to wonder why people are so offended by Dr Christian's comment about breastfeeding?

(252 Posts)
Justholdthesmile Thu 23-Jan-14 20:17:09

He basically says that breastfeeding is good for the first 6 months as it helps a babies immune system. However after 6 months it doesn't have an effect anymore, but as long as the baby is getting a healthy diet then it's fine to continue. He then says that breastfeeding older children may make them psychologically dependent on their mother ....

The last part I have no idea about. I suppose it might could potentially be true? But ultimately I believe it's yours and your childs choice and if you want to listen to expert advice then by all means go for it, if you don't then that's fine too.

It seems to have stirred quite a lot of anger. I'm not trying to get into a debate about ff and bf - each to their own 100%.

I'm asking more whether someone would find this doctors advice offensive?

CrohnicallyFarting Thu 23-Jan-14 20:32:29

Exactly bump, not to mention the fact that he's on TV and some people will believe anything they see on TV over real life advice.

It really is a shame, because I really liked the guy before this, now I won't be able to see him in the same light again.

yonisareforever Thu 23-Jan-14 20:33:12

I guess what he may mean is the main huge percentage of benefits you will ever get from BF happen in the crucial first few weeks, and up to 6 months and beyond that the benfits remain but are never as needed as those first few days or months.

wishful75 Thu 23-Jan-14 20:34:55

I cant stand him.

He said some particularly nasty comments about diabetes once and how it was the one disease he prayed he would never get. Basically you were stuffed if you were diabetic. I watched the programme with a newly diagnosed 9 year old type 1 diabetic who was inconsolable and thought it meant she was going to die.

He's an irresponsible, ignorant arsehole.

CraftyBuddhist Thu 23-Jan-14 20:35:33

I agree with pp's.

The comments go against, for example, Nhs and WHO guidelines.

Ultimately our culture is so ignorant about natural practice bf. It is a shame that some women might feel undermined by his comments, others might be challenged by a well meaning sister/mother/friend who had read his comments. List goes on.

Oblomov Thu 23-Jan-14 20:35:37

Now you've linked to the article, everything he has said sounds completely reasonable.
He seems to have been very misquoted. Particularly on this thread.
Which bit exactly, are you objecting to?

WeddingComingUp Thu 23-Jan-14 20:36:26

I just read the link and I can't actually see anything wrong or incorrect about what he said.

justmethanks Thu 23-Jan-14 20:37:33

FFS.
I've just read the link too. Can't see what all the fuss is about. He hasn't said anything to wind yourselves up over.

CrohnicallyFarting Thu 23-Jan-14 20:37:35

justhold but saying a baby doesn't need to be breast fed after 6 months implies that any need is on the mother's part.

So by breast feeding after 6 months you are not letting your baby grow up/getting some kind of sexual thrill out of it/going to give your baby a boob fetish. Though the most common comment I get is just that DD doesn't need it any more, at which point I say 'well, the WHO recommends continuing till age 2'. They can now counter with 'dr Christian says there's no need'

That's what I meant by ammunition.

hercules1 Thu 23-Jan-14 20:38:40

Ffs, I've read the link and he said nothing wrong. Several people have misunderstood what he said on this thread. I bf ds till 4 and dd till 3 and I'm not offended in the slightest.

lightningandthunder Thu 23-Jan-14 20:39:37

Some of the comments on this thread are exactly why I felt so terrible and as if I had failed when I couldn't feed my baby after 3 months. Fine - yes if you can feed do - but don't make people like me feel like failures. I still can't believe I took tablets which had a side effect of lactation - purely because I felt so guilty. Clearly it is a good idea - but please make sure you think about what you espouse. I nearly ruined my health because of it.

WeddingComingUp Thu 23-Jan-14 20:40:42

But a baby doesn't need to be bf.

If all baby's need to be bf, fuck knows how mine have survived this long.

formerdiva Thu 23-Jan-14 20:41:03

Yep - I was all ready to be offended as well until I actually read the article. He explicitly says there's no harm in breastfeeding a 4 year old.

Does anyone actually think that breastfeeding an 8 year old is to be encouraged?

dawntigga Thu 23-Jan-14 20:42:15

Because he's an MRA who is wrong, yet again.

He is, for example, a twunt.

ILoatheTheFuckwitTiggaxx

Extended BFing was DD2's safe place, very much how she recharged her confidence stores to go off and present a very cool confident face to the world.

Meerka Thu 23-Jan-14 20:42:19

oh sorry yoni, it's the first solids (well, actually very runny) stuff you give a baby. Pap's the local name for it.

TheGreatHunt Thu 23-Jan-14 20:42:49

He talks nonsense. Shame as I like(d) him.

Children are dependant on their mothers regardless of BFing. confused

CrohnicallyFarting Thu 23-Jan-14 20:43:13

People saying they've read the link and he's said nothing wrong- it's a revised quote released after all the hoo-ha, with dr Christian trying to paint his comments in the best possible light.

And actually, google suggests it's not the first time he's dropped a clanged and given out bad breast feeding advice.

TheGreatHunt Thu 23-Jan-14 20:44:20

Actually lightningandthunder you chose to be offended. I don't get offended when I read comments about people feeding past 6 months or not using formula etc.

WeddingComingUp Thu 23-Jan-14 20:44:49

Could someone link to the original then?

justmethanks Thu 23-Jan-14 20:45:23

OK so can I see the original quote then i.e a link. I don't mean someone's interpretation of it... I'd like to see the actual original article quotes to make my mind up please

lightningandthunder Thu 23-Jan-14 20:46:00

TheGreatHunt - I suppose it is because I have felt very judged on this in past.

Formerdiva, it isn't something you encourage it happens by accident. In the great scheme of life it really doesn't matter.

At 12 & 15 my DDs get a reassuring hug, at 8 DD2, sometimes choose to have a slightly special hug, that's all.

Totally unimportant and didn't effect how she behaved the rest of the time.

TheRealAmandaClarke Thu 23-Jan-14 20:48:37

If he said what you suggest in your OP then he will be being criticised for being wrong.
Maybe he's been to one too many formula company sponsored lunches. Very common among HCPs.

TheGreatHunt Thu 23-Jan-14 20:49:14

Yes I understand lightningandthunder

However you've done the best thing for you and your child and that's what should give you strength in your decision.

Oblomov Thu 23-Jan-14 20:49:25

Right.
Ok then.
Please stop mucking us around, and link the original article then.
Do that we can have an informed debate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now