To think that this was a bloody stupid thing to do.

(46 Posts)
Koothrapanties Wed 29-Jan-14 15:33:03

I have just moved into a new property owned by a housing association. When we moved in they didn't have enough keys to give both me and dh one each. We were told they would get in touch when a new one had come in.

Today I received an envelope in the post with the key in it. Obviously it was sent to the adress the key was for with a helpful note saying:

"Dear Mr and Mrs Koothrapanties,

I have enclosed the spare front door key that was on order when you moved into the property. We appologise that it was not available when you moved in.

Kind regards,

Housing association employee."

Seriously?? How can you be that stupid?!

ThePartyArtist Wed 29-Jan-14 15:34:01

Yes that is completely stupid, you could complain,,, then again sometimes best to save your battles with these people in my experience!

I'm feeling very thick- what was the problem OP?

zookeeper Wed 29-Jan-14 15:37:25

Am I being thick too? I don't see a problem?

Koothrapanties Wed 29-Jan-14 15:38:23

They have sent a key in a normal envelope with the adress it was for. Anyone could have opened it and been able to get into my property! You could feel the key through the envelope, it could have easily been stolen.

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Wed 29-Jan-14 15:38:40

er the problem is that any number of postal employees were given access to a property complete with the address.

They basically drew a map with 'Rob Here' and an arrow pointing to OP's house...

Fudgeface123 Wed 29-Jan-14 15:38:58

Someone could have used that key and got into the house!!!!!!!

Fakebook Wed 29-Jan-14 15:39:30

The problem?! It's like carrying your house keys around with your address on it!

zookeeper Wed 29-Jan-14 15:40:06

Possible I suppose but unlikely. It wouldn't have bothered me to be honest (unless I was burgled..grin)

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Wed 29-Jan-14 15:40:21

They should have sent it in a padded jiffy bag at the very least.

They could have rang you or written to you to advise it was ready to be picked up.

CrazyHmissesHerbie Wed 29-Jan-14 15:40:29

The problem was sending a key for the address it was posted to in an envelope

That's absolutely ridiculous & it would not have made it to me if it had happened to me iyswim

Koothrapanties Wed 29-Jan-14 15:41:06

I can't believe that they thought it was a good idea! I also wouldn't have known if it didn't turn up as they haven't contacted me!

fudgeface grin okay, I get it now

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Wed 29-Jan-14 15:42:02

You should complain. In writing too.

Koothrapanties Wed 29-Jan-14 15:43:51

Not even a padded envelope, it was a normal one!

softlysoftly Wed 29-Jan-14 15:45:45

Well there you go OP, there are the two posters that work for your housing association wink

and in fact I think you should now rob yourself, leave a note saying "thanks for the key in the post" and claim off them not really

Koothrapanties Wed 29-Jan-14 15:48:33

Softly - ahh mystery solved. I did start to wonder if it wasn't as forehead snackingly stupid as I thought!

HoneyDragon Wed 29-Jan-14 15:49:22

Yup. On the odd occasion we've been sent keys for holiday let's there is always a plain envelope padded with the key in and absolutely no info.

Very stupid, UANBU

Koothrapanties Wed 29-Jan-14 15:49:57

*smackingly even!

HoneyDragon Wed 29-Jan-14 15:50:10

I was going to suggest denying all knowledge of the key and hiding all your valuables too grin

Koothrapanties Wed 29-Jan-14 15:55:37

Unfortunately we dont really have many valuables so it would be a bit of a waste of time! grin

phantomnamechanger Wed 29-Jan-14 15:59:35

That is beyond stupid!

This is why estate agents/letting/holiday agents do not label the keys of their properties with the addresses, it is common sense.

When we were sent log in info for our daughters school website, where we can access her personal info, up to date attendance/rewards/dinner money account etc, it came in an envelope with no identifying features - no names, no school name or logo, just dear Mr & Mrs P here is the info you require from Mr X. At first i did wonder what on earth it was then I remembered we had had a letter home about it the week before.

softlysoftly Wed 29-Jan-14 17:02:47

But Koothra, they don't know that, you could steal your imaginary gold plated diamond encrusted Gucci Designed 500 inch flat screen TV.

<<joins honeydragon in the naughty corner>>

Koothrapanties Wed 29-Jan-14 17:12:33

Oh I forgot about my gold plated diamond encrusted gucci designed 500 inch flat screen tv. How silly of me!

Innogen Wed 29-Jan-14 17:30:42

I've been posted a key before now. But it was to an empty house, that was in a different city to the address it was posted too.

Honestly, I'd have been too stupid to notice a problem here.

Surely there wasn't any indication in the letter that the key was for that house?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now