To post this here?

(20 Posts)
WhatKatieDid Thu 30-Jan-14 16:25:29

Thank you. I humbly promise I will never post something in the wrong topic again and/or will turn to other means of information gathering rather than this one, because you said so. Or maybe I won't. We'll just have to see.

MsLT Thu 30-Jan-14 09:22:14

One word: Google.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Thu 30-Jan-14 08:42:53

grin

WhatKatieDid Thu 30-Jan-14 01:55:33

Thanks v much for the useful info!

(No, obviously he doesn't have 2mins to start, I just was thinking about it for about the 10th time having not done anything about it and had 2mins to write a post before I had to do something else and forgot again. The idea being I then checked responses at a later point. I'm actually not new here, been on here years, but I rarely come on anymore so feel free to educate me, I thrive on inferiority. I'm so sorry, but I couldn't really be bothered to find a 'more appropriate' bit as this is the only bit I (and most) ever really look/ed at! I like an easy life, knew I'd get some useful info here, (because, despite appearances/popular opinion I like to believe that most people are generally helpful and happy to please - even on MN!). I humbly apologise for wasting your valuable time forcing you to respond to my inappropriate and unreasonable request and I sincerely hope this is, and always will be, your biggest problem in life).

Genuine thanks to everyone who helped, appreciate it.

HicDraconis Wed 29-Jan-14 12:32:08

My boys do karate - 3ish times a week. You learn how to block, kick, punch and combinations, but there are also exercises related to balance, coordination and physical fitness. There's a large amount of Japanese tradition and respect which seems to have done them some good smile it's a fairly strenuous workout too.

I particularly like the "no quit" aspect, the self esteem support (lots of "be proud of yourself and who you are" messages mixed in with the physical aspect), that it's open to anyone regardless of age and fitness. They don't spar until green belt which is normally 2-3 years into training, so they are able to control things a bit by then. Hopefully smile

They were having such fun that we all took it up, DH & I go 3-4 times a week too.

BeckAndCall Wed 29-Jan-14 12:24:37

YABU to post the question without the topic you're interested in being in the title!

<enters into the spirit of the thread even though has no idea about anything to do with the topic>

BTW they started age 5, which seemed a good age to start.

My boys do Judo AND karate.

Karate is a bit less hands-on/throwing people around. It is a lot about discipline, learning kata's (sequence of movements) and can be quite beautiful to watch (I think karate can be almost dance like, but when they do sparring it becomes almost a bit like boxing (especially when they do things like "hammer fist").

At Judo they learn to throw someone, and also to fall, it is a bit more like "wrestling", a lot more tugging too.

Both are cool! I like the disciple side of karate.

Both are about respect and discipline and rules too, which is great.

LTB

gamerchick Wed 29-Jan-14 12:07:35

Depends on what kind of fighting he wants to do.

Start him off with judo.. All rolling around the floor then progress to more contact. He'll find out what he likes.

Jeet kune do is a favorite amongst people I know. Looks brutal to me.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 12:06:33

grin

You think that was a flaming? Are you new too? wink

Partial jest, partial "seriously- post in the right topic- you have time"

meditrina Wed 29-Jan-14 12:04:30

YABU to post this here.

Posting in a relevant topic might get fewer posts in response, but probably more relevant answers. Even posti in chat would be better than SIBU or his sort of enquiry.

But, even in the wrong forum, I have a couple of points on your actual enquiry.

The key thing to look for is any martial art with a properly consituted junior or tots programme. As your DC is still only 4, then he might have to wait. But IIRC, taekwondo is one of the ones which starts early.

Judo is wrestling and throwing, karate is chopping/hitting/blocking (I think, my DC haven't done this one), taekwondo is all that plus more kicking, and Kung fu is a mix of all sorts. With a good instructor and an age-appropriate programme, any are suitable and all are fun.

MrsRuffdiamond Wed 29-Jan-14 12:02:51

Gosh, I didn't think Op was really going to get a flaming! grin

<Assumes YBASB is entering into the spirit of it, and not being serious! wink>

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 11:51:49

And AIBU is not supposed to be inflammatory! What is it with all the new people who think inflammatory is a pre requisite for posting in AIBU? Try reading more than just active convos. Might take more than 2 minutes though wink

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 11:49:55

Yes- this is not an urgent question ffs! Of course you have time to find the right topic. Does he need to start martial arts in the next 2 minutes. How in depth a response do you expect to recieve and be able to read within 2 minutes?

Yabu

softlysoftly Wed 29-Jan-14 11:48:04

Sorry Nethuns allow their ickle darlings to do fighting

<<faints>>

MrsRuffdiamond Wed 29-Jan-14 11:45:52

Sorry blush

TheProsAndConsOfHitchhiking Wed 29-Jan-14 11:44:32

You are both BU shock

MrsRuffdiamond Wed 29-Jan-14 11:42:55

YABVVVU to post this in AIBU. Don't be surprised if you get a flaming.

grin

Now this link might be controversial (also useful, hopefully!), as I don't know if it's allowed under MN guidelines! www.netmums.com/home/martial-arts

WhatKatieDid Wed 29-Jan-14 11:35:55

Sorry, know this isn't an unreasonable issue but only got 2 mins so no time to find a better place to put it!

I've got a nearly 5yo DS who really wants to start some kind of martial art - can anybody help me with the differences between karate/judo/ anything else and give me any info as to which one is more suitable/fun for a very active, quite strong little boy?!

Thanks, and sorry again not to be inflammatory!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now