to think this was a little rude.

(63 Posts)
coolcookie Fri 31-Jan-14 09:47:01

A friend posted on facebook that she had just completed her tax return.other friends posted the usual. Yeah sell done or I've done mine too etc. Her dp posted something like " I don't know why people don't complete threm in April. Doing it now means extra work for me at this time of the year". I felt this was a little rude and unsupportive. Friend has 4 young dc and runs a small business part time with no regular childcare. Aibu

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 31-Jan-14 11:22:44

If she hasnt had time then she wouldnt have had time to do it yesterday. She did have time, she just chose to do other things with that time until she couldnt put it off any longer. She could have found the same time in april or august or november.

WorraLiberty Fri 31-Jan-14 11:28:12

Perhaps she should spend less time on Facebook grin

I don't really see it as any different to my kids putting a month's load of dirty clothes in the washing basket...and me saying I wish they'd done it sooner to keep the workload down.

coolcookie Fri 31-Jan-14 11:29:22

Obviously I too can only speculate but I get the impression that he is not very hands on when home. Dd who is 1 is very high maintenance. Whenever I txt her she is normally doing bathtime or some other childcare related task. I think he doesn't get home till 8 most nights.

Topaz25 Fri 31-Jan-14 11:41:40

I thought that reply would be tactless from an acquaintance but it's worse from her DP! If he really felt that was something they needed to discuss he should have done it in private, not on Facebook! Yes she put it off but she was probably really relieved to have got it done within the deadline and didn't need that negativity. It comes across as if he thinks his job is much more demanding and important and underestimates the demands of running a small business and looking after children.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 31-Jan-14 11:50:26

Is it at all possible he was having a playful tongue in cheek joke and she took it in the way it was intended? I know some couples on my fb have what looks to be 'digs' at each other but knowing them in real life gives context to it and you can see exactly which way a comment would be meant and taken.

coolcookie Fri 31-Jan-14 12:40:19

She does facebook mainly for business purposes. Don't think she is the type of person to joke online. Her posts are rare.
Maybe he meant it tongue in cheek.

coolcookie Fri 31-Jan-14 12:45:10

You know he does think his job is far more important and yes in terms of paid work it is. When she had 2 dc she was thinking of going back to work doing nights full time. She told me he wasn't keen as she might not be home in time for him to get to work. I do think, however he doesn't get that lokking after 4 dc single handed (sometimes 6 days a wek) and trying to run a business is tough too.

If he's an accountant then he has probably been working flat out for the last few weeks trying to convince his clients to give him all the info he needs to complete their tax returns.

Was your friend upset by his comment? If not, then I suggest you leave them to manage their relationship in their own way.

coolcookie Fri 31-Jan-14 15:19:10

He doesn't. Have clients. If he did I could understand it more.

Musicaltheatremum Fri 31-Jan-14 16:38:17

Our year end is 31st March. We try to get everything into our accountants by early July.(some payments that come in July are for the previous year) by September we know what our tax bills are going to be. You still don't have to pay your tax earlier if you get it in early.

Eskimoo Fri 31-Jan-14 16:40:39

What a fascinating world facebook is...... I really must get with the programme...... YABU btw.

SlightlyTerrified Fri 31-Jan-14 18:12:47

TBF he is quite right, lots of people leave it till the last minute. My DH has his own business and ends up working all night sorting people's tax returns and accounts at the last minute. This happened over xmas when some clients had 31/12 deadlines for accounts and he was working every night till late. There is really no reason to leave it till the last minute when you have 9 months to do it.

HOWEVER I think it is daft that people get so involved in stuff on FB, DH would never comment about something like that publically even though he thinks it.

Pimpf Fri 31-Jan-14 18:17:14

Not rude at all. I can't understand why it's left to the last minute. Have a friend who just done hers today, I suggested she start sorting out her books for next year now but know she won't, she'll panic again next jan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now