to wonder about the value of a school trip to the cinema?

(47 Posts)
endlesstidying Thu 30-Jan-14 12:06:29

Its for years 1, 2 and 3 to see Walking with Dinosaurs. AIBU to think there are more creative and useful ways for 3 year groups to spend time and money? £10 per child.

DD's already seen it anyway and as far as I can tell it does not fit in with her school work this term (Romans in history, Forces in science not a dinosaur in sight)

Creamycoolerwithcream Fri 31-Jan-14 14:35:56

Do people really think teachers go to all the effort to plan trips do so to make a profit or have a break from teaching, I'm actually amazed people would say that? When I have helped out on my DC's school trips i have found them completely exhausting.

wonkylegs Fri 31-Jan-14 12:02:31

DSs school are going to see Walking with Dinosaurs too but ours is costing £5.50 - which covers cinema, transport, drinks and a treat and the tickets for parent helpers.
They are doing dinosaurs as their topic right now so it is relevant and the kids are very excited.
It's a big school with lots of classes per year and they struggle to organise trips due to the logistics and the fact that it's a deprived area and parents often can't contribute, so I'm glad this is going ahead.

mysteryfairy Fri 31-Jan-14 11:55:23

Does your DD want to go on the trip? Any of my three back when they were in Y3 would have been thrilled at the this trip even if they had seen the film before. Under those circumstances I would just be happy they were being given a nice memory of school at a small cost.

I suspect the Y3 may be there more to allow the school to offer the trip at a reasonable cost through critical mass of attendees than because it directly ties to their curriculum, but I really wouldn't have a problem with that. If this is a case it will be a real shame if some parents start griping and withdrawing children as it will deprive the Y1s and any in higher up years who's life maybe doesn't allow for this sort of experience of a valuable opportunity.

Groovee Fri 31-Jan-14 11:42:44

Midnite, it was fab. It was just the bus journey as it had snowed and the road was horrific. The driver turned up the music and the kids were all singing while us parents and staff were clinging on for dear life.

FloozeyLoozey Thu 30-Jan-14 21:55:56

I wouldn't bother. Me and ds often go to the cinema, would rather pay to take him myself.

ShowMeYourTARDIS Thu 30-Jan-14 21:48:17

Dinosaurs are always relevant. [gr

JodieGarberJacob Thu 30-Jan-14 21:23:39

Oh well, it sounds like most parents are not in a favour so the trip won't go ahead anyway. Poor teachers, no 'easy' afternoon for them then.

does it always have to have educational value confused

MidniteScribbler Thu 30-Jan-14 21:13:37

Ooh Groovee I think I might steal your idea. Our session is closed just for us, so I bet I could get the cinema to show something the students made themselves instead of a movie. That would be amazing for them! Thanks!

nellieellie Thu 30-Jan-14 21:10:19

Sounds great! It will be educational - even if it doesn't fit in with what they are "doing" this year. Learning shouldn't be all about keeping to a timetable...................

Groovee Thu 30-Jan-14 20:59:55

My son's class got a visit to the cinema as before the film their own animation was shown. I felt sorry for the general public who'd paid to come in and had us lot there. But it was a big thing for them and they loved it.

MidniteScribbler Thu 30-Jan-14 20:56:44

We do a cinema trip with a couple of the years at school. We do lots of activities before and after, and the students get a behind the scenes tour at the cinema. We also tie in to the maths curriculum with money (transport costs, snack foods, etc).

Trust me, it would be much easier to put on a DVD and stay in the classroom if I wanted "a break" from teaching. And making money? By the time I dip in to my own pocket to pay for those students who haven't been sent with lunch or a train pass or even bothered to have their ticket paid for at all then it costs me money to put these trips on. We don't do it for the fun, we do it because it is a valuable experience.

mrspremise Thu 30-Jan-14 20:07:57

Blimey, the school I work in (and that my DC go to) does a cinema trip before Christmas every year that costs £3. They get an ice cream too...

pamish Thu 30-Jan-14 18:26:52

On the value of school trips, I recently heard this story from a Haringey councillor. School party from Tottenham went to The Globe theatre, so I guess they'd be 13 or 14+. As they came out of the tube station, one boy asked, what's that there? What, the theatre? No, all that water (pointing at the Thames).

