Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have never worried for a second about the possibility of my children being abducted...

(327 Posts)
curlew Tue 28-Jan-14 12:33:14

......and to have never, as far as I can remember, made any decisions based on the possibility or factored it in to any plans I have made or actions I have taken?

Is this unusual? Do most people worry about this?

LadyInDisguise Thu 30-Jan-14 13:41:06

ltE my mum is the same than yours except that she says my memory us bad and no she had never let me do x or y at that age.
But she let me fly around the world aged 12 to go and see some family. Being looked after by the staff in between flights meant being left alone in a restaurant in a huge airport until they came back 1.5h later to pick me up lol.

SanityClause Thu 30-Jan-14 15:17:25

The getting lost bit is in response to curlew's point about people being afraid to assist a lost child.

I have been on a thread on MN, where loads of people admitted to watching toddlers who appeared to have been separated from parents, in case they needed to dive in and help. It was heart-warming, actually.

I think it is selfish of parents if they don't allow their DC to do some things because they (the parents) would worry. To save themselves some worry, their DC miss out on a bit of independence, and I think that's unfair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now