Or is blocking pavements to get tickets more than a bit inconsiderate?

(67 Posts)
YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 18:14:09

I get it, they want tickets(so do i!)they're excited, its currently the only thing that matters to them, and sitting in the rain for 5 days is no fun so talking to each other is about all they can do but huddling your chairs to block the entire pavement and then putting up a gazebo that has two feet on the road requiring traffic cones to alert drivers to its presence is taking the fucking piss. Other people need to use that pavement and should be able to do so without having to go out on to the road to get by. People with wheelchairs or prams or small children or lots of shopping shouldnt be being inconvenienced like this for something that isnt necessary.
Right? I'm confused as to why the council arent doing something.

CoffeeTea103 Wed 29-Jan-14 18:58:35

Why on earth has this worked you up so much hmm.

DurhamDurham Wed 29-Jan-14 18:59:16

I thought they were blocking an entire length of a street...then I looked at the pic and saw that they are literally just blocking the length of one shop. I don't imagine it's causing too much inconvenience to anyone.

I think anyone who queues for tickets by camping under a gazebo is bonkers.
they shouldn't be blocking the whole pavement. Does nobody book online then? confused

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 19:04:59

I think if them being there means any pedestrian having to walk on the road then whether its a whole street length or a shop length is irrelevant. Shops arent allowed to leave deliveries blocking the street even for ten minutes whilst it is unloaded. Building works have to be permitted if it involves alternative pedestrian access.

BuggersMuddle Wed 29-Jan-14 20:24:38

Uhh, a handful of uber-fans of a certain age appear to have 'blocked' a small amount of road together with a cone.

It's a bit inconsiderate I'll grant you and they should probably have kept their ahem, erection, to within the boundaries of the pavement, but in the great scheme of things, I cannot get excited about this.

I they refused to move chairs to allow passage for disabled or people with specific needs I could get excited, but so far as I can see they've camped out and will be there overnight when most others won't? Meh.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 29-Jan-14 20:53:14

They're going to be there for five days!!

NuggetofPurestGreen Wed 29-Jan-14 20:55:31

They've already been there 4 days Viva tomorrow's the last day grin

VivaLeBeaver Wed 29-Jan-14 20:57:14

Im surprised they haven't got hypothermia.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 20:57:47

Yes going tomorrow morning. Been there from sunday early hours. Its not eating away at me or anything i just thought how bloody inconsiderate when i saw the photo which i still think.

AmIthatWintry Wed 29-Jan-14 21:00:06

Genuine question here, but if it isn't in the Council's jurisdiction then why are you annoyed that they're not doing anything about it

What do you expect them to do.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 21:24:24

Its not in MY council's jurisdiction. Its another council.

NuggetofPurestGreen Wed 29-Jan-14 21:26:21

And it's horrible and really cold and rainy here this week so I really don't know how they are standing it. I'm shivering just imagining it.

AmIthatWintry Wed 29-Jan-14 21:29:26

Ah I see, OP

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 21:31:25

From that article it seems they are taking it in shifts as someone arrived with a campervan for them to sleep in.

EEatingSoupForLunch Wed 29-Jan-14 21:39:05

Am I the only person who read this as Garth Crooks ? And wondered why people would camp in the streets to see the portentous BBC football pundit?

Rubybrazilianwax Wed 29-Jan-14 21:52:54

There are queues and people camping out at every ticket outlet in ireland. Im half considering it myself

I've got friends in low places ...
grin

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 22:40:38

Where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases my blues awaaay!

grin

<earworm>

I'm not big on social graces, think I'll head on down to the oasis

OP I don't think the non Irish / Northern Irish posters get the hype.

IAmNotAPrincessIAmAKahleesi Wed 29-Jan-14 22:50:28

YANBU

My wheelchair is a pita to get off the kerb and back on again if it's not lowered, it would make my day just a bit harder than it needed to be if someone did this on a pavement I needed to use. So I do think it's selfish to do so but I'm probably in a minority there was a car blocking the pavement on a corner when I was out the other day and I burst into tears because I knew it was going to hurt me moving around it so I'm probably not the most rational person to comment blush

LadyMaryofDownton Wed 29-Jan-14 22:54:32

Bay Jezus the streets are while crowed pure bunged, could'nt get a cuppa Tay or a wee bun from thon bakery this morning for them ques.... while a tell ya! Right past the door they were.

That about sums up my local FB status, very much a big deal here in the north (of Ireland) too. Not wise but I'd love a ticket, too dear though & accommodation is a scandal.

EvaBeaversProtege Wed 29-Jan-14 23:00:25

Just drive by my closest ticketmaster outlet & the line is LONG!! Snaking across the front of shop, down the side entry & across a back car park.

Dh will try online in morning.

I queued for 1D tix before Christmas & the shop's system crashed, not losing another nights sleep even for Garth brooks

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 23:12:40

Ive just created my online account and have everything crossed for tickets in the morning- my mum did suggest i queue and i hmm at her which i though was a polite response to that insanity!

It really does seem to be an NI/Ireland thing. Was he never big in the rest of the UK even when he was propeerly big?

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 23:14:29

Oh and

"Where ive got friends, in lowowow playcezz"

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now