I rest my case.

pamish Thu 30-Jan-14 18:24:15

The work involved in doing the Risk Assessment will be more than any time saved in not teaching for an hour. I CBA to take out my classes after we had to do a 32-page form every time, including copying each student's registration forms etc. It was about the insurance, you see.

newmorning Thu 30-Jan-14 18:18:12

"It will teach them to sit still in seats, not talk when the lights go down"

Good luck with that!

sashh Thu 30-Jan-14 16:39:20

It will be the first time many of those children have been to a cinema.

It might be a long time before some go again.

It will teach them to sit still in seats, not talk when the lights go down, what a cinema looks like, what things look like on a big screen.

If/when they go to a theatre in for GCSE English lit they will have at least been in a similar situation before and have an idea how to behave.

CaptainGrinch Thu 30-Jan-14 16:20:16

Hmm, having read some of the threads regarding absences, I believe that some (if not most) are being more arsey & pedantic than required.

And they'll reap the rewards as parents start to question the value of trips like this (and DVD days)

struggling100 Thu 30-Jan-14 16:19:18

Isn't the idea that film is somehow the intellectual equivalent of junk food somewhat dated now? With so much great work being produced both for the large and small screen, surely it's never too young to get kids interested and engaged with cinema? Your DD might be the next Jane Campion!

fairylightsatchristmas Thu 30-Jan-14 15:56:10

schools get "arsey and pedantic" about absence because their LEAs and OFSTED come down on them like a ton of bricks if their attendance figures are not up to par, not because they have nothing better to do than nitpick at parents.

CaptainGrinch Thu 30-Jan-14 15:52:12

Tell them that as your kid has seen it already, you'll take her to see something she hasn't seen on that day.

I bet you'll get an unauthorised absence.... wink

When schools are getting arsey & pedantic about every single absence on the basis that the kids "need educating" they shouldn't be surprised when parents point a critical eye at borderline "educational" activities like this...

JakeBullet Thu 30-Jan-14 15:47:45

You didn't teacher bash OP....but newmorning did. Just pointing out to her that staying in school is far easier than taking all the children out.

I imagine they will have a reason for doing this visit so might be worth asking in order to support any learning outside of school hours etc.

fairylightsatchristmas Thu 30-Jan-14 15:42:48

well I'm about to advertise a trip to a west end show for y7s. Its not linked to the curriculum and will cost about £35 quid probably. It'll be a bitch to organize and administer, I'll miss putting my own kids to bed that night (as will another 7 members of staff) but I'm doing it because you get a great deal on ticket prices for school groups and I think it will be a nice treat for them at the end of term. God forbid they might have a nice, fun outing on which to hang some memories. The cinema trip sounds like a great idea for a lesson in social behavior if nothing else and £10 possibly includes some rounding up to account for any whose parents cannot afford to pay.

halfwildlingwoman Thu 30-Jan-14 15:22:38

You didn't OP, newmorning did.

Sparklysilversequins Thu 30-Jan-14 15:21:56

I can't stand these moany posts about trips and watching the odd DVD at school. They'll have FUN! That's the point and other kids whose parents might not have the time or inclination to take them will get the opportunity to go somewhere good.

I live in London and often help out on school trips. There's children on those trips who have never been on the underground despite only living two minutes away from it, whose parents just don't bother to take them anywhere or can't take them for various reasons eg cultural - mothers not allowed out without a chaperone, disabilities etc. Last time we went I had to carry a sobbing child down the underground escalator as shed never been down one before, aged 7! She bounded up them like a gazelle on the way back though smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now