to wonder if women

(105 Posts)
Coldlightofday Tue 28-Jan-14 19:56:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coldlightofday Wed 29-Jan-14 20:50:17

NearTheWindmill Wed 29-Jan-14 20:52:23

Traininthedistance I agree with you about the generational thing the first time round but for the second career I applied to an ad in the local paper and at 43 went back to the bottom, part-time, for about £8k per annum, and for a second time I just got my head down and got on with the job and kept saying "I'd like to do that please" and eventually through dint of hard work they listened and let me apply for promotion and funded my professional quals (which I was allowed on by the local college as an exception without a degree after an interview and test). So whilst I agree in the first instance I don't in the second and things were much tougher when I went back. I will never earn what I earned in the 80's and 90's again, but it's still double average and it's local and it suits and it really isn't rocket science or very hard.

If an old so and so like me can do it, I don't see why lots of other women can't but having said that a lot of my contemporaries at the time (playground) said I was nuts and what I was doing was beneath them, etc.

I really do think that the nub of the matter is that I was well educated if not well qualified and I think the fact that qualifications have replaced "education" is very sad indeed and I don't understand why the UK, society, politicians, etc., haven't caught onto it. I think the worm is turning and vive la revolution is all I can say.

Poopoopeedooo Wed 29-Jan-14 21:58:07

Just catching up on the thread since last night....Interesting point made by Duckworth 2 pages back ... Sorry- I´m skipping past all the very interesting stuff re workplace inequality here!
She was saying that in a world where actually producing children is probably causing more problems than it solves, our unique reproductive role is therefore not an asset and we are thus not revered for our role as mothers.
I shall go and ponder that some more.
As you were

Poopoopeedooo Wed 29-Jan-14 22:00:32

I was supposed to highlight that, wasn´t I?
That would be DuckworthLewis to whom Iwas attempting to refer!

Coldlightofday Thu 30-Jan-14 20:32:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now