To think you are going to make a hot drink, you should at least boil the friffing kettle?

(75 Posts)
MarmaladeShatkins Thu 06-Feb-14 10:49:55

hmm

I've wondered for years just what is wrong with the tea/coffee that DH makes for me; there's usually the right amount of milk, sugar and what-not but something is amiss.

Yesterday it all came clunking into place when he was making a coffee for us whilst I was putting some washing in; he doesn't leave the kettle to boil! He takes it off the heat just before it gets to boiling! shock

That is what has been wrong all these years! The lazy arsepart.

Obviously am going to LTB. He doesn't see what is wrong with this which makes it all the more devastating.

Lemongrab Thu 06-Feb-14 13:26:51

HopALongOn grin

Unfortunately for dd, Dh is very particular about his tea (it must be very hot, not too milky or generally weak) and he sends her back to the kitchen to do it again if it doesn't meet his high standards!

Lemongrab Thu 06-Feb-14 13:28:25

Op - Yanbu. Tea made with not quite boiled water? Yuck.

Feminine Thu 06-Feb-14 13:31:42

I feel for you.

While I was pregnant with severe nausea, the only dish I could tolerate was plain spaghetti.

DH used to serve it to me with break neck speed! Found out later that he had been using the water from the hot tap to get it going confused

I was quite done in after finding out. wink

maras2 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:20:36

A few weeks ago DH decided to make me supper < guilty conscience > of chops, veg and instant gravy. So far so good. He made the Bisto granules with water from the tap as he'd run out of patience. He then poured said tepid, clotty gravy all over the food. It looked like brown frogspawn. He's usually a good cook but on this occasion was very , very pissed , hence the guilty conscience.

Coffee shouldn't be made with boiling water as it scolds it....therefore your DH is making coffee correctly. You are not.

Tea on the other hand should be boiling.

GlitzAndGiggles Thu 06-Feb-14 14:33:01

Oh no you poor thing! No one should have to put up with this! Next time you're making the hot drinks he can have hot sodding tap water! I'm a coffee drinker btw but it has to come out the boiling kettle!

GlitzAndGiggles Thu 06-Feb-14 14:34:49

Feminine I use tap water to boil pasta blush

LilacBreastedRoller Thu 06-Feb-14 14:36:45

Eurgh. I bet you are sat there in tears. <hand holdzz>

Enb76 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:40:27

Scolds it... Brilliant. I can just imagine the water giving the coffee a good telling off.

ViviPru Thu 06-Feb-14 14:46:14

Our kettle is being a dick atm. It doesn't automatically flick off when it boils so every usage is a guess at optimal temperature....

MarmaladeShatkins Thu 06-Feb-14 14:53:14

Thanks for the support hunz. Haterz fuk of.

"Coffee shouldn't be made with boiling water as it scolds it....therefore your DH is making coffee correctly. You are not."

HA! Well, I put the milk in first so it does not scald it. HA!

LOL at kettles being dicks.

I am doing the hot water tap thing tonight. Rewengay will be MINE.

ComposHat Thu 06-Feb-14 14:58:06

I don't drink tea. But coffee shouldn't be made with boiling water. Coffee made with boiling water is rank and tastes bitter.

starfishmummy Thu 06-Feb-14 15:01:49

I always have coffee if Dh is making it because he thinks that boiling the kettle and then leaving it ten minutes before makes the drink is fine.
If I say anything, he always says it has boiled.

(Can I suggest that if it tastes different it has been scalded, hence it tasting different....you just prefer the taste of scalded coffee...nothing wrong with that but the correct statement would be that dh does not make coffee how I like it rather than him making it wrong...many argue that the volume of milk is insufficient to disipate enough heat and prevent scalding)

LilacBreastedRoller Thu 06-Feb-14 15:02:09

Clamp a hot water bottle between you thighs for twenty mins then use the water out of that.

starfishmummy Thu 06-Feb-14 15:04:45

Enb the premises manager at my office has put a big notice on the water boiler, saying that hot water scolds
No one dares to take it down though!! I may have to take my red marker pen in one day!!

MarmaladeShatkins Thu 06-Feb-14 15:05:30

WTF though? My stove-top coffee maker boils the water.

MarmaladeShatkins Thu 06-Feb-14 15:06:24

Also, you must boil the water and then leave it for a couple of minutes if we're doing things properly. But the water must have been boiled.

MrsVamos Thu 06-Feb-14 15:12:03

Don't boil a kettle to make coffee ?

Really ?

I put coffee whitener in mine, then add milk afterwards.

I am clearly a heathen.

I have never, ever heard that boiling water scalds coffee. Are we talking about instant coffee, or 'proper' coffee ?

I have got to nearly 40 and never knew this.

What about hot chocolate ? Although everybody knows hot chocolate is best when made with milk, squirty cream on top and flake sprinkles/marshmallows.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 06-Feb-14 15:14:17
MinesAPintOfTea Thu 06-Feb-14 15:14:38
lyingpartnerworries Thu 06-Feb-14 16:03:42

At my parents....

1. Turn tap on, let water run for 5 minutes to clear the pipes!!!!

2. Rinse kettle out, fill up required amount.

3. Boil kettle

4. Tea - Warm pot,

5. Empty kettle, fill kettle, boil kettle

6. Tea in teapot, boiling water in. Brew. Milk in cups then pour tea in.
Coffee - leave for a few minutes then make

We must always use fresh water as pre-boiled water tastes different and spoils the taste.

We get constant remarks like - 'have you run the tap', 'is it fresh water', 'did you warm the pot' etc. did you let it brew long enough etc.

I want to scream at them - Make your own flippin' tea!

HobbetInTheHeadlights Thu 06-Feb-14 16:27:53

DH reheats cold coffee - left and forgotten or left over from peculator thingy. Tastes rank at least to me- I don't know why but he won't have it - its a variation on the you can't be cold because I'm not argument we sometimes have.

When DD1 was bf DH took to bringing me breakfast in bed - so I'd wake up I think - couldn't work out what the issue was with the porridge and why it seemed to be disagreeing with my digestive system so much.

Turned out he was taking the oats - and pouring hot water over them then serving them.

ZingSweetApple Thu 06-Feb-14 16:47:12

I just want to say I like the word friffing

it's good.

that's all

Think she may have stoled it, Zing.

Yurp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now