To think that school children should have easy access to drinking water?

(295 Posts)
Schnullerbacke Wed 05-Feb-14 10:36:16

I'm sure this has been done before so apologies.

My DD (7) has just had a new teacher who changed the routines around a bit. They are now only allowed to drink water at lunch and are not allowed to quickly grab their bottles whilst going down / coming back up from break time or assembly. This is apparently done so they won't have to go to the toilet too often (which is just outside their door).

I think its a bit out of order but before I have a word I wanted to check whether IABU. I know its important to stay hydrated and I don't think this is achieved by drinking before school start and only then drinking again some 3 hours later.

SulkingintheShrubbery Mon 10-Feb-14 06:55:08

I get that you are proud of your DD, LaQueen, but why do you think you feel the need to "boast" anywhere - MN or RL about it? <head tilt>

Your DD is a bright girl who passed an exam that lots of children passed even me and the way you throw it into so many random discussions makes you come across as a bit deranged smile

TamerB Mon 10-Feb-14 07:08:30

But it makes MN fun! grin

ArgyMargy Mon 10-Feb-14 07:55:23

Manic - "the children are required to drink two glasses of water at lunchtime"? You force them??

LaQueenOfHearts Mon 10-Feb-14 08:54:29

But, why on earth should anyone on here care whether I'm thrilled my DD1 passed the 11+ and like to mention it? I don't get it?

Honestly, I wouldn't be remotely bothered if anyone else did the same smile

LaQueenOfHearts Mon 10-Feb-14 08:58:46

Beer I don't know which county you live in? But, DD1's tutor took her first through the Bond books, then onto the Letts before ending with the GL books as he thought they increased in complexity in that order.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ExcuseTypos Mon 10-Feb-14 11:46:07

LaQueen maybe you should name change to LaQueensDDhaspassedher11+, then you wouldn't have to mention it againsmile

LaQueenOfHearts Mon 10-Feb-14 13:42:34

Fab idea ET grin

Damn...I think it might be too many letters <deflated>

LaQueenOfHearts Mon 10-Feb-14 13:47:24

Beer I haven't ever compared the books with Level 6 work, so I don't know anything about that side - but DD's tutor said, on the whole, he wouldn't confidently put a child in for the 11+ unless they were predicted strong Level 5s, by the end of Yr 6 - and preferably already on good Level 5s whilst still in Yr 5, iyswim?

That's not to say, at all, that a child on Level 3s, or Level 4s might not be able to pass the 11+ - but, that once at the grammar they might well struggle, which is how our tutor explained it to us.

If you want any of the ISBNs for the books our DDs have worked through, just let me know - they're right next to me on the desk smile

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 10-Feb-14 17:20:05

' LaQueenOfHearts Mon 10-Feb-14 08:54:29
But, why on earth should anyone on here care whether I'm thrilled my DD1 passed the 11+ and like to mention it? I don't get it?

Honestly, I wouldn't be remotely bothered if anyone else did the same'

OK, I'm going to bite.
Because maybe, just maybe, there are people on Mumsnet whose kids didn't pass the 11+ and who already feel bad about it and don't need you to make them feel worse?

Every time you do it I cringe at how unkind it is. It is natural you're pleased, and we're all capable of being pleased when good stuff happens to people, but there is actually a reason why most people try not to bang on too much about their successes.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PortofinoRevisited Mon 10-Feb-14 17:25:46

We are reminded of the importance of hydration at dd's school and they each have a beaker for water.....mind you a forrin school grin

LaQueenOfHearts Mon 10-Feb-14 20:32:20

Well tunip if you're going to extrapolate the situation to that extent, then no one would ever be able to post anything ever on Mumsnet, because there will always be someone better off (for whatever reason) than someone else.

We'd all essentially be sitting here with bags over our heads, and not speaking/typing...and even then someone could be upset because someone else had a nicer bag than them wink

But, I take your point...fair enough smile

LaQueenOfHearts Mon 10-Feb-14 20:35:19

beer well, let me know if you need them.

What confuses me about children striving for Level 6s, is that, here at least, the grammars take very little if any notice of a child's SATs levels, and instead set their own CAT tests in the 3rd week of Yr 7 - and they purely use the CAT test results to determine/predict the child's future levels/results etc.

SulkingintheShrubbery Mon 10-Feb-14 20:41:43

I thought this thread was about children drinking water in school confused

TheLabradoodlesAunt Mon 10-Feb-14 20:45:07

Oh LaQ - you should send your child to a top private school! DD1 has the choice of Perrier or Evian at hers - she just picks up a bottle when she goes into the classroom and drops it in the recycling bin at the end. But as we're paying £40,000 a year, I think they could offer Badoit, no? And it is vair, vair selective - not just financially, but intellectually too.

Fairenuff Mon 10-Feb-14 20:51:52

the grammars take very little if any notice of a child's SATs levels, and instead set their own CAT tests in the 3rd week of Yr 7 - and they purely use the CAT test results to determine/predict the child's future levels/results etc.

So do the state secondary schools. That's been standard for at least the last six years.

ExcuseTypos Mon 10-Feb-14 21:32:58

Yes Faire, DD1 was in Y7, 10 years ago and she was tested within weeks of starting her comprehensive. I'm sure they were CATs, those scores were then used to set the children in all sciences, maths, English and humanities.

ArgyMargy Mon 10-Feb-14 21:38:08

It was, Sulking, but I think by now we've all agreed to disagree...

PortofinoRevisited Mon 10-Feb-14 22:37:38

Cor - despite me always having been a fan of grammar schools, having been to one myself, I am glad we don't have this faff in Belgium.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now