...to go away with DH for the weekend, to Spain and leave kids behind?

(69 Posts)
netsuke Wed 29-Jan-14 14:11:54

Would you fly away without your kids?

Got an invite from friends so no accommodation costs, flights are cheap, Granny just about happy to have them.

I just feel this horrible fear of..what if the plane crashes with both of us on there, kids would be left with no parents.

All because I want to shag DH somewhere pretty, drink sangria and sleep in until noon. Selfish mother's get punished right? I am suffering from an attack of mothering guilt because I am thinking of abandoning my duties for a whole 4 days.

Yes I would and did. DH and I had 5 days in Madrid when DS was 2.9 and I was pregnant with DD. It was marvellous in every way and very much needed before we upped to a family of 4.

We now live abroad and consequently don't have our doting GP on hand to help as much. We've had one night away together since then, 2.5years ago and god do we need the break again!

SparklingMuppet Wed 29-Jan-14 14:19:37

Hell yes I would! In a heartbeat now they're a bit older (6 & 8), and we did it when they were younger but in the UK. Go, go, go, go, GO!

I've done it a couple of times. Go for it!

It's far safer than the occasions when the two of you travel in the car together, you know that.

Tiredemma Wed 29-Jan-14 14:20:49

Yes I would and yes I have. Lots of times.

MegBusset Wed 29-Jan-14 14:21:45

Hell yes smile

WilsonFrickett Wed 29-Jan-14 14:22:54

Would do it, have done it. DH and I go away once a year together (OK not always abroad but sometimes abroad). I think there have been a few years where that trip has saved our marriage tbh. Do it.

flowery Wed 29-Jan-14 14:27:44

Granny being only "just about" happy to have them would worry me more than the trip itself. But then I've never had grandparents make any offer to have ours, and perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

everlong Wed 29-Jan-14 14:28:57

I would do it.

You can't live of what if's...

lljkk Wed 29-Jan-14 14:31:55

Can I go with you? wink

Aberchips Wed 29-Jan-14 14:35:20

I would & have done it. You could get run over by a bus together on a night out!

We went to Italy for a friend's wedding & had an amazing time, just enjoying each other's company without having to think about the kids as well. I felt a bit guilty but they had a great time being spoilt by grandparents while we were away.

crescentmoon Wed 29-Jan-14 14:38:07

id do it without any guilt whatsoever! theyll have a great time bonding with gparents!

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Wed 29-Jan-14 14:41:57

We're going to NYC for a week in the summer. DD will be 3.5 and having the time of her life with grandparents.

DO IT!

Joysmum Wed 29-Jan-14 14:50:40

Kids benefit from parents being a good role model of a married/happy couple. DH and I take the time whenever possible to have 'us' time and our daughter's friends have commented about how close our family is when their parents have then subsequently split up, so sad

We would go if we didn't have enough time as a family though.

Joysmum Wed 29-Jan-14 14:50:56

*would 'not' go

How old are they?

CMP69 Wed 29-Jan-14 14:53:42

Go for it grin I would in a heartbeat

Juno77 Wed 29-Jan-14 14:54:36

Absolutely. Have and will again and you should.

Children's ages irrelevant.

If you went by your 'we might both die' logic, you and DH should never go anywhere together grin

pinkcheese Wed 29-Jan-14 18:51:18

I left DS1 for 10 days at 17 months old. I was slightly teary as I left, but we had a brilliant holiday and he enjoyed being with his granny. Since then we havent thought twice about leaving them with grandparents for a night/weekend/week away a couple of times a year. It makes us happy which leads to being nicer parents because we have our personal needs met too. DH and I also go away alone quite often, leaving DC with the other parent. Or take one child each to do stuff that is special to that child/adult. And everyone wins because we are all happy and fulfilled grin

SomethingkindaOod Wed 29-Jan-14 18:54:21

Yes. Just yes.
We're looking for a spa weekend away as my parents have said they'll look after our 3, not abroad as we can't afford it ATM but somewhere nice and quiet for the 2 of us.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 29-Jan-14 18:55:37

Yup, going to St Lucia for a week in 12 days :-)

Squitten Wed 29-Jan-14 18:55:59

I wish we had someone who would take our kids for long enough to do that

envy

NormHonal Wed 29-Jan-14 18:57:23

Definitely go. We've had a couple of short trips away from the DCs and it's been very good for our marriage and I got some sleep.

Finola1step Wed 29-Jan-14 18:57:25

I would do it without a doubt if I could.

My friend is off to St Lucia with her DH in feb half term. Her 9 and 6 year old will stay with her parents. I can think

ChristineDaae Wed 29-Jan-14 18:57:30

Yep, iv done it twice. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now