AIBU to be INCENSED that someone messed with my chocolate cake?!?!

(20 Posts)
LoveWine Wed 29-Jan-14 13:50:26

Aww this thread is making me crave chocolate cake! One with nutella...

Scholes34 Wed 29-Jan-14 13:31:22

This is actually a very nice cake:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7663/blitzandbake-beetroot-and-chocolate-cake

YANBU to be incensed if you weren't expecting the beetroot. They shouldn't spring this on you. I hate cinnamon and always have to ask if it's been added to any apple pie or cake, as there seems to be an assumption that apple and cinnamon automatically should go together.

I assume the beetroot wasn't pickled. That would only add to the shock if it was. Pleased you got your money back. Nothing worse than a disappointing cake.

ExcuseTypos Wed 29-Jan-14 13:28:36

shock

When you fail you're exam, because of their idiocy, sue the fuckers.

(I've got an exam tomorrow and you've inspired me to buy cake. I will check there are no vegetables included)

wyldchyld Wed 29-Jan-14 13:19:29

I have no objection to people putting strange and wonderful ingredients in their own cakes. After all, I have (willingly) tried cakes made with potato and beetroot previously and come to the conclusion I'd rather have my cake without the veggies. But to spring beetroot on a poor, unsuspecting person and to leave big SLIMY lumps in there...

That's it, I'm going into business making fantastically calorific, butter and sugar stuffed, gloriously decadent puddings. No veggies allowed.

DustyBaubles Wed 29-Jan-14 13:16:29

Aha! I followed the link, and the company was founded by a school dinner lady grin

That explains it! There are probably vegetables hidden away in everything that sell. Blergh.

AllergyMums Wed 29-Jan-14 13:14:35

Shudder...oh the horror.

I have to look for interesting ingredients due to allergies and reflux (means limited sugar) but I would NEVER, EVER do that.

Wrong on so many levels.

Kerosene Wed 29-Jan-14 13:09:48

I've made beetroot & chocolate cake before. Was quite nice, if a bit earthy.

Surprise beetroot, however, is an abomination. YADNBU.

Hissy Wed 29-Jan-14 13:07:49

beetroot is a great cake ingredient, as is courgette!

makes them moist.... needs to be grated though!

wyldchyld Wed 29-Jan-14 13:06:29

I did get my money back - even worse, is it is apparently chocolate and beetroot and DANDELION AND BURDOCK!! Which accounts for the strange under taste.

What is the world coming to when this is acceptable?!

evil cake

Rissolesfortea Wed 29-Jan-14 12:58:39

I would have been incensed too, anyone who knows me knows to never have beetroot within a 100 yards of me, I hate the stuff.

Would have demanded my money back!

Hoppinggreen Wed 29-Jan-14 12:55:25

I bloody hate best root and vegetables in cake generally but someone have me a bit of cake this morning that was apparently white chocolTe and beet root. I only are it to be polite but it was actually ok. It had a lot of very sweet icing on which may have helped.

Remember those cakes that Letitia used to make in the Vicar of Dibley.
("Oh that's an interesting icing, is it chocolate?" "No, Marmite")

I think you got one of those...

Thwy do thay in schools apparently. Presumably youre an adult and deserve proper cake

volestair Wed 29-Jan-14 12:52:53

Vegetables in cake: fine, whatever, knock yourself out.

Undeclared vegetables in cake: no. Wrong.

HTH.

I have made chocolate beetroot cake and it was yummy, but there really shouldn't be lumps of it in there, and why on earth was it in the icing?

I hope they let you have something else!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 29-Jan-14 12:50:08

I make a chocolate cake out of beet root, but i blitz it in the food processor first so don't have big chunks in it. It's really nice.

issey6cats Wed 29-Jan-14 12:48:29

yuk no chocolate cake should contain chocolate more chocolate and even more chocolate and certainly not beetroot, think that bakery has been watching too many poncy cookery shows on telly

HypodeemicNerdle Wed 29-Jan-14 12:48:22

YANBU! I've never heard of lumps of beetroot in a chocolate cake or in icing. I'm impressed you didn't demand a refund and a proper piece of chocolate cake with no random vegetables

YANBU - beetroot is the work of the devil. wink

wyldchyld Wed 29-Jan-14 12:45:13

As a treat for myself prior to an exam today, I bought myself a slice of chocolate cake. I'm dieting so this was a massive treat for me! It was advertised as being "Tray Bake" and no mention of anything funky.

So, put a forkful in my mouth - mmmm, chocolate - wait, hang on, what's that? This slimy, lumpy, squidgy pieces of crud?? I don't like fruit in cake (particularly stuff like figs or dates, yack) so asked the lady at the counter what was the "extra" ingredient?

BEETROOT!!!!

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!?! Surely no-one in the history of the planet has ever eaten chocolate fudge cake and gone "this could be so much better with slimy beetroot"?! They've even hidden little bits of it in the icing!!!

Would anyone like my semi eaten cake? I can't even look at it....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now