To think that smoking in a car with children should be made illegal!

(93 Posts)
longbay Mon 27-Jan-14 22:26:58

Was sitting in my car at the traffic lights, when another car pulled alongside me with a baby (approx 9-12 months) sitting in the back. The man driving the car was smoking. All the windows were up except his which was open a couple of inches.
Firstly I was absolutely shocked that people still smoke near children let alone trapped in a car. Then I felt real anger & rage that I couldn't do anything about what I had seen. AIBU to feel so enraged by that man's behavior? I want to start a petition but wouldn't have a clue how?!

MidniteScribbler Mon 27-Jan-14 23:39:57

If you take someone's driving licence you often lose them their job, that's really a lot OTT.

No the person who chooses to break the law has lost themselves a job. There is a choice NOT to break a law if it exists.

Selfish bastards, whose kids health comes 2nd to their own sad

WhoFramedRogerRabbit Tue 28-Jan-14 00:10:03

To the poster that said 'smokers are the most selfish people ever'. What a wild generalisation! I smoke. I have smoked for ten years (never while ttc or pregnant.) My oldest child is 5 and does not know I smoke because I only ever do it away from the house or when he is in bed. However, I completely agree it should be made an offence to smoke in the car with children - I'd go so far as to say it should be an offence to smoke in a car full stop to make it easier to be policed. I have no issues as a smoker with pulling over to a service station to have one on long journeys so would therefore prefer a blanket ban to make it more enforceable.

Belle2808 Tue 28-Jan-14 00:32:28

Smoking while driving should absolutely be made illegal. It is distracting and irresponsible. However I don't feel that it should just be with children in car as in being realistic it's just not feasible to punish someone for doing something they will go home and do anyway. Not saying it's right but the simple fact is people smoke. This won't change and most of them wouldn't smoke around a baby or child anyway. Ban it while driving and at least that gives a small level of protection.

Ericaequites Tue 28-Jan-14 00:38:57

The UAE has just banned smoking in the car with under twelves, and that nation is certainly not progressive.
I'm an American who thinks smoking in the car with children is no t a Good Idea, but is loathe to more legislation on smoking. Disclosure: I am a non-smoker.

Smoking is an addiction. It's not something people can simply give up at the flick of a switch.

I have never smoked, as I said up thread I'm the DD of a smoker who wished he hadn't started and hated himself for doing it.

In an ideal world smokers on long journeys should pull over and smoke out of the car. We don't live in an ideal world, people are in a hurry, it rains, their children moan, the temptation to break the law is huge and the chance of being caught tiny.

Worst still is the probability we'll get people fiddling with fag lighters as well as fucking mobiles on our narrow (police free) lanes.

MidniteScribbler Tue 28-Jan-14 02:54:20

So by your logic I should be able to speed whenever my son in whinging, or I'm in a hurry? Or I should be able to check my mobile phone since it's inconvenient to stop when I get a text message or it rings? If the law exists, then you find a way to abide by it. If pulling over every so often for a cigarette is that important, then you do it. Public safety, and especially safety of children trumps the rights of people to not be inconvenienced.

AdoraBell Tue 28-Jan-14 02:56:29

YANBU

I read on BBC that a Dr. Is pushing for it To happen. I hope it does.

poopooheadwillyfatface Tue 28-Jan-14 07:59:38

yanbu. I am a smoker. I wouldn't dream of smoking in the car with the dcs or inside the house

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 28-Jan-14 08:16:39

YANBU. My DM also used to smoke in the car with us as kids and I hated it. When I see it now, I get quite upset about the poor kids breathing in all that crap.

I am pleased to learn that it is banned in other countries. Hopefully England will follow suit sooner rather than later.

ZingSweetApple Tue 28-Jan-14 08:54:23

YADNBU

it should be illegal and considered child abuse.

