To quite like having hairy armpits?

(89 Posts)
WingedPig Tue 28-Jan-14 20:40:22

I've always had hair free armpits but have left them to grow free for the last couple of months. I have decided I actually quite like it, I feel quite feminine and liberated. AIBU? Does anyone else feel like this?

WingedPig Tue 28-Jan-14 21:14:03

I wouldn't be brave enough to go out with hairy armpits exposed - sad really.....

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Tue 28-Jan-14 21:18:02

An old yoga teacher used to have the bushiest armpits that I couldn't take my eyes off. She was hardcore doing all the poses, not caring or conforming. That's hardcore ;)

mindalina Tue 28-Jan-14 21:20:10

see i think i could manage exposing my hairy armpits to the world, but i would struggle to expose hairy legs. it is weird

Devora Tue 28-Jan-14 21:22:05

I feel very comfortable with underarm hair - my own or other people's. I only bother shaving if they're going to be on show, and that is purely because of the social pressure.

I cannot in a million years see what is disgusting about it.

woodlandsprite14 Tue 28-Jan-14 21:24:22

It looks like a mans armpit, I just think to so unattractive.

Up to you.

I'm quite happy with leg hair I can plait but I shave my armpits. It is conditioning, I know.

It's not unreasonable at all, though!

Commander6 Tue 28-Jan-14 21:28:20

Dont like it at all. But am not remotely bothered whether others have it or not.

GiniCooper Tue 28-Jan-14 21:28:57

Hate it, although mine aren't very hairy anyway.
DH shaves his pits and also trims his pubes, it's not just a 'lady' thing.
He's almost 40 I'm 36, in case that's relevant to anyone.

volestair Tue 28-Jan-14 21:32:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DukeSilver Tue 28-Jan-14 21:39:23

I don't bother shaving mine. I like it, dp doesn't care. I'm not a very sweaty person so it's not at all unhygienic. I hairy legs and an untamed muff too, feel very comfortable with it all.

Growing up I never say my mum with un-hairy legs or armpits so it was how I first saw the female body, that's probably the reason I have no qualms about it.

BOFtastic Tue 28-Jan-14 21:43:19

I rather like it too- it's only a bit of fluff, and not very dark. Likewise everywhere else. I have to be quite bored to shave anything, and if I do, I invariably get painful spots a day or two later, so it hardly seems worth it. I have never had any complaints.

FragglerockAmpersand Tue 28-Jan-14 21:45:01

I have armpit hair. There's not much of it. I think au naturel looks rather erotic and transgressive, like something that would turn on Toulouse Lautrec or Degas grin

Always shave my legs, mind. Not political for me really: more aesthetic.

pookamoo Tue 28-Jan-14 21:46:07

I left mine for ages [lazy] and then when I got round to shaving them, my deodorant felt all slimy when I put it on. Def prefer unshaved armpits in the winter.

elfycat Tue 28-Jan-14 21:50:10

I've been lazy for a while and I quite like armpit hair, but I do think I'm a bit smellier. That might be a hormone peri-menopausal thing rather than the hair.

I've also got hairy leg and DD2 (3) was stroking them saying 'nice' so I have approval over that, but haven't had any of it out in public.

MrsDavidBowie Tue 28-Jan-14 21:50:20

I am a lasered hair free zone, and love it.
I loathe dh's armpit hair...at least he trims it back like leylandi regularly.

SomethingOnce Tue 28-Jan-14 21:50:38

Yuck would not want to see anyone else's hairy pits so I definitely do mine. Have lasered so no more worries.

Anyone's or any woman's?

IceBeing Tue 28-Jan-14 21:53:55

Hairy armpits here....and legs....

I definitely smell way better with my body hair doing its antibacterial business than removing the protection and replacing it with 'orrible chemicals...

DayAfterYesterday Tue 28-Jan-14 21:55:07

I don't think I've ever had hairy pits, I shave them every other day without fail always have so no chance for hair to grow, I'd be rather put of a woman with hairy pits and prefer it minimal on men. Each to their own though as with any body hair

TheProsAndConsOfHitchhiking Tue 28-Jan-14 21:58:02

I can not remember the last time I had armpit hair. I just routinely shave them everyday in the shower. No offence at all to anyone who likes the fluff but I just couldn't go a day without shaving (everywhere).

I do love my dp's armpit hair though, I stroke and play with it often.

Weegiemum Tue 28-Jan-14 22:02:39

2 years ago I developed a neurological illness tat reduces the sensation in my skin.

I basically can't shave as if I knick/cut/graze I can't feel it and then I end up with infections.

My lower legs are badly scarred from all my falls over the last while and I wear trousers/long skirts/maxi dresses so feel no need to shave my legs (though at my 6-weekly pedicure with the podiatrist she waxes my hobbit-like toes!) and underarms are so complex I'd have to get dh to do it and ...... No ...... Just no!!

SecretNutellaFix Tue 28-Jan-14 22:08:52

I had to stop shaving when I had a massive allergic reaction to spray deodorant a couple of years ago. Basically the whole area debrided and for ages afterwards the new skin was too sensitive to touch more than gently with a roll on deodorant.

I recently tried a new one and the same thing happened.

I shave underarms and legs every single day. Neither are ever on show though, even in summer I am completely covered up and DH only sees me with the lights off grin Just cannot stand the feel of body hair! I used to shave my arms too but realised there was so little there it wasn't worth the extra time so stopped.

That said I don't think there is anything unreasonable with liking body hair, its personal surely?

Ilovexmastime Tue 28-Jan-14 22:11:32

I only bother shaving my pits if I'm wearing a sleeveless top, so not often in the winter. It doesn't bother me at all, I don't notice it really. I definitely smell more of sweat when they're shaved though.

ouryve Tue 28-Jan-14 22:11:53

I prefer the feeling with hair. Less sticky and less smell prone. I get horrible BO when I do shave.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 28-Jan-14 22:14:32

I have hairy pits, 70's bush and hairy legs
don't think it is anyones' call just mine. every now and then I shave them cos I want to then they grow out again

that said because I am a bit of a wierdo I measured the length of my ubes the otherday and they are over 3 inches long and dead straight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now