To quite like having hairy armpits?

(89 Posts)
WingedPig Tue 28-Jan-14 20:40:22

I've always had hair free armpits but have left them to grow free for the last couple of months. I have decided I actually quite like it, I feel quite feminine and liberated. AIBU? Does anyone else feel like this?

puddock Thu 30-Jan-14 17:04:33

oxters = armpits
www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/oxter

Much nicer word IMO wink

Shallishanti Thu 30-Jan-14 11:39:16

what are oxters??

ClockWatchingLady Thu 30-Jan-14 10:17:16

Yep, I'm another one who likes her hairy pits. I don't even think about it now, until I see someone looking surprised/horrified at the gym smile.

However, I can't, for some reason, completely get used to letting my leg hair grow (it's very thick and dark), but I'd like to comfortable with it one day.

puddock Thu 30-Jan-14 10:08:13

oh yes and I go swimming all the time, both doing lengths by myself and splashing about with DSs. I don't expect other people to be peering too closely, or concerning themselves with other people's underarms, and I'm mostly underwater anyway!

puddock Thu 30-Jan-14 10:06:21

That's really interesting about the body hair being designed to wick bacteria/moisture, it bears out my own impression that I'm more smelly when I do shave. I don't remove hair from my oxters unless some occasion seems to demand it (e.g. being friend's bridesmaid in sleeveless frock).
I started using salt deodorant when I had a newborn and trying to cut down on chemicals, and it's surprisingly effective, hairy or not, so I still use it five years later smile

IceBeing Thu 30-Jan-14 09:58:16

bryte your experience exactly mirrors mine. I get sweaty in pressure situations and seem to have some sort of reaction to most deodorants that makes me smell even worse.

I stopped shaving on maternity leave and it was SUCH a revelation.

Regarding swimming - I wouldn't worry about it. I have never noticed anyone else's body hair while swimming....too much water and everyone is busy doing their own thing.

I have been swimming for two years now with hairy pits and had only a couple of random comments (and that might have been about the leg hair tbh!) and only in the scummiest of the local pools I tried out.

IceBeing Thu 30-Jan-14 09:53:40

The hair slows down the evaporation process

This is simply the opposite of true.

You may well smell less with shaven armpits (its a big world and everyone is different) but hair improves evaporation. Thats its job.

Joysmum Thu 30-Jan-14 09:26:38

I know personally I smell more when my pits are hairy. I'm pretty active and shower a couple of times a day even with shaven pits.

Like to shave my pubes too (already been flamed for that on another thread!) but don't bother with my legs so it's not about looks for me.

The hair slows down the evaporation process and can I sweat a lot. It also prevents antiperspirant from being applied to the skin where it is most effective which is a double whammy.

If I didn't benefit from shaving, I wouldn't do it, razors are really expensive and it's time consuming and not great for the skin.

I feel sorry for those of you who feel put defensive for not needing to shave (not a good feeling and something I hated when on the public hair thread), you are actually the lucky ones and I'm very envious. smile

Ilovexmastime Thu 30-Jan-14 07:33:28

I'm pretty sure that you can be a feminist and still be a victim of societal pressure. I am smile

MadIsTheNewNormal Thu 30-Jan-14 03:18:28

But you could wash instead? On the second day. No need to not wssh at all, especially if you don't ever wear deodorant.

nooka Thu 30-Jan-14 02:20:09

Sorry my personal hygiene upsets you Mad, but no I do not smell nor do I need to use deodorant because I don't have smelly armpits, whether they are shaved or hairy.

My feet smell when it's hot in the summer and of course I wash them frequently then. I only mentioned that because otherwise I knew I'd get people telling me that of course I am smelly and disgusting because I am blind to it, I'm not, I am perfectly capable of recognising when I have bodily odour, and have plenty of people who would tell me if there was a problem. I shower every other day because otherwise my skin gets quite painfully dry. It's not good for skin to shower too frequently and it wastes a lot of water too.

Some interesting research: www.theguardian.com/science/sifting-the-evidence/2013/feb/14/wasting-money-deodorant-ears

YANBU op.

Anyone who thinks you must smell has clearly only been with men who reek (or shave their armpits I guess). Unless people think women smel worse than men?

Daykin Wed 29-Jan-14 16:07:47

I don't like my armpits to be hairy but I love them on other women I find it a massive turn on

sleepyhead Wed 29-Jan-14 16:04:02

I only shave when I can be bothered, which is if I go swimming or wear sleeveless tops, and only then because I know some random woman will be looking at me and thinking ewwwwwww (I know this because people on here tell me that's what they think wink). Don't know why I care about the opinion of this random woman, but I do. Conditioning probably. Mustn't make a scene, must conform.

