To think scouts guides etc

(246 Posts)
alicetrefusis Mon 27-Jan-14 01:41:31

Are bloody weird. And the adults even more so. The uniforms!I speak as an ex guide ran away- but shit all that weirdly pseudo military stuff.looked at from the outside v disturbing. Also the cannibalistic rites and torture bits of the Christian service awful. Yet look around and church full of daily nail blue rinses and young parents desperate to get em into school, scary,

FatOwl Mon 27-Jan-14 02:30:50

I think (but it's not very clear) that your rant is about a very disturbing church service so not sure why the vitriol towards the Scouts and Guides

alicetrefusis Mon 27-Jan-14 02:31:35

Gosh really didn't know this was a well gnawed bone of contention! Let me add " doing chopstick relay races" to the list!

alicetrefusis Mon 27-Jan-14 02:32:27

Oh come off it fat you know what I mean!

arabellarubberplant Mon 27-Jan-14 02:32:33

There are some very special leaders. I once met a chap who appeared at camp fires in his wife's leopard print dressing gown, with red tassels. And a serious face.

I wear a blanket. With badges on. Or a sturdy north face fleece so that I melt if I stand too close.

No dodgy leopard print negligee for me.

arabellarubberplant Mon 27-Jan-14 02:34:30

If you search 'scouts' on mn you will understand. Honestly, this has been rerun so many bloody times it rivals disabled parking.

There's always the woodcraft folk. <helpful and yet repetitive>

ComposHat Mon 27-Jan-14 02:35:16

I think I like the sound of the Brownies. Pixies, sprites and enchanted toadstools... it all seems a bit trippy, like it seems like it was all cooked up by Syd Barrett in the 1960s when off his bonce on acid.

arabellarubberplant Mon 27-Jan-14 02:37:15

Ah, no, you DEFINITELY need the woodcraft folk, compo...

alicetrefusis Mon 27-Jan-14 02:43:01

Had no idea Arabella and all.
Just reeling from the absurdity of it all and recollections of my own uncomfotableness at the time,
And enjoying making a real experience funny.
And I didn't even park in a pfb on board space either.

arabellarubberplant Mon 27-Jan-14 02:45:21

there's Nowt wrong with a smidge of absurdity in life. As long as you don't take it too seriously wink

nooka Mon 27-Jan-14 02:53:38

My children did Cubs/Scouts and Guides, but are atheist/agnostic and haven't been to church more than a couple of times since their community school stopped being chummy with the local vicar. Neither of them have ever been to church with the Scouts/Guides or done anything vaguely religious. ds's Cub leader did try to persuade him that he had to eat a slug to become a cub, but didn't manage to keep a straight face for long enough grin

Church services can be a bit strange especially if you've not been to one before and listen to all the words (being brought up a church going Catholic meant that I learned long ago to zone out). My sister joined a very evangelical (singing in tongues and all that stuff) church for a while and going with her was a very very odd experience. When her dd was christened most of my Catholic family arrived after the service because it was just too much for them.

alicetrefusis Mon 27-Jan-14 03:23:42

Thanks Nooka. I have been to far too many services in my youth- that's my point. Familiarity leads to zoning out when actually what is at the heart of the Christian religion is pretty, well, gross when unpicked. Very glad to hear church attendance no longer mandatory. I guess it couldn't continue to be these days anyway.

Kytti Mon 27-Jan-14 03:59:20

I'm a cub leader! (And a 'laydee' too! Shhhh! Don't tell the founder!) Where do we sign up for cannabalistic rites?

Yes, ORIGINS are military. 'Scouting for Boys' was all about campcraft and the like though. That's where it comes from. Now run along before I get out my rope and begin to practise knots on you.

lol at arabella Yeah, love it when you realise how much you're appreciated, eh? Wonder how many community groups the OP runs in their own time for free?

Kytti Mon 27-Jan-14 03:59:51

... and I'm not remotely interested in church.

Onesie Mon 27-Jan-14 04:06:23

Mine do non of the churchie stuff you mention, they are too busy running around in the dark building campfires.

MothratheMighty Mon 27-Jan-14 04:07:31

So that's what all the campfires and Deadthingsonastick were about, my son told me they were sausage cookouts.
Ah well, too late now, he's loved the scouts for years and years and is obviously lost to cannibalistic rituals and the like.

redexpat Mon 27-Jan-14 08:22:24

I'm a Guide leader. Not military. Not Christian. Yes we USED to promise to serve God but that was more than 20 years ago.

But hey why base a thread on fact when you have outdated anecdotal evidence? It's so much more fun this way.

There's only one person on this thread who sounds bloody weird and it's not the Guide and Scout leaders.

livelablove Mon 27-Jan-14 08:36:43

I used to go to guides years ago and my overwheming memory of it is tidying up the patrol box, which we seemed to do every week. I know my mum didn't like it when she found out we sang a campfire song that went "father Abraham had 7 sons, 7 sons had father Abraham, and they didn't drink, and they didn't smoke and they didn't have much fun"

WooWooOwl Mon 27-Jan-14 08:38:54

I can see where you're coming from, but a little bit of odd is far outweighed by the brilliance of our local scout leaders.

We are so lucky to live near such an active group, and the only church service is the Remembrance Day one with the parade, which is lovely.

Scout leaders can be as odd as they like as long as they continue to do mud, fire, camping and numerous sports activities with my ds's. I am extremely grateful to them.

Lottiedoubtie Mon 27-Jan-14 08:43:53

There's only one person on this thread who sounds bloody weird and it's not the Guide and Scout leaders.

Yes. Quite.

OP some of your posts don't make you sound quite well?

Grennie Mon 27-Jan-14 08:59:21

I know things have changed. But when I was a child Guides went to church parades, to Thanksgiving services, promised to serve God, etc. This is what happened in the UK. It was not rogue leaders doing this, but standard practice of the Guides.

MoominIsGoingToBeAMumWaitWHAT Mon 27-Jan-14 09:09:33

My future FIL is a scout leader, and my future SIL is a cubs leader. Both staunch atheists and not cannibalistic at all (in my experience). Although maybe the Welsh scouts are a bit more placid than your raving rabid English ones? grin

Grennie Mon 27-Jan-14 09:14:08

When talkiung about cannibalistic, is the OP talking about mass?

Unexpected Mon 27-Jan-14 09:21:48

Op, I know you said you were trying to make a real-life experience funny but it isn't working. You are coming across as a bit deranged and certainly not the possessor of "at least two degrees" - have you forgotten what your education level actually is? You have rolled guides, scouts and the Church of England into one confused ball and come out with a misguided rant. Was the teaching of the Church really such a surprise to you? Mind you, I notice you were posting very late at night - had you been at the wine - communion or otherwise?

Mass is cannabilistic - all that talk of eating and drinking the body and blood of Jesus in order to be saved from sin. From an objective pov it's a bloody weird thing to do to your dead leader

BigW Mon 27-Jan-14 09:30:23

I went to Brownies and then Guides. I think I liked it on the whole, but the leaders were a bit mean! I got in trouble EVERY week for not going to Church. (I'm Jewish, they did know). I remember it being very religious. They used to go through the register and ask each child if they had been to church.

Also, I got the flu at camp once. I was in brownies, so whatever age that is. They refused to let me call my mum and then locked me in a room on my own all night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now