Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think they should give her a bloody peg!!

(50 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 09:05:51

My DD (3) had a terrible experience at a preschool, and we had to remove her. It knocked her confidence horribly and it's taken months for her to get back to herself.

Now she's going to a nursery attached to a school and started at the beginning of this month...

Every morning the whole school are obviously there and it's really intimidating, and every child knows exactly where to go and what to do but they still haven't given her a peg for her coat and bag so when we arrive we have to wait for everyone to finish, jostling about, and her getting increasingly tearful as we wait ( and I know any second she's going to refuse to stay ) and then we walk around to find a spare one.

I've asked every single day for her to have a peg, it's causing my DD serious anxiety...

Today she stood there while 'big children' ran about and just refused to go in after 5 minutes of this.

I know this is about a peg so seems ridiculous! But I'm so pissed off about it, I feel ridiculous that I ask them every morning!! But they still haven't done it!!

MerryWinterfel Wed 29-Jan-14 11:10:43

Take her home again, she doesnt have a peg! Everyday, with a follow up letter saying why, until she gets a peg. Well, thats what I would want to do anyway! Are you sure this is the right place for her?

What else doesnt she have during the day that you dont know about?

diddl Wed 29-Jan-14 11:12:54

So if every peg has a name, are they relying on a child being ill or does no child do full time?

I think that it's dreadful tbh.

Do they care at all?

curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 11:17:52

The nursery is great, once DD is in she has so much fun and talks non stop about her teacher, so I'm really happy she's there..

It's just the confidence she lacks that's making this really difficult.. (About a peg. I realise how silly this must seem! wink)

Some children do 5 days, but some only do 3/4 so usually there's a spare peg or 2 by the time everyone's in.

pinkbear82 Wed 29-Jan-14 11:25:33

I would email the head and state you have been asking for x amount of days for a peg, remind them of the reason your dd changed to that nursery and make it clear they are not helping her feel included or settled.
Ask for a meeting to be arranged, when your dd is in nursery, to get things sorted ASAP. Say you feel this has gone on far too long and is causing undue stress to you and your dd.

It should be a matter of priority to make everyone feel included, especially if past issues have caused the changes. The nursery needs to step up and get on with it.

diddl Wed 29-Jan-14 11:26:06

No, it doesn't see silly.

She should have a peg the same as all of the others

She's no less important!

Shelby2010 Wed 29-Jan-14 11:28:59

Has she made a friend yet who wouldn't mind sharing her peg until this gets sorted? Or ask the teacher to allocate one to share if you have to wait for one to be physically put up.

purplebaubles Wed 29-Jan-14 11:33:13

As a teacher, I make it my priority to ensure that every child has a peg/supplies etc. and is made to feel welcome.

I would be insisting today that it gets sorted before you leave, or I would find somewhere else for her to go. Sadly, if this is how they prioritise something as basic as this, it would raise red flags for everything else!

DeWe Wed 29-Jan-14 12:42:07

Why don't you hold her bag and coat, send her in and say you'll put it on her peg when she's in? Wait until she's in and put it on the spare peg.
I wouldn't be walking round with her to find the peg. Something you can sort once she's in happily. And then go and find someone to ask how they're going to sort it-because if every peg is named it won't be just a simple job.

curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 13:12:08

Because its 2 rooms away.. And after you've done the coat and bag you have to go and choose a book to take home and take them to the carpet..

HaroldLloyd Wed 29-Jan-14 13:14:07

Time to get medieval on their ass OP.

Not much to ask and very mean of them.

HaroldLloyd Wed 29-Jan-14 13:15:21

Take a hammer in tomorrow, and knock in a big fat peg of your eon laughing manically that will teach them.

cornflakegirl Wed 29-Jan-14 13:21:48

How about taking the coat and bag into the classroom and just handing them to the teacher. Make it their problem, not yours. (Obviously make sure they're really well named first!)

SomethingOnce Wed 29-Jan-14 13:35:11

YANBU, it's symbolic.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Wed 29-Jan-14 13:41:59

I'd do as cornflakegirl says, and take the hat and coat to the teacher or leave it on her desk. Pretty sure she'd organise a peg pretty sharpish then.

Whatisaweekend Wed 29-Jan-14 14:01:25

You are being far too polite!!

I was watching The Devil Wears Prada last night - dump the coat and bag on the teachers desk a la Miranda Priestly!! Honestly, it's such a little thing to organise but means so much to a little one going into a cloakroom full of bigger kids !

Joysmum Wed 29-Jan-14 15:01:13

What a great idea of cornflakegirl. Wish I'd thought of that.

DukeSilver Wed 29-Jan-14 15:13:50

YANBU. I am quite mild mannered but I would be bloody livid! Your poor dd, and you having to deal with it.

Why didn't she get assigned a peg when she started?

MidniteScribbler Wed 29-Jan-14 20:25:32

Poor form. I wouldn't allow a child to start in my classroom without named items the same as every other student.

Do you have the 3M Command hooks in the UK? I keep a box of different sizes in my cupboard so that I can add a hook wherever necessary (without the caretaker whinging about holes in walls). If you have them over there, take one in, stick it up and put your own label on it for her. They can always then replace it with a permanent one when they have done their risk assessments over a peg.

LingDiLong Wed 29-Jan-14 20:36:15

Can you be 'late' until this is sorted? Only by 5 minutes or so, enough so that everyone else is in and you can get your DD's stuff hung up straight away.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Wed 29-Jan-14 20:40:59

Yes they should give her a peg. I agree with handing her things to the teacher. You shouldn't have to tell her the coat etc is on X's peg. Other suggestions are;
Take own peg in.

Put coat etc on any peg which is empty when you get there - another parent will soon move it along or complain themselves.

Remove a random child's name and reallocate that peg to your dd. and continue to do so on a daily basis until the nursery gets the message that your dd is no less important than any other child who happens to have been going longer.

But yes, I wouldn't stand around waiting for a peg to be left so you can claim it. It's not helping your dd settle into the morning routine as she's building up to that anxiety about where her things will go before she gets there.

curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 20:43:07

She started late.. So not with everyone else.

Twighlightsparkle Wed 29-Jan-14 20:58:25

Awful, I'd be beyond polite by now.

Hope you get it sorted

arethereanyleftatall Wed 29-Jan-14 21:04:54

Is she the only child in the class without a peg? If yes. Then yanbu.
But...my dd2 was 3 in Nov so since January goes in the afternoons only to a preschool attached to a shook. In the mornings are the rising 4s and some stay on for ths afternoons. My DD hasn't got a peg. I hadn't thought twice about it. Just put her stuff on any old peg and assumed none of the kids who aren't in nursery year have one.

Moreisnnogedag Wed 29-Jan-14 21:09:14

That's not silly at all. My DMIL is a primary (?preschool I don't know if there's a difference, basically the very little ones) and she would be horrified at that. It's about making a child feel welcomed and that they belong. I'd start getting pretty loud about this at this stage of the game.

Is there someone who can do pickup with you so you can speak to teacher?

newyearhere Wed 29-Jan-14 21:28:04

YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now