AIBU: smoking in the shed?

(53 Posts)
Stainless Thu 23-Jan-14 17:37:27

Hello all! Just wondering if my SIL is BU asking my partner and I to 'smoke outside in the shed' in our garden from the moment her baby is born? She feels the smoke 'will permeate' our 'soft furnishings' in our home, and as such, the smoking ban and shed rule would apply at all times, not just when she and the baby visit...... AIBU to expect to smoke in my own home when they're not there, and not feel like the worst Aunt ever? I'm more than happy to be banished to the garden when they do visit, of course, but the rest of the time....? Hmm! Any thoughts appreciated! smile

Inertia Thu 23-Jan-14 20:03:55

YANBU if it's your home, but by the same token it's reasonable for her to not want to bring the baby to your home while you smoke in it. She probably also won't want you to hold the baby after smoking either, so that's something to think about in advance.

You do sound very considerate, and if the baby gives you the impetus to put your health first and give up then good luck smile

Nanny0gg Thu 23-Jan-14 20:04:51

It does depend whether she is only objecting to the actual danger from the second hand smoke or the smell from it as well.

If it's the latter then it doesn't matter what you do or where you meet, the smell will be on your clothes.

Stainless Thu 23-Jan-14 20:10:48

Regardless, I can (now) see she has a valid point. --kills me to admit it--Even if we're never going to see eye-to-eye, one thinks one should really get over oneself, and Man the F*ck Up haha, so I can be involved with the new baba. That's the most important thing in the end, eh? Oh god I sound like Jeremy Kyle!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now