Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

to ask what was the most annoying book you have ever ploughed through?

(727 Posts)
pandarific Sun 02-Feb-14 13:22:56

I am reading Her Fearful Symmetry for bookclub and I'm a fifth of the way through and hating it. It is just striking me as very cutesy and mimsy wimsy and I have eyerolled so many times in the past 100 pages. (Children, in 2010, in London, happily playing croquet - really? Oh and then there's a ghost. And some creepy twins! Great.)

It wouldn't be so bad, but the fecking thing is 500 pages long.

I know it's a matter of taste as the author's books are massive bestsellers. And I may be being unfair as I seem to just really dislike magical realism in general. And I am open to reading all kinds of different books (last one A Game of Thrones, before that The Kite Runner), and anyway, half the point of a bookclub is to read things you wouldn't pick for yourself. But but. The salesperson at Waterstones even went on about how great it was when I was buying it, ffs! Waaah, boo, disappointment, 500 pages of life wasted etc.

Anyway, I definitely will finish it as it's only fair to give it a real chance, and I will try not to BU and judge so quickly, but I have to ask - what books have you made yourself finish, bookclub or no, that you've hated?

Bigbadgladioli Tue 11-Feb-14 16:41:10

Another one for the Da Vinci Code

And anything by Lee Childs. I'm pretty sure owning one of his books is a marker for sociopathy. Creepy underlying themes.

GoldenGytha Tue 11-Feb-14 17:40:16

A Scots Quair by Lewis Crassic Gibbon,

Had to read all three books for O Grade English years ago, I know the author was local and the books were set in my native Aberdeenshire, but God, I was so bored by them.

Was a real torture to have to plough through them, I've never been tempted to even try them again as an adult.

Caitlin17 Tue 11-Feb-14 17:50:33

Golden The first one Sunset Song is one of my all time favourite books and also one of the best books by a man with a female main character.

magimedi Tue 11-Feb-14 18:16:45

Late to this but I am Struggling with The Blind Assassin at the moment - just can't get into it & keep on being irked by the two stories.

Dickens I have never liked anything I've read by him.

Pandarific I love Orhan Pamuk (especially The Museum of Innocence) but Silent House defeated me - it's not well translated. Nearly all his other books are now available in translation by Maureen Freely & she is a wonderful translator. I read My Name is Red, years ago & didn't enjoy it & re read it when a Freely translation was available & it was such a difference. I can't remember who translated Silent House, but it is a very 'clunky' read, IYKWIM.

IdaBlankenship Wed 12-Feb-14 09:26:40

Magimedi stick with it, I too found it difficult to get into, but loved it by the end.

GoldenGytha Wed 12-Feb-14 10:42:44

That's fair enough Caitlin

Each to their own, but I absolutely hated it, and that isn't like me to really hate any book, but that one I did.

Fleta Wed 12-Feb-14 11:02:35

The Time Traveller's Wife.

Awful. Poorly written, weak plotline, insufferable protagonist.

I resent the couple of hours I lost to reading it.

Utter tripe.

amazinggrace2001 Fri 14-Feb-14 20:37:16

Absolutely hated 'How to Be A Woman' by Caitlin Moran- all the endless capitals and wackiness set my teeth on edge.

Also, Gone Girl-managed three pages, Stieg Larsson trilogy, Curious Incident, one about a real life Victorian murder mystery - can't remember what it was called, Anything by Sarah Waters.

DumSpiroSpero Fri 14-Feb-14 20:51:04

The Old Man.& The Sea sticks in my mind from.school.days - old geezer gets towed out to sea by a giant tuna - zzzzzzz...

Recently Madame Bovary which had been on my 'to read' list for about 10 years and friends raved about. I gave up about 4/5 of the way through when I accidentally discovered the ending. Have never ben so glad to.see a spoiler in my life!

Couldn't get going with Capn Corelli either, but did manage to plough through Mansfield Park last month - it was a bit 'meh' - not the worst thing I've read but I won't be revisiting it or recommending it.

