To think that new jobs are stressful?

(11 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Fri 31-Jan-14 06:23:25

I got a new job as a teacher in a fantastic private school recently. I have been out of teaching for 5 years since having dd and I was shocked by the workload. Also I was upset at loosing time with dd as I can no longer take her to do many of her activities. I was also feeling the pressure as my job is only temporary and will be advertised as permanent as I have to prove myself. There are also wired politics going on.
I split with my ex after the first week of my new job. Some of you may have read my thread about how he made it very clear he didn't have enough money to come and see me. He also went on about how I shouldn't be working so hard( most teachers have to plan and mark at night). What hurt me the most is that he said that I demonstrated my inconsistency as I was so excited about my new job but then so anxious and unsure when I started. Ainu to think that a mum returning to a full on job in a new place is likely to be stressed and anxious?
We met last night to exchange belongings and he said that I should have known what the workload was like. I said that I did but it is still a shock.
Is he an unsupportive arse or am I inconsistent? He was also talking about getting back together in the future but I think it's a no! He is bloody handsome though!

superstarheartbreaker Fri 31-Jan-14 06:23:53

I do love my job btw! Very much.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 31-Jan-14 06:28:26

He also described me as'all over the place at that time' whereas I think it is natural to be overwhelmed and upset when your partner is being an arse instead of supporting you in your new career.

Euphemia Fri 31-Jan-14 06:31:32

Stop giving a toss what your idiot ex thinks.

Of course a new job is stressful, and the workload in teaching is insane.

Concentrate on getting back into the swing of working, and sod what he thinks.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 31-Jan-14 06:35:15

I think it just hurt as we saw each other last night so it brought it up again. He was leering at my tits again but didn't get a grope. He said maybe in the future we could get back together but not right now. I said...er no!

LineRunner Fri 31-Jan-14 06:39:17

Yes, it's normal to be both excited, hopeful, stressed, pressured and wired all at the same time, in any new job.

The ex sounds like his ego is bigger than his capacity to ever love you in a life-enhancing way. I'd honestly look elsewhere in the future for romance.

KayleeFrye Fri 31-Jan-14 06:43:22

your ex sounds like a total dick.
Congratulations on your new job - you'll get into the swing of it and it will stop being quite so overwhelming eventually.

superstarheartbreaker Fri 31-Jan-14 06:52:25

Thanks all. I think he's the kind that resents women's' success. He always goes on about how is ex wife 'found herself' when she got into teaching and that's one reason why they grew apart. Grrrrrrrrr.

tilliebob Fri 31-Jan-14 07:18:31

I've just taken a new post in a new field in a new school....partly to cut down my hours and mostly to get out of the relentless workload of class teaching.

I know 5 extremely good teachers who have left the profession in the past year alone. I would leave in a heartbeat if I didn't have a mortgage to pay.

And I wouldn't be listening to what your ex is saying. He could have any agenda and I presume he's an ex for a reason. Listen to those you care about and who care for you.

AbbeyBartlet Fri 31-Jan-14 08:19:52

When I changed jobs a couple of years ago, going back into the field I was in a long time ago, all I could think of on the way home was going straight to bed! New jobs are incredibly tiring and stressful.

Your ex sounds like a total helmet!

superstarheartbreaker Fri 31-Jan-14 16:23:34

His thoughts were that I could just do a bit of work the night before . He did put his hand down my top at one point...the idiot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now