Pit bull -- am I being unreasonable?

(118 Posts)
kcoll Wed 29-Jan-14 09:44:48

I LOVE dogs. I have had dogs my entire life, from the day I was born until recently, when I moved to a flat and sent my most beloved collie to live with my parents because they live in the countryside and could offer a better quality of life for her.

The reason I write is this is that I have a 9 month old baby, and my friend, who has a 10 month old baby, owns a pit bull mix. The dog was illegally imported on falsified papers, as they dog was DNA tested and confirmed to be part pit bull, part labrador. The dog looks very much like a pit bull -- quite large, highly muscular build, jaw, etc. The dog has a history of biting people (3 bites in its 9 year life span) and I have personally seen her nip at people's faces. She is an often sweet, but nervous and protective dog. I have seen her flash from timid to ferocious in an instant on more than one occasion.

I was fine to go to her house before I had a child. I know how to act around nervous dogs -- I would never put my face near the dog's, etc. But when I had my baby I told my friend that I could not go to her house anymore. She still invited me around...and I went because they said they would keep the dog in another room or outside. I have gone over a couple times and they do keep her away sometimes, and other times they try for a little while and then let the dog run around because the dog is crying and wants to be near her people, as dogs do. When this happens I hold my child far away from the dog. I would NEVER consider letting my child stay alone with them at their house as, even if they were being careful, the dog could get out and there is the chance of an attack. Particularly as the kids get older, all it takes if for one of them to let the dog out. Slim chance of danger but nonetheless I would never put my child at risk. This is not to mention that 2 children are killed a year by dangerous breeds (not labs or collies) -- that's a fact in black and white. There was a Jack Russell that was part of an attack once, and people hold that up as reasoning that it can be any dog, however it was a Jack Russell and a Staff bull terrier, which is basically a smaller various of a bit pull, and pack mentality can take over when more than one dog is involved in such cases.

The fact that she keeps her child around this dog makes me uncomfortable, frankly, because -- back to the statistics -- it is always (100%) of the time in the last 7 years in the UK, been the child of the family that dies (so statistically it would be her child not mine who is more at risk). Would you stand by and let a baby be at risk? I suppose there's nothing I can do by UK law....

Then recently I tried to organise a trip to a country hotel with this couple and another couple with the same aged baby. The hotel accepts dogs and i asked them not to bring their dog, and they have flatly refused not to bring the dog. We have gone away with them before with the dog and they let the dog run free and it made me INCREDIBLY nervous due to the dog's temperament, history of biting and it's genetic make-up -- these dogs are designed to kill other very strong dogs and humans, collies are designed to nip, labs are designed to carry things softly in their mouths, Jack Russells are designed to kill -- rats. I am nervous for the other unsuspecting children/parents and other dogs (my childhood dog was killed by our neighbour's pit bull mix). She is implying that I am being overly sensitive and unreasonable. What do you think and how would you handle the situation?

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 14-Feb-14 14:51:54

These things tend to go in three stages:

He's as soft as grease, wouldn't hurt a fly
Don't worry, he's only playing
Oh he's never done that before!!

Please, please don't let this get to number three ...

rabbitlady Fri 14-Feb-14 14:45:00

child first, always.

IRCL Fri 14-Feb-14 14:12:52

I know you can't tar all breeds but I would rather take my chances against a small terrier than a pitbull. they are incredibly strong. I really hope you reported the dog OP.

Selks Fri 14-Feb-14 10:45:49

I don't understand why the OP is posting on here and not indicating what they are going to do about it.
This is a no-brainer.
It's a SAFEGUARDING issue that your 'friend' has this dog with tiny DC in the house....it's not just about whether you go round there and how you protect your DC.
There is only one option.....you phone the police and tell them everything, and you do it now.

foreverondiet Fri 14-Feb-14 10:29:34

I would call police and social services. And council. It's illegal and her child is at risk. No way would I go round there either. If you don't want to fall out with her do it all illegally...

wontletmesignin Fri 14-Feb-14 09:35:06

I dont understand why people buy breeds that have been bred specifically for fighting and expect them to be loving family pets.
It is possible for them to be, but why take that risk?
Then blame the dog and have it PTS when it was in their nature to be aggressive to begin with.

LoonvanBoon Fri 14-Feb-14 09:22:46

I didn't notice the date of the OP when I posted on this thread yesterday. kcoll, are you still around? Did you report the dog & has action been taken?