The rest of the time I'm happily fuzzy. It's not that much fuzz, 1cm long maybe? It feels quite silky and nice actually.

Thisisaghostlyeuphemism Wed 29-Jan-14 15:40:53

Hairy armpits (only on a woman, presumably) disgust and bemuse!

John Ruskin, you walk among us.

Fakebook Wed 29-Jan-14 15:33:35

I feel feminine and liberated without hairy armpits.

Lydiejo Wed 29-Jan-14 15:32:49

Hairy armpits are supposed to smell less. The hair helps wick sweat away from the body. (Although I shave mine about once a week.)

LurcioLovesFrankie Wed 29-Jan-14 15:29:48

PS I should add the hairs I really hate are the ones under my double chin because they're so bloody hard to get at and grow to mammoth proportions.

Strangely, I am totally laid back about going swimming with my hairy armpits, and like others on this thread, have found that when I shave, my pits feel uncomfortably clammy and seem to sweat more.

LurcioLovesFrankie Wed 29-Jan-14 15:26:54

Thing is, Most, that's a hell of a long list. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing, so the time spent doing it is enjoyable to you. But if that sort of level of grooming doesn't entertain you, why feel forced to by social pressures.

From your list:
I shower every day (basic hygiene).
Remove facial hair (because we are all subject to conditioning, and I feel unfeminine with a beard and moustache - would be nice to live in some sort of utopia where I didn't feel that way, but I do).
Occasionally wear jewellery because it's pretty.
Occasionally wear something other than a top which doesn't need ironed and jeans, again because it's pretty, and sometimes even hairy menopausal feminists like to feel pretty grin.

But that's about it. What do I do with the time I save? A precious extra 20 minutes in bed, which with a 5 yo is badly needed!

But if you like those things, I don't see what's wrong with doing them. That's fine.

Feminists aren't going to stand up and say "don't do them." What they might say is "but we'd like to be free to make the point that you don't choose to do these things in a cultural vacuum, free from any social pressures, and isn't it interesting that the typical male grooming regime (one of my male friends described this as 'shit, shower, shave') takes much, much less time than the typical female grooming regime?"

MostWicked Wed 29-Jan-14 14:52:31

What I can't work out, is what grooming is a woman allowed to do, in order to be considered a feminist and not a victim of social pressure?

Brush hair, style hair, cut hair, colour hair?
Shower daily?
Pluck eyebrows?
Remove facial hair?
Trim nails, file & buff nails, paint nails?
Wear make up?
Camouflague scars?
Wear jewellery?
What clothes are purely practical?
At what point do clothes become too sexy to be feminist?

If a man grooms, has he sold out on his masculinity.

Why can't I just shave my legs because I prefer the feel of it? They are never on display in winter, so it doesn't worry me what they look like.

I think I like being female too much to be a feminist, if being a feminist means that I can't do any grooming beyond what is needed to stay healthy.

TheWitTank Wed 29-Jan-14 12:46:59

I don't think hairy armpits or legs on a lady are a bad/ugly thing, but I prefer to be clean shaven in all areas. Nothing to do with pleasing my husband or being universally accepted, just because I like the way it feels. I feel cleaner and fresher hairless, and it doesn't bother me shaving every day at all.

Ilovexmastime Wed 29-Jan-14 12:32:28

"Most likely those saying that shaving makes it worse are either caking on the deodorant so it's coating your armpit hair, or thinking that no hair means you don't have to wash under your arm."

err, no actually. I'm well aware I still need to wash and I spray on the same amount of deodorant whether I've shaved or not. It's definitely never "caked on" hmm.

goblindancer Wed 29-Jan-14 12:32:25

I hate hairy armpits on me. I shave armpits and lady garden every day and legs twice a week so am always smooth! It just feels nicer!
I don't care what others do though would probably do a double take at a woman with hairy armpits because it's so unusual.

I like men with hairfree armpits too- they smell nicer !

WingedPig Wed 29-Jan-14 11:22:13

I find it depressing that we're so conditioned to think women's bodies should look a certain way that even women themselves find body hair disgusting.

GatoradeMeBitch Wed 29-Jan-14 10:12:55

I think as long as someone showers daily there's no need to worry about body odour anyway.

I couldn't get away with washing every other day though, but more power to you nooka if you can! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now