To complain about this teacher

(33 Posts)
middleclassdystopia Wed 29-Jan-14 11:41:33

Ds teacher told the class Scotland should be independent 'because the English take all our money'

I am angry for a few reasons.

This isn't factually accurate. I'm all for teaching children about important political issues (my ds is 8) but with a balanced view.

Also I'm English and find her comment offensive in its tone.

There has been a nationalistic tone to her topics and teaching which I don't like.

Should I complain?

ooerrmissus Wed 29-Jan-14 11:43:53

Yes. She is teaching opinion as fact.

Melonbreath Wed 29-Jan-14 11:47:22

Yes. It's biased plus opposing her equality and diversity policy. Any snifter of English bashing should be reported as racial abuse.

NewtRipley Wed 29-Jan-14 11:47:37

Did you hear her say this in those words?

Smoorikins Wed 29-Jan-14 11:48:20

I am Scottish, and IMO what she said is completely out of order, assuming that it has been accurately related to you.

I would certainly go and speak to the head to address your concerns. But don't go in all out saying its not right - say you are concerned that your son has said this, and that if that's really what was said then you feel its inappropriate etc.

But you are totally nbu at all.

Saucia Wed 29-Jan-14 11:49:09

Investigate first, might be chinese whispers.

Juno77 Wed 29-Jan-14 11:49:47

It's not racist melon. English and Scottish people are the same race.

It is opinion and whilst I do think there is a place for teachers to share their opinion, it must be stated exactly as opinion and the opposing side should also be given. I am all for open discussion and debate.

WilsonFrickett Wed 29-Jan-14 11:51:59

At least she's not saying it to a class of 16 yo's who can vote in September sad

Definitely complain.

And Juno, it is racist. Scots and English aren't the same race. That would be British, which very few Scots/English/Welsh and Irish people identify as.

Logg1e Wed 29-Jan-14 11:52:50

I suspect what your son heard and what the teacher actually said may not be the same thing. I would ask the teacher, informally, to clarify what actually said.

NewtRipley Wed 29-Jan-14 11:54:21

I find the tone of the OP annoying. I am complaining.

Juno77 Wed 29-Jan-14 11:56:37

It's not racist at all!

Xenophobic, maybe. But it isn't racist. Scottish/English/welsh/Irish people aren't different races. They are different nationalities, but not different races.

workhorse Wed 29-Jan-14 11:59:40

Being slightly pedantic, but it's not racist - it's xenophobic. English and Scots people are the same race, but different nationalities. Xenophobia is not acceptable either.

middleclassdystopia Wed 29-Jan-14 11:59:49

Why NewtRipley?

Two children have repeated what she said pretty much word for word and independently.

I have huge respect for the teaching profession and have never complained in my life before. But this has riled me.

I am not anti independence or saying people can't be of that opinion.

Before you jump in there with a complaint you should really ask the teacher to clarify what she said.

middleclassdystopia Wed 29-Jan-14 12:00:29

No I didn't say it was racist.

middleclassdystopia Wed 29-Jan-14 12:02:14

I'm a bit of a wimp and would be nervous about approaching her!

Don't want to make an official complaint as such. Maybe I could express my concerns anonymously?

Logg1e Wed 29-Jan-14 12:05:44

Just pop in and say, "My son thought you said X the other day in a talk about Y..." and leave the silence for her to fill.

lainiekazan Wed 29-Jan-14 12:08:36

Some years ago (last but one elections) ds came home from primary school and said his teacher had told them all to tell their parents to vote LibDem. She said that parents who voted Conservative were "evil" and Labour voters "idiots".

I told ds that teachers' personal opinions were just that - and you should make your own mind up.

I actually quite liked the teacher but she was utterly batty and suddenly disappeared from the school.

sashh Wed 29-Jan-14 12:24:15

my husband was educated in Scotland.

He was taught to hate the English, that the ENglish were dishonest and crap at battles, that the English were and still are, bad people…. which was tough as he was English.

He says that's just how they are.

Logg1e Wed 29-Jan-14 12:28:54

What was that saying Sashh? If we don't believe everything our children say about the teachers, the teachers won't believe everything they say about us?

Juno77 Wed 29-Jan-14 12:29:57

sashh nothing in that article proves your point.

It wasn't racist. She made a comment (wrongly, I agree) that suggested she was pro Scottish independence because 'the English take all our money'.

There was nothing there that constitutes harrassment, or someone who identifies as English being mistreated.

Plus English and Scottish people aren't different races. I'll just keep saying it.

Juno77 Wed 29-Jan-14 12:32:01

fiscal that's a load of bullshit.

He may have had one teacher that taught that way, but that isn't 'just how they are' (who are 'they' anyway? Scots? Teachers?)

middleclassdystopia Wed 29-Jan-14 12:39:04

My dh is Scottish btw. In all the years I've lived here I've experienced very little anti englishness.

I'm not claiming she's racist or full of hatred to the English. I just think it warrants being raised somehow as it isn't factually accurate and I feel uncomfortable my ds spouting such views when he doesn't understand and it may offend people.

Teaching that the independence debate is an important part of British history is fine. That there are two views and a balanced approach.

But not blanket statements which can be construed as xenophobic. And actually make the teacher seem not very bright.

sashh Wed 29-Jan-14 13:22:01

Plus English and Scottish people aren't different races. I'll just keep saying it.

I suppose it depends on how you define race. The Equality and Human Rights Commission have clear guidance that anti Scots / anti English discrimination can be racial. Hence the link, to the legal case that set the precedent in UK (the case was in Scotland so subject to Scottish Law but is also used as guidance for English, Welsh and NI law) law.

So I'll say it again, as it seems to be that the more you say something the more true it is on here.

The law in the UK does define Scottish and English as different racial groups.

Saying it is not racist is like saying calling someone with black skin the 'n word' isn't racist if the person has a British passport. It clearly is.

There was nothing there that constitutes harassment, or someone who identifies as English being mistreated.

You don't have to mistreat or harass someone to be racist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now