously and I expect my loved ones to make it exactly how I like it. In the early days when my now teenage DC started making tea I regularly sent them back to the kitchen. My DD is a bit flaky and sometimes will still bring me a cup of swill. When I send it back she looks at me like she could kill me. I am suspicious that she spits in it when she makes the new cup. I bought myself a book for Christmas called Put the Kettle On and it is all short stories about people who love their tea and how tea is about so much more than just a hot drink. I have told a few people about this book and they look at me like I am missing a few screws. My DCs just shook their heads!

One day in work about 10 years ago the electricity went off. Myself and my colleagues were all fine and laughing until half ten came and went. By 11 o'clock we were climbing the walls. We actually had to leave our workplace to get some tea. Another time I went to visit a friend in hospital who had just had a really serious heart attack. He told me that he had to lie on his back for 6 weeks and was not allowed to sit up. Instead of consoling him I was horrified with the thought that if that happened to me it would mean I wouldn't be able to have a cup of tea. As I am writing this post I realise that very soon I am going to find myself amongst a group of people in a room saying 'My name is whitesugar and I am addited to tea'.

Don't see why it would make a difference cooking spaghetti from the hot tap water, it's the same water.

However, wouldn't like a tepid brew, yuk.

winterhat Fri 07-Feb-14 19:41:29

YANBU. Print out some instructions and leave by the kettle!

ApacheIndian Fri 07-Feb-14 18:56:41

like a motherfucker grin

MrsVamos Fri 07-Feb-14 17:11:56

DuchesseFanny

Great name !

Completely agree re coffee made with milk.

Being the heathen that I am, I only have it occasionally. DH will sometimes make me one just before bed, but I get all confused.com

Surely milky drink before bed = good. Coffee = bad. ?!

LittleBabySqueakSqueak Fri 07-Feb-14 15:31:39

My uncle has a special tap for boiling water. I'm deeply suspicious of it but haven't been to visit since they had it installed.

Misspixietrix Fri 07-Feb-14 14:40:26

Help grin.

Seff Fri 07-Feb-14 13:50:38

To make tea and coffee is simple, no? Boil kettle, pour over teabag. Leave to brew. Remove teabag, then use the ever so slightly cooled kettle water to make coffee.

Although, I have 2 sugars in my brews so it makes sod all difference what I do to them. In our house, the kettle is usually boiled at least twice per brew anyway because we're forgetful. Or we're playing "who's going to make the brews chicken" A game I like to play when DD wants breastfeeding. "Sorry DH, I can't possibly get up to make them!"

ComposHat Fri 07-Feb-14 13:36:37

So do we. Brilliant isn't it? I feel a bit buck Rodgers in the 21st century when I make a drink!

DuchessFanny Fri 07-Feb-14 07:48:50

I've got one of those fancy kettles that does different temperatures, which is brilliant when you all want the same hot drink ... Plus we never use the green tea button and there's another button too that I can't be bothered to go and look at to see what it is.
I sometimes get jaw-clenchy if I see a member of the family press the tea button for coffee or visa versa.
Someone mentioned hot milk and coffee - definitely the way to do coffee - lovely !

At least your Dh doesn't say he's making a cuppa and go boil the kettle thereby using all the energy needed to boil a kettle. Leave for 20 minutes then go back and as the water has cooled boil it all over again therefore wasting more energy and money
Drives me potty and makes me cross. He also leaves the light on in a room and walks away and leaves his radio on. He also never puts the bathroom back the the way he found it when he has a bath.
Phew I feel better for getting that off my chest.
Yanbu by the way.

MadAsFish Fri 07-Feb-14 07:32:48

I just want to say I like the word friffing

I'm enjoying rewengay

Misspixietrix Fri 07-Feb-14 07:22:30

Yep! LTB.

ZingSweetApple Fri 07-Feb-14 06:07:21

Chaos

copy dat

KK

scantilymad Fri 07-Feb-14 05:42:58

I used to put cold water on coffee granules to make a paste before pouring on boiled water to stop the scorching. Am now a Nespresso snob but imo the best coffee in the world is made by my DM. A mug of milk heated in the microwave with coffee stirred in at the last minute. Beautifully frothy and a drink reserved for poorly days off school.

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Fri 07-Feb-14 02:37:06

Bold fail sad

HelpTheSnailsAreComingToGetMe Fri 07-Feb-14 02:34:39

*How I make tea*:

Empty kettle of any old water while checking for loose scale - swill to remove, if any.

Fill from cold tap.

Put tea bags and sweeteners/sugar if desired in mugs.

Boil kettle - once boiled, pour over bags immediately. Stir enough to get bags swirling and take spoon out. Brew 3-4 minutes.

Remove bags, gently holding against side of mug until they stop dripping.

Add milk to taste. Serve and enjoy.

*How DP makes tea*:

Take kettle full of manky cold water and scale, and fill to the brim from tap. No need to make sure it's running cold; it's only going to be boiled, isn't it?

Add tea bags and sweetener to mugs, preferably ones already damp with washing-up water or random previous drinks. Set kettle to boil. Wander off.

Return to kitchen and notice water has gone lukewarm. Set kettle to boil again.

Pour hot water into mugs; about two thirds of the way up is ample. Stir, but leave the spoon in one of the mugs to make sure the water can't circulate.

Wait 60-90 seconds. Alternatively, at this stage you can wander off until the tea is stewed and nearly cold.

Add the milk. Stir a little, then squeeze the bags like a motherfucker to make sure you extract all the astringent tannins.

Deposit milk-seeping tea bags in a small cup, leaving the teaspoon with them so it develops an attractive dark brown patina.

Place mug on table far enough away from partner that from the angle she's at, assuming you've been careful not to fill the mug to within an inch of the rim, it looks like an empty mug and she doesn't realise it's a fresh cup of tea until it's cold.

Ta-da.

LittleBabyPigsus Fri 07-Feb-14 01:58:34

^for making food with

LittleBabyPigsus Fri 07-Feb-14 01:58:25

When I was homeless and in a B&B, I only had a kettle to making food with so I drank a lot of tea. When it broke I had to use the hot tap. I'm sure you can feel my pain MNetters sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now