Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not want to be told how tired I look?

(38 Posts)
Wuxiapian Wed 29-Jan-14 23:15:50

I'm 35 weeks pregnant.

I actually felt good this morning (for a change), made it out of the house with 12 month old for playgroup.

I walk in and the first words to greet me are "God, you look really tired".

Gee, thanks. That made me feel so much better.

Pinkandwhite Wed 29-Jan-14 23:17:17

Why do people do that?!!! People can be really dim sometimes. Of course you don't want to hear that. Yanbu!

WorraLiberty Wed 29-Jan-14 23:21:57

Is it not said out of concern?

CoffeeTea103 Wed 29-Jan-14 23:22:48

I don't think someone would say that just to have a dig, it's probably out of concern.

Preciousbane Wed 29-Jan-14 23:27:23

Don't worry, one of my sons schoolmates informed him she had seen him with his Grandma, well that would be me!

FanFuckingTastic Wed 29-Jan-14 23:27:33

I get it all the time, even not pregnant, because I was born with dark coloured skin around my eyes. It does worsen with tiredness, but it's there whether I am tired, ill or not. When I was younger, the surest way to get a sick day at work was to not put on makeup. Everyone would say how terrible I looked and I'd get sent home.

That's my face. My natural face. And people have this "concern" and head tilt thing going on. I just want to say, this is how I fucking look you complete numpty!

Once I was even asked in concerned tones whether my boyfriend hits me. Foundation and concealer are the only way to not have people question my health status. It's actually quite embarrassing sometimes, to think wow I look so bad people think I am really sick.

Wuxiapian Wed 29-Jan-14 23:29:25

Well, maybe, I guess.

Still made me feel crappy, though - especially as I made the effort with a little makeup and actually felt good for making it there (as I've not been for ages as I'm barely able to walk...).

I thought a hello would've been first port of call, at least.

Wuxiapian Wed 29-Jan-14 23:31:53

Oh my, Fan!

Some people are totally tactless.

FanFuckingTastic Wed 29-Jan-14 23:43:18

I got used to it. The only time I look healthy is if I am tanned and in the sun all the time. I've just learned how to use makeup to disguise it, dark smokey eyes looks amazing on me, so at least it's good for something.

But I totally get how irritating it is to make an effort, feel alright and then have people dash that with a meaningless comment. You always tell a pregnant women she looks amazing, even if she does look a bit tired, because it's pretty much something that smacks you in the face every day of being heavily pregnant, it's tiring, but that doesn't mean you want it pointed out, especially when you've obviously made an effort to get out and look good. I have Aspergers, I don't have a load of tact, but I have enough to know that!

plutarch14 Wed 29-Jan-14 23:44:17

YANBU it's rude. You might as well say 'you look like shit.

plutarch14 Wed 29-Jan-14 23:44:28

(I'm sure you don't)

newyearhere Wed 29-Jan-14 23:45:43

It has been said to me sometimes, but doesn't bother me. It's not offensive any more than "you look busy" or "you look cold".

meeroolla Wed 29-Jan-14 23:48:12

I'd have replied 'Oh cheers' in an offhanded way.

hardbeingme Wed 29-Jan-14 23:57:14

my neighbour does this every time i see her, and then head tilts in a concerned way - up to this point i usually feel fine but then doubt sets in... i'm fine (or am I??) i thought i looked ok (but obviously not)

its not fair to do this to someone who overthinks everything!

WorraLiberty Thu 30-Jan-14 00:00:45

YANBU it's rude. You might as well say 'you look like shit.

See I don't equate the two at all.

Looking tired because you're 35 weeks pregnant with a 1yr old doesn't always equal looking like shit to me.

It just means you look tired and it's perfectly understandable.

ipswichwitch Thu 30-Jan-14 00:04:00

FanFuckingTastic I have the same problem with dark under eyes. I've had someone recently asking if I had a black eye (nope just normal dark eye area) then they started trying to get me into the light, tilting my face about and wanting me to look in umpteen different directions so they could check! I told them to sod off, it's my normal skin colour and still she persisted with "well I'm sure you have a black eye,are you sure you don't?" Aargh! Yes now fuck off!

horsetowater Thu 30-Jan-14 00:06:07

If someone was really concerned that you looked tired they wouldn't tell you you look tired they would say 'how are things going' and prompt to see if you actually are tired or not.

Or they would try and cheer you up.

Telling someone they look tired is just plain rude, thoughtless and negative. It's like telling someone they look really bloated or their teeth look really yellow. You could say those things 'out of concern' too. But you don't.

horsetowater Thu 30-Jan-14 00:07:02

When people say that to me (I often do look tired, and sometimes am) I just say to them 'Thanks!'

CheshireDing Thu 30-Jan-14 06:14:31

I have a 2 year old and a 7 week old and mil and my Gran both said it to me in recent weeks, AND I had foundation and mascara on at the time !

YANBU. I do wonder when people say this what they expect the person to do about it, it really doesn't make you feel any better, just enraged

Crowler Thu 30-Jan-14 06:26:22

I would only say that to a good friend who actually looked tired (not bad) and out of concern.

Hubb Thu 30-Jan-14 06:35:41

YANBU

Sometimes it's just a pointless, annoying comment and I dont really know how you're supposed to respond.

A relative came to visit me a week after I had given birth and said I looked tired...I found that to be a completely stupid comment! Aren't I supposed to look fucking tired!?

Same goes for being heavily pregnant, you would think you could get away with not looking your best without inviting comment.

Although it is extra annoying when you actually thought you looked alright!!

Babylonmood Thu 30-Jan-14 06:52:11

Yanbu. It is rude and unhelpful whatever the intention behind it. Makes me tense when I hear it. I am tired, yes, and I don't have the energy to respond politely.

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 30-Jan-14 08:36:17

I don't understand why people can't just say "how are you doing" or similar rather than saying you look knackered!

madmomma Thu 30-Jan-14 08:37:32

Yup I used to get the black eye comments all the time, because one of my undereye bags/shadows was worse than the other. So insulting though.

newyearhere Thu 30-Jan-14 09:03:00

Looking tired doesn't mean you look worse though. People just look like themselves and are sometimes tired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now