TheScience Fri 14-Feb-14 09:18:42

Children die from attacks by rotties, staffies/bulldogs and mastiffs. It's fine to argue that breed is irrelevant and it's all about the owners, but whether some breeds are inherently more dangerous or dangerous owners are attracted to particular breeds, it plainly is a factor.

OwlCapone Fri 14-Feb-14 09:12:27

funkybuddah the OP is not at fault here and did not think the dog should be at the hotel.

Forago Fri 14-Feb-14 09:04:09

Surely the size of the breed and the type of jaw is relevant?

Forago Fri 14-Feb-14 09:03:26

Surely the size of the breed and the type of jaw is relevant?

funkybuddha Fri 14-Feb-14 08:57:30

Great, so you can ensure the safety of your own child but what about mine? What if mine or someone elses child is at the hotel at the same time? Its great you have the knowledge to make the decision to keep your child away from this dog but what about everyone else.

ElbowPrincess Fri 14-Feb-14 08:51:28

My heart lurched when I realised the date of the OP. Please come back & tell us that it wasnt your friends DD who was killed sad

pixiepotter Fri 14-Feb-14 08:38:15

The dog is illegal in this country so will (rightly) be destroyed.The beginning , the middle , the end.

ferretyfeet Thu 13-Feb-14 18:38:26

Well if it mauls a child to pieces you will wish you had done something but it will be TOO LATE

wontletmesignin Thu 13-Feb-14 18:30:50

My sister bought a 'staffy' with papers, and everything. As the dog got older, it was looking more and more like a pitbull. It was built lile a rock! She kept saying hes lovely, hes lovely, as hes jumping up snapping at me, playfully.

Eventually,before the dog turned 3...months before that he started challenging my sis.
Would refuse to get off the kids beds. My BIL had to actually sit on this dog for half an hour as it lost the plot.
Once calm, he was lovely again.
He then started trying to grab my sisters throat.

They had two kids. They tried, and tried and my heart was in my mouth until they finally had this dog put to sleep.
It was inches off grabbing my sisters throat and would no longer listen to BILs commands.

Definitely report this as it is too big of a risk.

It so easily could have been my niece of nephew trying to remove the dog from their own beds, only they wouldnt have had the strength to restrain it!

mistermakersgloopyglue Thu 13-Feb-14 18:26:22

Oh god I saw the date of the op and that people were posting on an older tread and honestly thought the little girl in the op was the girl who got killed by the dog in Blackburn (right age and everytjing) my blood ran cold sad

Please report that dog.

LondonNicki Thu 13-Feb-14 18:15:24

I think someone needs to be a responsible adult to protect that child. The baby can't protect itself, the parents don't feel it's a risk so that really only leaves you.

RedFocus Thu 13-Feb-14 16:36:50

It's already bitten 3 people you said?! Surely that's reason enough to report it or will you just wait until it's ripped the face off a baby?! I really don't know how you can just sit there and do nothing. Shame on you!

SpoonfulOfJam Thu 13-Feb-14 16:25:10

Please report this dog. I feel sick thinking about that dog and that baby in the same room.

HoneyDragon Thu 13-Feb-14 16:24:44

Yes but illness is a warning, and a reason.

It's not a sweeping statement.

If you ignore a dog to the point where it's first instinct is to bite. Not snap bark or growl, but bite than give me another reason?

Its also a sweeping statement to say all dogs and babies are a bad combination.

frugalfuzzpig Thu 13-Feb-14 16:20:07

Well done for planning to report, hope they act on it

purplebaubles Thu 13-Feb-14 16:06:23

Honey that is such a sweeping statement. Dogs can bite for no reason whatsoever really. They're animals. It could be ill. It could be getting annoyed. It doesn't have to be mistreated. Dogs (of any breed) + babies is a bad combination.

OP you need to report this dog now. I think the safety of the baby trumps any kind of sympathy for the dog in this circumstance. It's illegal, and you're concerned (rightly) about the wellbeing of a child. Report report report.

HoneyDragon Thu 13-Feb-14 15:57:25

A dog that bites without warning is usually a mistreated dog used to cruelty.

rainbowfeet Thu 13-Feb-14 15:46:42

This thread is making me anxious for your friends dc's .. I'm sorry but I would not have my child anywhere near this type of dog especially as it has already shown aggression & I'd also report the dog to the police... Imagine how you would feel if you didn't. & heaven forbid the dog hurt someone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now