Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask the health visitor why she's here

(336 Posts)

Recently I got a letter from the health visiting team. It was informing me that an appointment had been made for a home visit for my DS because he has just turned 2.

DS is not a PFB. There's been no concerns with his development or health. No missed vaccinations or GP appointments. Nothing. So why the need for the visit?

I phoned and cancelled the appointment saying I had no concerns with my DS. They phoned back a few days later to say another appointment had been arranged. WTF? I thought this service was optional not mandatory?!

Satsuma lol!

What if my DS gets grumpy and shy (as he often does when faced with complete strangers - and she is a complete stranger. Never seen this HV before). How is he expected to perform in that state of mind? Genuine question.

musicismylife Thu 06-Feb-14 12:12:01

Hi, Op.

I can understand your frustration but I do think you should bite the bullet and see her.

Unfortunately, in a ss/hv/school capacity all parents are guilty until proven innocent. Therefore, you let him/her turn up.

musicismylife Thu 06-Feb-14 12:22:49

Wombles, you'll be fine smile

As an anxious person, this is quite stressful.

jacks365 Thu 06-Feb-14 12:30:43

Relax, be playing when she arrives so your ds is in that mood. If she's anything like mine she'll know how to engage him to get the best out of him. I was a nervous wreck too I think we all get that way.

jacks365 Thu 06-Feb-14 12:33:48

She also did height and weight but my dd refused to stand up straight for the height so we just got as close as we could before she dropped onto her bottom again. I know she's growing cos she can't walk under the breakfast bar any more.

IceBeing Thu 06-Feb-14 12:38:58

Id aim for napping....DD was napping when the HV arrived....

aworkingmummy Thu 06-Feb-14 12:50:51

My DS's 2 year check next week and I'm really looking forward to it. Our HVs are brilliant and between them and the neonatal nurses gave me & DH a lot of support and reassurance with DS (he was prem & IUGR). For the 1st year of his life we took him to "weigh day" every week without fail, it was a great comfort to see him finally getting on the centile charts and then climbing up them. We're both back at work, so HV haven't seen him for nearly a year, so we're excited to show off how well he's come on tbh.
I suppose it all depends on what the HV are like in your area - I'm lucky, mine are brilliant.

aworkingmummy mine are shite.

FutTheShuckUp Thu 06-Feb-14 15:22:47

Yes we did get that you have issues wombles....

Gruntfuttock Thu 06-Feb-14 17:02:36

HOw did the HV's visit go, OP? Not as bad as you expected I hope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now