BabyMummy29 Sat 15-Feb-14 08:23:37

I tried and failed twice to read Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

After watching, and being distinctly underwhelmed by, Pride and Prejudice, I got it free on my kindle and ploughed through it. Wondered what all the fuss was about.

zeezeek Sun 16-Feb-14 21:24:33

Those pretentious wanky books that reviewers seem to rave about because they are "intelligent" - no, they are pretentious and wanky and it's like the author spent all their time thinking up a witty, ironic title instead of writing the book.

Hate any chick lit.

Agree with everyone about Saturday - read the whole thing and still have no idea what it's about.

For really bad writing though you got to try Colin Forbes and his numerous books about MI6 agents who save the world with depressing regularity.

And ugh to Hardy too.

CoteDAzur Sun 16-Feb-14 21:43:50

magimedi - re Orhan Pamuk:

Turkish has originated in Central Asia and is grammatically closer to Japanese than any European language. Translating it to English usually means that the translator practically write the book herself from scratch, with her own words/phrases many of which will probably have no meaningful equivalent in Turkish.

Orhan Pamuk is a rarity - his writing is thought to be exceptionally easy to translate into English, because he has studied in English in an American school in Istanbul and you can tell while reading his books that he is thinking in English at least some of the time.

CoteDAzur Sun 16-Feb-14 21:45:11

zeezee - What 'pretentious wanky books'?

Andro Sun 16-Feb-14 23:16:42

Walkabout and A River Ran Out of Eden - both by James Vance Marshall and both truly dreadful. Walkabout is boring beyond description and A River Ran out of Eden is both boring and badly written.

Galaxymum Sun 16-Feb-14 23:40:27

American Psycho. So dull and desperately trying to shock. Then when I reached the gross hamster bit I threw it across the roo, appalled I was reading such tripe.

Galaxymum Sun 16-Feb-14 23:41:07

across the room sorry..... just the memory is enough.

Dubjackeen Sun 16-Feb-14 23:44:37

Anything by Jane Austen.

zeezeek Tue 18-Feb-14 19:15:00

OMG I just stupidly read Foursome.....it really is actually worse than I ever thought it possible to be.

KatoPotato Fri 21-Feb-14 13:06:00

zeezeek you have my sympathies. What a hateful lead female!

juneau Mon 24-Feb-14 21:48:02

One fucking Day - what a pile of soppy SHITE!
Cold Mountain - Zzzzz
Beautiful Ruins - so bad that I never got past p.60. It's the only book club choice that has defeated me!

CarolineGB Thu 06-Mar-14 22:38:20

I wasn't that keen on 'her Fearful Symmetry' also 'Labyrinth' by Kate Mosse - I soooooo expected more from it! The one that really disappointed me was 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', I finished it out of blind stubbornness, I much preferred the film (original Swedish version, not the Daniel Craig version - I've not seen it)

CarolineGB Thu 06-Mar-14 22:39:44

Dubjackeen - YES! I totally agree - anything by Jane Austen - blergh!!!!! My sister adores them, I absolutely hate them, so boring

Lazyjaney Fri 07-Mar-14 09:02:48

"Those pretentious wanky books that reviewers seem to rave about because they are "intelligent" - no, they are pretentious and wanky and it's like the author spent all their time thinking up a witty, ironic title instead of writing the book."

Amen to that!

muffinmonster Fri 07-Mar-14 09:04:33

The Magus, by John Fowler. Pile of toss. I still feel the rage when I think about it.

limitedperiodonly Fri 07-Mar-14 09:12:52

I loved Cold Mountain juneau. I had about 20 pages to go and was reading at a bus stop as the light was fading. I had to stand under a security light and keep shifting about so I could find out what happened to Ada and Inman.

And then I cried on the bus.

carolinegb the Daniel Craig film is better than the Swedish one. Both are better than the book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now