Parking issue

(80 Posts)
Juno77 Thu 30-Jan-14 09:18:39

I work in a private club.

There is a big car park out to the front of the building, and a smaller one round the side, next to the door. The staff use the smaller one.

Often, when the staff arrive, this area has been filled by lazy members who want to park closer to the door.

The operating hours only cover daytime (so members don't arrive or leave at night), but the staff are here early when it is still dark, and late into the night. It is in a very secluded area, and the staff don't feel safe walking across the carpark to their cars - so we asked if we could have the side part for staff only.

Note - the side one has lighting and is only 10 steps from the door. The big one has no outdoor lighting (can be pitch black - we have to use torches sometimes) and obviously depending on space, you can be parked quite far away. You can't always see your car from the door.

The request went to the board. The board denied it.

AIBU to be pissed off? This is peoples safety. angry

45redballoons Thu 30-Jan-14 10:06:16

By the way, I don't think reserving 3 spaces should be a problem anyway, unless they really do think it will annoy very high paying members, I'm just trying to understand how the issue has come about.

At two different work places we had this issue and were able to move our cars at dusk. One was in a very bad area where member of staff had been attacked, one was just in a secluded area like you mention.

Juno77 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:08:50

We have been trying to get the staff to move spaces, sometimes they can and sometimes it just isn't practical. By the time they get a chance, it's already gone dark so they don't bother.

It can go from dusk to black in about 15 minutes!

All the members pay the same amount. And the side car park which we are asking for, is actually a grotty bit of land behind some bins, no marked spaces. It is literally just laziness.

45redballoons Thu 30-Jan-14 10:09:31

They work in the bar, but are still there 4 hours after closing? wow! I assumed it was managers you were talking about. Well if it were me and it bothered me that much I'd come in at 8 and do some of the work then rather than the night before so I could get a good space. (again I've been forced to come in earlier than everyone else before to get a space).

Really though, I don't know why it's so much fuss to at least reserve one space for this bar person, I dont think the other two need it.

fay144 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:10:19

If the concern is about crime, then I think you are being a bit UR, as if you are in the middle of nowhere you are going to be a lot safer than if you were in even a well lit populated area (since there will be nobody around to try and rob you).

If the concern is about getting to the car without falling into a pothole or sliding on ice, then that is perfectly reasonable. I'd make another attempt to point out the potential risks and the consequences to your employer - being clear that it's entirely their responsibility and in their control, and requesting a formal risk assessment of access to the parking area.

hmc Thu 30-Jan-14 10:10:30

I'm not sure why everyone else on this thread is just not getting is confused, but OP YANBU. The Club management should either reserve the spaces that you have requested or install security lighting. Could you contact the local police to visit the premises and advise on security etc - I feel sure that they would back you up (although I realise that this could put you in difficult position with your employer)

45redballoons Thu 30-Jan-14 10:11:49

I think your staff need to man up personally! wink

hmc Thu 30-Jan-14 10:13:40

that should be "just not getting it"

Juno77 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:14:12

Oh god I should have been more elaborate in the beginning!

The staff have to set up for the next day. It takes about 2 hours to clean down from the day and set up for the next. If there is an event/function on (which there is on average 4 days a week) then it can take up to 4 hours.

We have 4 staff. All of them have children at school, and I don't think they could come in any earlier anyway, but even if they could, they'd have to come into work about 45 minutes early, unpaid. I can't see how that is the fairest option!

I agree. I don't see why they can't just give them a bloody space.

Juno77 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:15:57

Agree, the police would probably back me up but I think the board (who have said no) would be really pissed off..

wishful75 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:16:15

All it will take is for someone to fall and hurt themselves in the dark and they are leaving themselves wide open to personal injury claims, especially if there have been documented requests for lighting.

point out the elf and safety.

hmc Thu 30-Jan-14 10:17:22
45redballoons Thu 30-Jan-14 10:17:25

I need lots of detail, but now I have it, yes I am in agreement with you. Could you ask the kids of these people to draw some signs in crayon saying reserved?

Juno77 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:19:22

hmc maybe I could print that out and leave it on the captains desk..

hmc Thu 30-Jan-14 10:19:36

I realise that USDAW is a shop workers union so not directly relevant - just wanted to show that this is a real not imagined risk in response to the ever so helpful comments about manning up etc

aderynlas Thu 30-Jan-14 10:22:04

Seems a shame that they wont just reserve some staff spaces. Ive worked in a rural location and the problem was potholes etc. Took a torch but while looking for problems on road got hit on the head by a tree branch. Once bumped into a cow !!

Juno77 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:22:35

The risk is real. Of course it is.

This is a very male dominated workplace (over 900 members, 16 are women) and absolutely no female staff other than myself and the 3 bar staff.

It's hard to get them to listen at the best of times, but trying to get them to engage in something concerning womens safety is near impossible. sad

VivaLeBeaver Thu 30-Jan-14 10:24:40

I get this working at a hospital. Visitors park in the nearby staff car park, trust won't put a barrier on the car park. I have to park in another staff car park far away and isolated. Finish work at 10pm go back to the car in the dark, no lighting.

Three colleagues were recently approached by an odd bloke asking for lifts and trying to get into their cars.

PurpleRayne Thu 30-Jan-14 10:50:41

Go for the duty of care angle and employers liability. If something nasty happened, particularly after the issue had been previously raised, the question of negligence and employer's liability arises.

Juno77 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:51:32

I feel like we jut have to suck it up until something happens.

They've voted, they've said no. It's bullshit.

Quoteunquote Thu 30-Jan-14 12:11:42

well if you want them to take on board, then drop the gender aspect, men get attacked too,

have there been a lot of attacks or threats?

and any argument from the company will contain that they have a duty to prioritise their clients, which is hard to make them change.

could you leave in pairs?

Juno77 Thu 30-Jan-14 12:31:49

I haven't mentioned any gender aspect.

I don't think it is ridiculous to suggest that women leaving on their own at night, in the dark, are more vulnerable than men, or more likely to be attacked, or have more reason to feel scared. hmm

There haven't been attacks or threats - that's irrelevant. I don't know peoples personal details - they may well have good reason to feel scared, it's not relevant.

We aren't asking for priority. Just to ask the members to stop using the side spaces.

No they can't leave in pairs as only one person is here to lock up.

SelectAUserName Thu 30-Jan-14 12:39:24

Could the two people leaving at 4pm - the chef and A. N. Other that you referred to earlier - hang on for five minutes to cover the premises at the end of their shift while the person or people who will be working beyond 4pm move their car(s)? As they can then walk to the car park together once car-mover is back at their post?

Juno77 Thu 30-Jan-14 12:42:12

Well, yes they could.

Both of them leave 'around' 4pm. So, they could be waiting around a bit plus they can't cover the bar so would just be there telling people to wait a few minutes. Not the end of the world, granted, but hardly ideal.

I realise there are 'solutions' but they are all ridiculous, complicated, and involve putting people out.

Why not just allow us to reserve 3 spaces. One bloody space, if needs be.

Viviennemary Thu 30-Jan-14 12:49:03

I think it is reasonable to want to get to your car in relative safety. And the company has refused all sensible suggestions re extra lighting and reserved spaces. You should raise it as a health and safety issue. They should have a safety rep.

wobblyweebles Thu 30-Jan-14 12:59:00

It sounds like they need to install lighting. We all have to walk a long way to our cars after work in the dark (3,000 people on one campus) but I don't worry about it as there are lights.

I don't think it gives the best impression to members if the few spaces near the door are reserved for staff - you might have a good reason but the members won't really be aware of it and it'll just look like staff being lazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now