I hate smoking with a vengeance. suffered from respiratory problems all my life - both parents were chain smokers.

worriedbusinessman Tue 28-Jan-14 08:56:33

its a revolting habit. Any form of smoking should be banned!

mercibucket Tue 28-Jan-14 09:03:10

agree

HoratiaDrelincourt Tue 28-Jan-14 09:17:54

I don't really see why the smoking ban in vehicles can't be extended to any vehicle with even one passenger - smoke in the car on your own, but not with anyone else there.

I think smokers could already be prosecuted for driving without due care if the smoking distracts them - eg lighting up and taking eyes off the road, or dropping ash on skin or clothing.

Tailtwister Tue 28-Jan-14 09:18:39

YANBU. There's really no need to smoke in the car. If you're desperate to smoke, just pull over and stand outside the car to do it. There can't be a person alive who doesn't know the dangers of passive smoking and it amazes me when I see people smoking with children (and often tiny babies) in the car.

AphraBane Tue 28-Jan-14 09:21:11

It's a foul habit, and of course it damages children's health in the long term. We had a mini when I was young, and both parents would smoke in the front seat and I was there in the back, with a rear window that only opened about two inches. I would have my face right up to the window to try and escape the smoke.

My DM gave up when I was 6 and has since apologised for what she did (while maintaining that she was never told that smoking during pregnancy could be harmful hmm). But my DF continued, and this being the 70s, nobody ever told him to stop because it was horrible for all the non-smokers present.

AphraBane Tue 28-Jan-14 09:21:41

oop, that reads like we had a mini something. I meant we had a Mini (brand of car).

MidniteScribbler I'm a realist, people should abide by the law, but they don't!

Making laws that people try to get round doesn't make the world universally safer.

No mobile phones while driving, makes the MW and A roads safer. It makes our single lane roads a damned sight more dangerous.

Telling people to pull over to phone or smoke is all very well, but next time your on a long windy A/B road count the lay-bys. Especially those you'd spot if you didn't know the road.

We have very few and over the years a lot have been blocked off because they were used by travellers and fly tippers.

whiteblossom Tue 28-Jan-14 11:45:23

yadnbu.

Ive had to tell my mum not to smoke in her car with my ds in it, she rolls her eyes but Im deadly serious. BUT she still smokes in the car on the way over- a two minute drive, so the smoke it already waiting so I have to make her air the car with ash flying everywhere.

I think shes a dirty dog and shes my mother! Its selfish to force anyone else to breath in your toxic smoke-it kills.

needless to say my ds spends very little time in her company- her loss.
I even have to air my house off after she has left my house and she has NOT smoked, she stinks!

tb Tue 28-Jan-14 14:54:03

Given that people have been prosecuted for driving without due care and attention when
pulling a hair bobble off a pony tail and
eating a sandwich

I can't understand why using a naked flame while driving is apparently ok.

tb Tue 28-Jan-14 14:54:41

It's also an offence to smoke under the Road Traffic Act for a psv licence holder at the wheel of a bus.

MrsOakenshield Tue 28-Jan-14 14:59:30

both my parents did it, they knew it made us feel sick and yet they still carried on, my mum quite often with me kicking the back of her seat for however long it took her to finish. They perfectly summed up the utter selfishness of it. I couldn't care less about condemning them, they condemned us to hours of passive smoking.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 28-Jan-14 14:59:35

Yanbu.

My parents used to smoke in the car - dad did eventually quit, but mum still smokes (at 80). Dad used to smoke his pipe! I hated it, and like LEM it made me sick to my stomach, and gave me a headache.

I did once ask my mum not to smoke in the car, and told her how it made me feel - and she refused to stop, point blank!! She said it was dad's pipe making me feel so sick, but it was both - and the cigarette smoke was worse.

What kind of mum refuses to stop smoking in the car when her child has told her it is making her feel ill?

RalphGnu Tue 28-Jan-14 15:31:38

YANBU. There is no excuse for smoking in the car with children. My grandad used to smoke when driving long distance with my brother in the car - I remember my brother, who has asthma, coughing a lot.

We must've reeked of fags when we got out too. Who wants their kids to stink of second hand smoke?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now