To think it's sad seeing women begging for proposals

(60 Posts)
Anonfornow00 Wed 29-Jan-14 12:33:46

I'm seeing so much of this lately, firstly a very successful beauty blogger I keep up with is forever putting up ring statuses with hint hint tagging her boyfriend. My good friend and all round amazing person sends her long term partner pictures of rings weekly and entering wedding competitions, another friend gave her long term partner an ultimatum so he proposed on Valentine's day. I've just seen another girl I know tagging her partner in a picture about how great women are (you know, she carried your children, she makes a house a home etc) and tagged her partner saying how her finger feels empty.

Is it just me or is this fucking crazy? If they want to get engaged so desperately why don't they ask themselves?

It just seems really desperate and everyone around being so aware, when they eventually do pop the question is just feels like they've been broken down.

FloweryFeatureWall Wed 29-Jan-14 14:29:40

Assets? I lolled grin

KarmaVersusGeorgeOsbourne Wed 29-Jan-14 14:31:26

I don't understand either. When we realised that things were going to be 'serious', we discussed these things- marriage, kids, what we expected of each other and what we wanted. He asked me if I would like a 'surprise' romantic proposal, and I said no grin we ended up setting a date when we were washing the dishes one night

www.singleswarehouse.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/604-no-more-free-milk1.jpg

Really rabbit?
grin

Argh, Why can't I add pics to this thread???????

CarolineKnappShappey Wed 29-Jan-14 14:35:08

Because I wanted to be married before we had children I was keen for DH to propose. He had no idea about fertility declining so fast with age, and just assumed that you could get pregnant whenever you wanted. I did not want to wait around till He was ready and I was 40.

So pressure was applied. I wish I didn't but I couldn't help it. I loved him, we were happy, and we both wanted a family. But unlike women who think about these things and plan them, he just didn't realise that I didn't want to wait.

I did wait though, and he got there eventually, but it did cause some fights.

I do have sympathy for men though in this situation. Women have rightly proved that we can do anything men can do in the workplace, we are equal. Loads of young boys in their 20s date girls as ambitious and as hard working as them. Then the boys are shocked when the women say, "right, if we want a family, now'a the time to think about it."

DukeSilver Wed 29-Jan-14 14:42:20

It totally baffles me too. I imagine if I ever get married it will come about through a discussion.

To be fair though it isn't something I could ever understand because marriage isn't important to me, it's definitely not something I think it essential before children or to have a long happy life together. I always think there is something nice about couples that have been together for decades without feeling the need to get married.

^ I always think there is something nice about couples that have been together for decades without feeling the need to get married.^

I used to think that was a lot more romantic too... waking up and choosing to be with the person you were with not just staying because you are married.

But then I realized that people can get divorced, so everyday they wake up and choose to stay with that person they are still making that commitment. And that also wherever you move to whatever you do..marriage is a water tight contract. Dh and I have lived in 3 countries.
I don't need to speak to a lawyer everywhere we go when I want to make sure I am secure financially if he gets hit by a bus or that if something happened to me he is the legal father of our children etc. It's all good, maybe not super romantic but immensely practical grin

Waitingforflo Wed 29-Jan-14 14:50:13

^ I always think there is something nice about couples that have been together for decades without feeling the need to get married.^

I like this too smile.

hippoesque Wed 29-Jan-14 14:50:15

Thelistingattic. We have discussed it and we're getting married this year. He wants to propose though (men are just as funny as we are smile)

dontsqueezetheteabag Wed 29-Jan-14 14:50:23

Totally baffled also - I have very happy single friends but I have 2 friends in particular who were giving off the gagging to get married scent for ages. 1 of them recently got engaged (I was so happy for her) but NOONE likes her fiancee. he was caught by 2 separate people at my sisters wedding taking cocaine (people that did not even know him). He has previous convictions for dealing drugs in a nightclub, he goes to gamblers self help group.

She will just not see that side of him despite many mutual friends saying to her that they are worried about her and what he will bring her in the future.

She gave off that desparate scent for soooo long she would not give him up even if he was a serial killer.

Wait fot the right person - it happens, most of the time when you least expect it.

nickymanchester Wed 29-Jan-14 14:56:48

Thank you Topaz25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now