Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to have unfriended someone on FB for posting a "900 days til my wedding" status

(54 Posts)
dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 27-Jan-14 16:37:44

Seriously.... FFS.

I would not be able to stand the constant countdown. July 2016. Live in the now!!

WilsonFrickett Mon 27-Jan-14 17:29:06

YABU Because there would have definitely been a gazsquillion most excellent AIBU threads off the back of her facebook in the next 900 years. And now we'll never know.....

WilsonFrickett Mon 27-Jan-14 17:29:31

900 days, not years ^^ it would just feel like years grin

KippyVonKipperson Mon 27-Jan-14 17:33:11

Are you sure she wasn't just joking at how long away it is? Seems a bit harsh to unfriendly her. Ok, if she does a countdown for the next 900 days then maybe, but not for 1 status.

dontsqueezetheteabag Wed 29-Jan-14 10:08:15

They defo were not joking - since I unfriended and updated my status saying what I had done SOOOO many mutual friends have got in touch and said they thought exactly the same thing.

I knew I could removed their posts from my feed but what is the point in that?

I think FB is such a trouble maker - makes people look stupid and people end up bitching like mad behind the backs of others - just like I have done here!!

Lottiedoubtie Wed 29-Jan-14 10:14:34

They defo were not joking - since I unfriended and updated my status saying what I had done SOOOO many mutual friends have got in touch and said they thought exactly the same thing.

You did WHAT? You're worse than her.

I knew I could removed their posts from my feed but what is the point in that?

I don't know, something nice about not being a total bitch and hurting someone else's feelings isn't there?

LoveWine Wed 29-Jan-14 10:17:46

If you un-friended this person over this, it means you weren't such close friends anyway. I personally would be more selective with who I add as a "friend".

Juno77 Wed 29-Jan-14 10:18:47

shock you really did that?

msmoss Wed 29-Jan-14 10:20:39

One of your friends got a little bit over excited about her wedding and posted one facebook status so you defriended her, created a status so that you and her other friends could bitch about her behind her back and then started a thread about her on an internet forum?

Why has this bothered you so much? Are you always this horrible to people who dare to be a bit happy?

LoveWine Wed 29-Jan-14 10:23:03

Wow you probably did her a favor by defriending her.

ephemeralfairy Wed 29-Jan-14 10:23:48

I would have been tempted to comment along the lines of, 'a lot can happen in 900 days...you might have split up by then'.

I am a horrible nasty person though.

(disclaimer: I wouldn't have actually done it though, just fantasised...)

HarpyFishwifeTwat Wed 29-Jan-14 10:31:01

I think there must be something wrong with me. I can quite happily ignore status updates on Facebook. And can certainly let them wash over me without posting my own bitchy updates pissing on other people's parades.

wimblehorse Wed 29-Jan-14 10:33:38

YWNBU to unfriend or remove her from your feed.

since I unfriended and updated my status saying what I had done

^^This on the other hand IVU

She's naiive, happy & excited about a big life event.

You, on the other hand, I'm struggling to say what I think without it being a personal attack!

Bit sad to talk about a wedding 900 days in the future.

WHole lot sad to make fun of people via a FB status

dontsqueezetheteabag Wed 29-Jan-14 10:43:23

I was not anywhere near close friends with this person so maybe yeah, I shouldn't have been friends in the first place.

FFS though..... a 900 day count down. She IBU expecting people not to get pissed off with her going on about it for the next 900 days.

Lottiedoubtie Wed 29-Jan-14 10:48:13

But you don't know she actually will. You're judging her on the possibility. All she actually did is post one 'countdown' status, which sounds tongue in cheek to me.

You on the other hand have behaved appallingly.

Juno77 Wed 29-Jan-14 10:49:10

Probably wasn't a 900 day countdown through.

She was probably not intending to post every day for the next 899 days.

Defriending her was probably best but you shouldn't have posted about it. That's not nice.

SlimJiminy Wed 29-Jan-14 11:02:38

Delete/hide her = fine.

since I unfriended and updated my status saying what I had done = really unkind.

She probably won't care that you've unfriended her, but she might care that you're bitching to your friends about her. Time to leave her alone now?

Nanny0gg England Wed 29-Jan-14 11:05:52

You updated your status about it??

miaow!

<wonders how many people have Unfriended the OP now...>

Topaz25 Wed 29-Jan-14 11:08:00

It depends whether she was posting once as a joke like StrwaberryCheese or whether she was going to update every day!

absoluteidiot Wed 29-Jan-14 11:10:43

Probably only 950 days to the divorce.

feathermucker Wed 29-Jan-14 11:12:26

Unfriending her is obvioulsy not the real reason, there has to be more to it.

If that's the only reason you've unfriended her then YABU. Her wedding, her choice - you could have just blocked her from your news feed.

I think it was kind of you to unfriend her.

CalamitouslyWrong Wed 29-Jan-14 11:15:14

Tbh, you now just look like a bitch for putting a status up about it. Even if you thought her status was crap and you don't consider her much of a friend, that's still a shitty thing to do.

If you have a problem with someone you have two reasonable choices:
1. Speak to them about it and sort it out; or
2. Say nothing and leave them be.

Since this situation doesn't actually affect you in any meaningful way, 2 would be the best option.

Publicly bitching about someone is never a good option.

GiniCooper Italy Wed 29-Jan-14 11:31:55

You sound worse than she does TBH.

YANBU for unfriending someone you obviously have no reason to be 'friends' with.

YABVU to post your own even more annoying status.

WilsonFrickett Wed 29-Jan-14 11:32:07

You know if mutual friends have commented on your status, she can probably see it? That is really mean. She was a bit daft and carried away, fair enough, but you've posted something mean and now she probably knows about it so will be feeling like shit. Not cool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now