to think these people are ghastly snobs

(127 Posts)
AgaPanthers Fri 31-Jan-14 15:02:04

www.standard.co.uk/news/london/postcode-war-as-hounslow-residents-fight-for-richmond-address-9095158.html

"Kim Tasso, 53, said: “My daughter goes to a Richmond school, we pay council tax to Richmond council, the police consider us a Richmond address, yet when I put ‘Whitton’ as my address my post arrives two days late, with ‘Whitton’ crossed out by the Post Office and ‘Hounslow’ written in its place."

So why the fuck doesn't she put the correct address on already, so that her post arrives on time.

This is a house for sale on the road in question:

www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/31811240?search_identifier=4cfddd5a1feca73f2fd54ee1a16fb8bf

It certainly LOOKS like Hounslow, and apparently the nearest station is Hounslow, so it should be Hounslow.

So why do these ridiculous people think they live in Richmond? They chose to buy a house in Hounslow, and now they want to redefine it as Richmond?

Anyway, if you are looking for relatively affordable housing around that area, then I suggest you follow in these people's footsteps, and buy in TW3, because you will save a fortune. Just don't go trying to pull the drawbridge up after you've moved in, by redefining it as Richmond.

FlockOfTwats Fri 31-Jan-14 16:29:19

Where i was born is inbetween two places and it did cause issues. For example, When i was pregnant with my daughter, I fell down the stairs, I rang the out of hours number on my notes.

They asked what had happened, then asked my adress. I told them my address. They said 'Thats a D postcode. We don't cover the D area. Ring their out of hours.

Rang the other out of hours. No no no, You need to ring N areas out of hours, They cover you, not us.

Now, I'd have thought they'd have been more concerned that a 7 month pregnant woman had fallen down the stairs and knocked herself unconcious, But no. I didn't end up seeing anyone.

If it causes issues like that i can understand it, And i can understand it if they're paying a higher tax rate when they're not classed officially as that area (If that is the case, which i thought it was from the article).

tarantula Fri 31-Jan-14 16:43:15

I used to live in Whitton and it was a serious pain in the arse trying to get council services there. Used to drive me nuts as the council just didn't seem to get that we were in Richmond not Hounslow (strangely Hounslow didn't have that problem or one with telling us to go to Richmond). We were renting so house prices weren't an issue, we just wanted the services we were paying for.

I remember the petition to try to keep Ellesmere Port (shit tip that it was in parts) out of Chester. We had the same across Liverpool/Knowsley and Sefton when the bounderies were redrawn for Thatchers purposes.

The insurance rates didn't reflect the post codes that you lived in.

The recent fight to get parts of Bootle seen as Crosby, was snobbery, because as far as Social Care was concerned, the funding/Care came from the same place.

This situation isn't snobbery, you should be able to fully access the services that you pay your Council Tax to and they cannot.

I would hate to have to rely on vastly underperforming Houslow Council, for any sort of Service Provision, it isn't just House Prices that are affected.

X post with Tara.

AgaPanthers Fri 31-Jan-14 16:47:15

They don't have kids at schools in Richmond.

The first lady has a child at Hampton Academy, which is five miles from Richmond, and in a very nondescript part of Hampton (more Hanworth than Hampton) - it's not some posh Thames-side area by any means, like you might picture from 'Hampton' more of a grotty hangover from the thundering A316.

And Richmond schools aren't necessarily wonderful, because a lot of the people living in actual Richmond, as opposed to 'write it on the envelope Richmond', are millionaires and send their kids private.

In fact, Hampton Academy got 'Requires improvement' in its recent Ofsted, and GCSE results are poor - the average Hounslow school would be better.

And it doesn't matter who they pay council tax to. If you live in Chiswick, you pay council tax to the Borough of Hounslow. Your address is '1 X Road, Chiswick, W4'.

You don't write 'Chiswick, London Borough of Hounslow'.

These people live in Argyle Avenue, Hounslow, TW3. That's been the case for 100 years. Richmond doesn't enter into it.

I used to live in Denham, Uxbridge. Uxbridge itself is in the LB of Hillingdon. But we, in Denham, paid council tax to South Bucks Council.

It's just the way it is.

TunipTheUnconquerable Fri 31-Jan-14 16:49:50

But were you then unable to access the services your council tax was paying for because South Bucks council said 'Sorry, you don't live in South Bucks, your postcode says you don't'?

sparechange Fri 31-Jan-14 16:53:08

Postcode/area snobbery is a London hobby.
Estate agents are mostly to blame, by naming parts of areas 'the village' and similar.

My favourites are Streatham being called St. Reatham (although that is mostly tongue in cheek) and Battersea being 'South Chelsea'

I have had the same experiences as Flock, when arranging medical services for my 85 (then) year old Mother.

She lives in Liverpool. Four doors down the area changes to Huyton (the Weelie Bins turn Maroon). It took me two weeks to sort out who to get a Wheelchair from, when she became immobile.

We had to pay privately and she had to wait for other OT services until I threatened to dump her in the council building and phone out the Echo (Local Newspaper).

She attends Clinics in the Royal and Broadgreen, but if we phone an ambulance, she has to be taken to Whiston and be kept in until her notes are transferred.

Then discharged to the Royal. If she wasn't fully immobile we would bypass the ambulance, of course.

AgaPanthers Fri 31-Jan-14 16:57:40

The problem is that she is writing 'Whitton' and/or 'Twickenham' on her envelope. However she clearly lives in Hounslow, as per a century of evidence: discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C14100319 Also the fact that the end of their road is only 100 yards from Hounslow train station.

