To deplore the ever-increasing use of the word, butt, when you mean bum?

(119 Posts)
Breadandwine Tue 28-Jan-14 12:22:51

The proper word for that part of our anatomy is arse, or bum or, in polite society, bottom!

'Butt' is a measly-mouthed substitute creeping more and more into our language.

I mean, "Get up off your arse you lazy scum-bag!" (When addressing your DH.)

Or, "Get up off your bum you lazy scum-bag"

Or, "Get up off your butt you lazy scum-bag!"

Which has the greater impact?

The last is a complete cop-out, folks - and we should object to it every time we hear it or see it!

NadiaWadia Mon 10-Feb-14 05:35:37

I don't like the gradual Americanisation of British English, when we have perfectly good words of our own. And like other say, 'arse' and 'bum' are much better words than 'butt'! 'Feds' for police is just stupid and meaningless in a UK context.

Have you noticed that everyone now says they were 'raised' in, for example, Birmingham. Only 20 years ago or less you would have said you were 'brought up' there, 'Raised' being purely American and rather laughably folksy sounding. Now it seems to be standard, even the BBC uses it. However I will continue to say 'brought up'!

Yes, language evolves, and all that, but due to the influence of American media I think what may happen eventually is that British English disappears entirely. Shouldn't we make a conscious effort to hold on to a British identity and resist American cultural imperialism (is that what it is)?

Trapper Mon 10-Feb-14 05:58:13

I hate it when fish use the word Butt instead of Boat. Do they teach these sprats nothing these days?

complexnumber Mon 10-Feb-14 06:04:35

A Canadian colleague of mine once asked if I had a big arse.

At least, that's what I thought he said. In reality he had asked if I had a big house as he was looking to put up some visitors to our school.

ComposHat Mon 10-Feb-14 07:12:18

complex house and arse sound remarkably similar. I remember walking to a york city versus Mansfield match and heard a Mansfield fan tell his mate 'it's alright I've got a spare DVD player up my arse'

I thought he was walking strangly.

ComposHat Mon 10-Feb-14 07:12:48

I sho

ComposHat Mon 10-Feb-14 07:13:54

Oops third attempt. House and arse sound remarkably similar in an east Midlands dialect.

LittleBabySqueakSqueak Mon 10-Feb-14 11:23:39

I think butt occupies a useful middle ground between bum, which is childishly cheeky, and arse, which is properly rude.

Littleen Mon 10-Feb-14 13:27:11

Butt belongs in USA!
I used to say 'ass' when first moved to UK, and omg the weird looks I got. I didn't even know about the words 'bum' or 'bottom'! So I quickly stopped using that. Haha. I call it bum now as bottom feels too posh for me somehow.

Doonhamer Mon 10-Feb-14 13:31:50

Vlad _ I say hin-end too. But more often than not I say "Erse". Unless I am talking to children in which case I say bum or bottom.

Pigeonhouse Mon 10-Feb-14 13:38:20

I hate the word 'bum', along with 'boobs'. It conjures up all kinds of Carry On/Kenneth Williams/Benny Hill/oo'err missus types of 'naughtiness'.

Point of information, Elizabeth Barrett Browning had an Aunt Bummy (really called Arabella, but known to all as Bummy). It makes reading some of her correspondence hilarious if you have a juvenile sense of humour...

ConferencePear Mon 10-Feb-14 13:38:34

This thread has reminded me about a very straight-laced woman I worked with a few years ago on an archaeological dig who asked if she could photograph my fanny.
When all the misunderstandings were over she produced an artistic collage of photographs of all the digger's (very muddy) bums.

Mike101 Tue 11-Feb-14 09:55:24

We do not swear and will not let them. they know if they did
swear they will be in a lot of trouble so they dont
the only word that i feel is not a swear word is bum
and will only let them use it in the wright way

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Tue 11-Feb-14 09:56:37

FIL does this, or ass...

he thinks it makes him sound cool and he is the straightest rod there was.

Mike101 Tue 11-Feb-14 10:01:38

I totally agree with that statement.
a*se it is rude

fluffyraggies Tue 11-Feb-14 10:06:35

i've pulled my DD3 (15) up for using butt instead of bum/bottom/arse.

Recently, horror of horrors, she said shopping '*mall*', FGS, instead of 'center'. DH and i both looked up and said ''mall??'' at the same time ... she hasn't said it again. i blame too much american tv.

Mike101 Tue 11-Feb-14 10:26:41

yes I agree i dont like the butt word to

mineof4 Thu 13-Feb-14 09:10:11

we only say bum here

I also hate it when people use 'movies' instead of 'films'. while we`'re on the subject.

Gatekeeper Fri 14-Feb-14 14:54:43

I HATE movies as well...it sounds cringeworthy when British people say it . I am also unable to say "guy" or "you guys" as well; argghh

"reaching out"
"loving it"
"journey" (other than on the bus/train etc)

<goes for a calming sherry>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now