AIBU to be incensed at the inequalities in the benefit system? (long sorry)

(259 Posts)
Libran70 Mon 27-Jan-14 10:48:11

I read MN every day and think how awful it is that so many people are struggling to cope on inadequate benefits and of the nit picking interviews they have to go through to get anything extra. And then there's ASOS causing so much upset and forcing disabled people to justify their existence.

I know there is a very small minority who play the system but they seem to be the only ones we ever hear about. So many people are struggling, no one should have to go to a food bank to feed their children.

However, there are cases where the money could be shuffled around and aimed at those really struggling.

My cousin is autistic and she lives in a wonderful complex within the community. She has a flat (bedroom, kitchen, living room, bathroom) and there is a care worker on call 24/7. SWs call daily to help her prepare meals, do her washing, take her shopping and so on. She also has an active social life, organised by SS and a local charity. She also has a supported job washing up in an old people's home close by. She sees her remaining parent every weekend and they go on holiday together. She pays for her own holidays and some of the care from her allowances.

This really is an example of excellent care. She was recently reassessed and she is entitled to every penny she gets in allowances and benefits.

However, she has a five figure amount of money in savings. All of this is saved from her benefits and allowances. I hope she has a long life ahead of her but when she dies this money and a lot more, I guess, will go to her family.

AIBU in thinking that this would not be fair? And AIBU in thinking she is getting far too much (at the moment) and there are people out there who need it more?

WooWooOwl Tue 28-Jan-14 21:05:12

I agree with you candy.

Now Sock that's not strictly true is it.

I've never called anyone a crap parent, I've never accused anyone of spending taxpayers money on drugs, I've never criticised anyone for owning a TV, or accused anyone of getting everything for free, or made up figures about amounts of free cash.

You are accusing me of all sorts of crap just because you and I have differing opinions and you seem to have twisted what I have said in your own head so that you have something to rage at. It's wierd.

YANBU. I have 6 children and am constantly skint. If the people who get benefits don't need the money, it should be put back into the pot so people like me who don't get enough can have a better income. It's only fair, if the pot can't get bigger, stop paying out to people that don't need it and people who do need it can get more.

Misspixietrix Tue 28-Jan-14 21:30:30

hmm

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 28-Jan-14 21:36:48

Actually woowoo I wholeheartedly agree with you on many many issues rather a lot of your posts have been interesting thoughtful and show consideration as well as several threads where we have both had the same stance on a matter,I also have no inclination to rage at anybody,I am far to busy planning my next sock amnesty.

However you have often been pulled up by several posters on many benefit related threads for posting unpleasant generalisations and just the right side of goading type things.and you have never quite grasped exactly what it is you have said that gets the reaction.

deakymom Tue 28-Jan-14 23:04:55

perhaps she doesnt go out shopping often? to be fair her benefits are also there for her to be able to travel to buy clothing etc i think its great that her accommodations meets her needs but that is rare these days and the benefits are tested on people who dont have that perhaps you can encourage her to return it to the government when she dies if you think that is fair?

zebrafinch Wed 29-Jan-14 04:32:36

cannot agree with your suggestion deakymom - a logical extension of this would be everyone who receives child benefit and tax credits return their savings to the Government when they die!

WooWooOwl Wed 29-Jan-14 08:42:43

Fair enough Sock. I tend to think that people who are pulling me up do so because they simply disagree, which is fine, or because they are taking something I have said personally when it wasn't.

A lot of 'pulling up' seems to me to happen because people make generalisations about anyone who believes there are significant ways in which the welfare bill could be better spent. I actually don't want the benefits bill to be reduced, (as my posts on this thread relating to the OP will allude to) but you can barely say that you don't agree with certain benefits without being called a daily mail reading, Tory loving, poor hating goader.

Owllady Wed 29-Jan-14 09:28:15

The lady isn't poor she is severely disabled and needs 24/7 care. She is part of a minority of people in our society who is extremely vulnerable.
I have been a taxpayer. My husband is a taxpayer. I would rather our tax is paid to people like this.
I can't believe it's even being questioned, let alone picked over.
It beggars belief

If over the years the DWP appointee for my son "amassed a five figure sum" from his benefit entitlement I would say that the appointee is not doing their job properly

Absolutely! And that has triggered a memory of something I read recently where people in care homes were not being allowed to spend their money. Hm. Trying to remember where that was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now