Council tax is lower in Hounslow, so logically they would campaign for their house, which is in Hounslow, to pay council tax to Hounslow.

But they don't want that. Because they are actually worried about their house prices, which were cheaper because they chose to buy in Hounslow, but now they own there, they want to try and eke out some more profit from newcomers.

If they were campaigning to be in LB Hounslow, I would be right behind them.

"It doesn't matter who they pay their Council Tax to"

But it did, when they tried to use a skip.

It must affect other services, such as Employment Inititives (I don't know if these apply) but Children Centers etc.

It does matter in other parts of the country, Liverpool used to get better funding for job clubs/travel expenses.

But Liverpool but last years Slings and other Mobilty Aides from Knowsley (for example).

I don't work in the LA that I live in because it's dire.

AgaPanthers Fri 31-Jan-14 17:10:17

One end of the road:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=51.460117,-0.362656&spn=0.013824,0.026157&sll=51.457216,-0.364072&sspn=0.013825,0.026157&geocode=FcI3EQMdZnf6_w%3BFTg_EQMd8Hj6_yF27b5r4nGRSykPdy_N2gx2SDF27b5r4nGRSw&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.460071,-0.362653&panoid=5grYAwo3hoeIThxACqRbig&cbp=12,306.95,,2,-4.23

Middle of the road:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Argyle+Avenue,+Hounslow&hl=en&ll=51.457036,-0.368407&spn=0.000867,0.001635&sll=51.460077,-0.362656&sspn=0.013877,0.026157&oq=Argyle+avenu&t=h&hnear=Argyle+Ave,+Hounslow,+United+Kingdom&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.456967,-0.368486&panoid=SfrcIDIiNFT6o3QIRWgqQQ&cbp=12,334.7,,1,4.98

Both Hounslow.

From what I can see, the whole street is in Hounslow, but the half that's closest (100 yards!) to Hounslow station pays council tax to Hounslow council , and the half that's further away pays council tax to Richmond.

Basically these people up the Richmond end of the road want a 'Welcome to the Royal Borough of Richmond Upon Thames' sign posted half way down the road. Maybe some sort of wall, or security fence, to keep the Hounslow half at bay.

hootloop Fri 31-Jan-14 17:25:58

I don't see why people make such a fuss about this, but according to postcode I live in Solihull and my DCs get to go to Solihull schools but I am 100yrds or so away from houses in Acocks Green, Birmingham which is hmm how can I put this not such a desirable address.

Sparklysilversequins Fri 31-Jan-14 17:33:07

I agree with her actually.

Chopstheduck Fri 31-Jan-14 17:42:00

we actually have a road near us that is split in half - posh side Windsor and Maidenhead, and literally the opposite side of the road is Bracknell Forest grin

Bin day, half have the posh purple bins, and half have the cheap green ones. Purple bin people have more chance of getting in the excellent secondary. It is absurd really.

deardarlingpleaaeexcusemywriti Fri 31-Jan-14 17:45:48

Does anyone live in Trowbridge?

Isn't there some weird dividing line thing there? Whether you're on the 'right' side or the 'wrong' side of it, and a huge differential in prices? Have heard that a few times but not sure if it's true.

Blu Fri 31-Jan-14 18:01:07

Utterly ridiculous. And snobby.

Postcodes do not have the same boundaries as boroughs, and neither do named areas follow the postcode OR borough boundaries.

For example, Brixton has 3 postcodes: SW9, SW2 and SE24. Possibly bits of SW8 and SE11 and SE5, depending on how far you understand the boundary of what is colloquially understood to be 'Brixton'.

The area known as 'Herne Hill' has one postcode but spans the boundaries of 2 boroughs.

I don't believe the story that they are not allowed access to Richmond schools because their area is not the same postcode - either they simply live too far away ..or it is a Free School which is somehow allowed to specify postcode...in which that is a disgrace in itself, IMO. But community schools cannot discriminate against people living on other boroughs.

bigTillyMint Fri 31-Jan-14 18:02:52

I don't understand why this has suddenly become an issue - surely they knew all this when they bought their housesconfused

XiCi Fri 31-Jan-14 18:04:52

I take it you live in Richmond OP

It's you that is coming across as a ghastly snob tbh

Blu Fri 31-Jan-14 18:07:02

Obviously Richmond Council should sort out their system to ensure that their borough constituents get recognised on the system when they try and use the tip.. They are the ones in the wrong.

But funnily enough, that is not the solution the residents are demanding.

Fairylea Fri 31-Jan-14 18:07:45

My (evil) step mother is like this about where she lives. She lives in new addington, Croydon. No doubt about it. But she gets annoyed if I send a card to my dad with that on the envelope and wants me to write "Addington village".

I always write new Addington.

I love it smile

Blu Fri 31-Jan-14 18:13:04

It's horribly snobby to differentiate - the borough of Hounslow has 'posh' houses, the borough of Richmond has 'rough' areas.

Boroughs are administrative and local gvt areas, and provide services to their residents. The Royal Mail designated postcodes without reference to borough boundaries. They are trying to claim a logic where there is none.

AgaPanthers Fri 31-Jan-14 18:14:31

I don't live in Richmond, some way away actually.

PhoneSexWithMalcolmTucker Fri 31-Jan-14 18:27:38

sparechange my favourite is 'Blackheath Borders' for Woolwich grin

Quoteunquote Fri 31-Jan-14 19:19:37

Solve the problems, change Hounslow to Hound's sloe and the house prices will rocket.

carabos Fri 31-Jan-14 19:24:04

Ghastly snob is right up there with crashing bore as a truly great insult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now