Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think this was a little rude.

(63 Posts)
coolcookie Fri 31-Jan-14 09:47:01

A friend posted on facebook that she had just completed her tax return.other friends posted the usual. Yeah sell done or I've done mine too etc. Her dp posted something like " I don't know why people don't complete threm in April. Doing it now means extra work for me at this time of the year". I felt this was a little rude and unsupportive. Friend has 4 young dc and runs a small business part time with no regular childcare. Aibu

ShatnersBassoon Fri 31-Jan-14 10:16:36

It's not rude. No name-calling or personal attack, just a little gripe. Seems fair to me.

fab84 Fri 31-Jan-14 10:17:02

I get where your friend is coming from. Doing any sort of admin with young children is hard. I too struggle to get mine done. I usually get it done by December.
As I have a partner who overposts onFacebook I do get what you mean.
I guess I just feel that if you can't say something positive than don't say it. Of course he is right that it is best not to leave it to the last minute though.

CoffeeTea103 Fri 31-Jan-14 10:17:17

No it's not rude. Not even sure why you would post about this. To achieve what?

DomesticDisgrace Fri 31-Jan-14 10:17:56

I don't think that's rude at all!!

HaroldLloyd Fri 31-Jan-14 10:18:38

Not rude and confused about how it's a slight on people with small businesses & children? I'd take it as exasperated accountant type humour.

pictish Fri 31-Jan-14 10:23:45

I guess I just feel that if you can't say something positive than don't say it.
Why? Are we all such delicate flowers that our petals will wilt at the first hint of someone not thinking we are wonderful?

He's an accountant, and has his own take on this...and guess what? He is allowed to be annoyed that his workload increases through the inaction of others! He doesn't actually have to hide that fact does he, lest the snowdrop droop?

Come on!

Songofsixpence Fri 31-Jan-14 10:23:53

He's right though

I'm guilty of leaving it until the last minute too, I'm the biggest procrastinator ever and if I'm given a deadline, I'll put it off and put it off until the deadline is imminent

I keep my books up to date every week and I know there won't be any surprises, so I should be able to get the tax return in early, it just never seems to happen though - although I got mine in before Christmas this year, which is unheard of for me

Wabbitty Fri 31-Jan-14 10:25:03

InternetFOREVER you will still have until January to pay no matter when you submit it

DaffodilShoots Fri 31-Jan-14 10:31:09

Isn't it a bit undermining of a person's partner to post this on a public site? It's not going to contribute to family harmony is it?

InternetFOREVER Fri 31-Jan-14 10:31:27

OK, in that case his FB post was really good advice :-)

pictish Fri 31-Jan-14 10:32:17

Not particularly. He has probably said it to her already.
As an accountant, it will be his point of view, and I think that's ok.

DaffodilShoots Fri 31-Jan-14 10:36:32

He sounds like an accountancy bore then! I'm determined not to approve of him as I'm a terrible procrastinatorwink.

fab84 Fri 31-Jan-14 10:50:03

Maybe rather than winge about it he could maybe offer to take children out for an hour so she can get it done. Or as he is an accountant maybe he could help her. I guess you won't know op if he does this.

DaffodilShoots Fri 31-Jan-14 10:54:37

hear, hear fab84.

WorraLiberty Fri 31-Jan-14 10:58:41

I don't think they're his kids?

I understood it that the accountant was the DP of the woman who said 'well done'.

I might be confused though blush

coolcookie Fri 31-Jan-14 11:11:28

Hi. Sorry they are his kids. They have been together for ages but never got married. I think she has been doing tax return and other admin when baby naps or on Sundays when he is around. He is out most Saturdays. Business done on the golf corse you knowdaft thing is in the early days baby had horrendous colic. So doing a tax return would have been the last thing on her mind.

WorraLiberty Fri 31-Jan-14 11:15:09

Well I don't understand why he doesn't look after the kids then and give her a couple of hours to do it.

Unless he does and she still left it to the last minute.

I guess that's the thing with couples talking of FB, you don't know the ins and out of it.

austenozzy Fri 31-Jan-14 11:15:37

Of course it's not rude, it's perfectly reasonable and sensible. I procrastinated (again) and had to miss out on enjoying a weekend day with my wife and daughter because I had to pull my finger out and get a load of admin shite over to my accountant. So it actually makes things harder, childcare-wise, to leave it until the last minute and spend non-work time sorting out the mess.

Not sure I have massive sympathy for the accountants, though. Never met a poor one yet... ;-)

WorraLiberty Fri 31-Jan-14 11:15:45

But with regards to the tax return being the last thing on her mind, if she wants to run a business then it really shouldn't be.

DaffodilShoots Fri 31-Jan-14 11:16:25

I don't like him.

WooWooOwl Fri 31-Jan-14 11:17:44

I think you are reading too much in to that comment, possibly because you seem to disapprove of the way this man and his wife choose to run their family.

It just reads to me like a harmless comment from an accountant who would prefer work to be spread out over the year rather than have loads come in in January.

Stripedgingercat Fri 31-Jan-14 11:18:18

He is right - I think he was just factual

pictish Fri 31-Jan-14 11:18:57

Maybe rather than winge about it he could maybe offer to take children out for an hour so she can get it done. Or as he is an accountant maybe he could help her. I guess you won't know op if he does this.

Oh I like that - not only should he not have an opinion about it, but with a little tweaking, now we can speculate that her not doing it is, actually his fault!

Brilliant.

MrsOakenshield Fri 31-Jan-14 11:21:42

don't see the point of him saying it - we all have times when it's busier at work and yes I'm sure we'd all love it if the work was spread out more evenly, but that's how it is. This year will be no different to any other year. If he doesn't like it maybe it's not the job for him.

I always do mine last minute (I don't actually earn enough to pay tax and it's very straightforward) and after reading this I shall make an effort to carry on doing so in future.

What a knob he sounds.

coolcookie Fri 31-Jan-14 11:21:59

She was on maternity leave in april.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now