Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to wish that MN had done a Cantonese guide...

(17 Posts)
ummingandahhing Fri 31-Jan-14 00:05:17

instead of a Mandarin one?

Seeing as a large majority of Chinese speakers in this country are Cantonese speakers and not Mandarin ones?

kreecherlivespstairs Fri 31-Jan-14 05:44:54

Probably a litttle U if I'm going to be honest. I haven't seen the guide though.

Mikkii Fri 31-Jan-14 06:23:27

And if I had seen the guide I'd be none the wiser as I don't speak either!

meditrina Fri 31-Jan-14 07:13:40

Guide?

Do you mean the slogan pun?

PorkPieandPickle Fri 31-Jan-14 08:10:42

I read the title and thought this thread was going to be about a takeaway review blush

DandyDindie Fri 31-Jan-14 14:32:59

Cantonese and mandarin are the same language as written characters, only the pronounciation changes. Any Cantonese speakers can read mandarin

JingJangro Fri 31-Jan-14 14:34:50

Hey, its Lunar New Year today in Korea!

새해 복 많이 받으세요!!!

Plumpcious Fri 31-Jan-14 15:12:24

The guide is here: www.mumsnet.com/special-events/chinese-new-year-mumsnet-guide-to-mandarin

I don't understand your objection. Surely the guide is aimed at English-speaking people? Cantonese-speakers would be able to translate the English phrases into Cantonese themselves (assuming they can speak/read English, otherwise why would they be on this site in the first place).

I'm going to China in two months. Why is bloody 'gin' so long and difficult to say? <misses the point>

DandyDindie Fri 31-Jan-14 17:11:17

Ha Ha Mrs P
Don't worry gin is only available in vair posh hotels and they'll speak english.
If your budget doesn't stretch to international hotel gin prices, try Bai Jou the local rice wine - its a true cultural experience!

Thanks Dandy. I must make sure to earn that word. And toilet.

softlysoftly Fri 31-Jan-14 17:39:37

Dandy pretty much just passed on your chips with that post op.

<<has nothing to add>>

ummingandahhing Fri 31-Jan-14 19:16:27

But the guide is teaching non-Chinese people to speak Mandarin as opposed to Cantonese which is the main spoken dialect of Chinese people in this country.

JacqueslePeacock Fri 31-Jan-14 19:21:31

I don't think Cantonese is the main spoken dialect of Chinese people in the UK anymore.

RebeccaMumsnet England (MNHQ) Fri 31-Jan-14 19:21:49

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and apologies to the Cantonese speakers.

We thought it would be a bit of fun and a nice nod to the Chinese New Year and one MNHQer's DF speaks Mandarin .

Maybe next year we will look at extending it to include Cantonese.

ummingandahhing Fri 31-Jan-14 19:44:51

Yay! RebeccaMumsnet

JacqueslePeacock, yes it still is! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Chinese#Languages

granny24 Fri 31-Jan-14 20:04:40

I read the title and thought it was a variation of a Brazilian that I was too old to have heard of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now