Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to hate hate hate my hairy chin.

(141 Posts)
ihatemyhairychin Wed 29-Jan-14 13:17:05

Namechanged for this as I'm so embarrassed.

OK - so I am nearly 40 years old, female and have facial hair.

It started about 10 years ago - just the odd black hair on my chin, but now there are bloody loads of them in small patches on my chin and underneath. They are thick & black and not like the little bit of fuzz I get on my upper lip. I shave my chin every morning (and sometimes in the evening too). Can't bear to leave it long enough for waxing or threading.

I paid for laser hair removal about 5 years ago and have had a course on the NHS as well, but they don't seem to have worked.

Do I have to deal with this forever? I can only imagine it getting worse as I get older and that is very depressing. Any other hairy folk out there with any advice?

Only1scoop Wed 29-Jan-14 13:21:56

Worth mentioning to your Dr I think. A friend of mine has been prescribed a cream as hers got quite bad. She also had laser years ago and they came back.
I have a few but get them waxed every 3 weeks.
It's so vile isn't it? I used to go to the salon for lovely facials and massage etc....now it's just a quick nip in to get my slug lip etc waxed....hate being past 40 hmm

gamerchick Wed 29-Jan-14 13:23:52

I have 26 hairs at last count growing on my chin.. It gets worse as you get older. A good pair of tweezers can be satisfying.

dozeydoris Wed 29-Jan-14 13:32:49

I had electrolysis. After first treatment thought wow why hadn't I done this before, but in the end it took months. Had a different beautician at one point and she seemed to set higher strength, left red spots where she had treated me, in the end this worked. Would have saved a lot of time and money if I'd had her to start with. So perhaps try stronger zapping.

LoveWine Wed 29-Jan-14 13:44:19

It could be hormonal - I would speak to your GP and get some tests done.

WipsGlitter Wed 29-Jan-14 13:45:49

First stop shaving - you are making it more noticeable. Can you try plucking or waxing instead?

formerbabe Wed 29-Jan-14 13:45:56

Get it threaded...it is not embarrassing. Some women get their whole face (and neck) done.

WipsGlitter Wed 29-Jan-14 13:46:24

Also, you are not alone. strokes beard

fifi669 Wed 29-Jan-14 13:46:31

My GP said they don't test for hormone imbalances anymore. I've been seeing them about this problem on and off for years. I've bought a IPL machine.....

Dingleinthevillage Wed 29-Jan-14 13:48:38

I want a car rear view mirror in my bathroom. Everyone is plucked but I sit in the car, select reverse, look in the mirror & it's sodding Catweazel driving!!!

Whatisaweekend Wed 29-Jan-14 13:49:44

Did you have laser or IPL though? They are different things and, having had both, I found the IPL did naff all but the laser was excellent. Do people do electrolysis anymore? I don't know much about it but thought that was supposed to be pretty permanent?

rubyflipper Wed 29-Jan-14 13:50:59

Stop shaving, for a start. That is making things worse.

I buy Veet wax strips from the supermarket and do my chin once a fortnight.

JackNoneReacher Wed 29-Jan-14 13:57:03

Agree with whatis.

IPL did nothing for me. Laser changed my life. And the good thing is, the darker and thicker the hair, the more effective the laser is.

It does take a little while, and you may need the odd top up appt.

Oh, and I would stop shaving, be that looks awful.

JackNoneReacher Wed 29-Jan-14 13:58:11

If you want to say whereabouts you are I will tell you if the place I went to is nearby. I would recommend them. Or pm me if you like.

rainraingoAWAYNEVERCOMEBACK Wed 29-Jan-14 14:43:02

IT probably is hormonal but that doesnt mean that its solvable infact makes it worse..there is no magic pill to take to stop it,

i am amazed some of you go this done on the NHS i have always been told no...its not something they do?

what is difference between laser and ipl and how much is laser.

rainraingoAWAYNEVERCOMEBACK Wed 29-Jan-14 14:44:45

if its hormonal the issues stimulating growth dont away because you have hairs zapped, however you can take the pill diannette or and face cream and so on, but the problem seems to be once you stop taking these, the hair comes back even worse....the face cream is not on the NHS and costs about 60 quid. I couldnt vouch for its usefulness as never got it.

SolomanDaisy Wed 29-Jan-14 14:46:17

I've had the philips lumea for a month and I am making good progress with it.

rainraingoAWAYNEVERCOMEBACK Wed 29-Jan-14 14:48:11

jack can you tell us how long it took to get rid of yours, and how much and how much hair.....

Socks555 Wed 29-Jan-14 14:48:51

I'm about the same age (she says!) and have a few hairs on my chin and one on my cheek i need to keep plucking. They grow back so quick and I've a few grey ones that are even thicker than the nasty black one.

I've got about 5 and if I've tried leaving them so I can pick them out in one fowl swoop, but the all grow at different times.

Grrr!

CandyKate Wed 29-Jan-14 14:50:28

Does electrolysis work for blonde hairs? I know that IPL and laser don't work for blonde hair.
Waxing/threading leave with me hundreds of spots. I feel like there is no solution at all for me.

AmberLeaf Wed 29-Jan-14 14:52:06

I get a few, not of beardy proportions though, but thick dark and wirey.

I pluck with tweezers and find it very satisfying. its like a ritual grin

Fakebook Wed 29-Jan-14 14:53:30

Stop shaving. It makes the hairs grow back with blunt ends which makes them seem thicker. Go and get them threaded every 4 weeks, or buy some facial wax strips. I like the cheapo ones from Wilko. I've found them much better than the veet ones and obviously cheaper too.

frogslegs35 Wed 29-Jan-14 14:57:21

www.amazon.co.uk/Facial-Remover-Removal-Epilator-Threading/dp/B00ARAAHWO/ref=pd_sim_d_9

Get these, they're way faster than plucking and work very well. Takes a few mins practice to get it right but once you've got it lots of hairs will be plucked at once.

Socks555 Wed 29-Jan-14 14:59:59

Epilator??

OUch! Tried one on my legs, never again.

littlesquid Wed 29-Jan-14 15:00:08

I almost like mine. Plucking is my hobby smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now