dreamies, my cat is an addict

(112 Posts)
bodygoingsouth Thu 23-Jan-14 15:48:02

my cat had dreamies at Christmas in her stocking from Santa Paws. ( ok I know) anyway she's absolutly addicted now. I have to keep buying them and she's always trying to get her paw into the cupboard to steal some. she howls and miaows at us all constantly if we pass the cupboard.

are they a cat drug? should I make her go cold turkey?

advice please cat owners.

ohbleepnotagain Sun 15-Feb-15 18:17:36

my kitten went crazy for dreamies acting like a base running cokehead and when i withdrew them after reading these posts she got quite aggressive. I got some duck jerky typeofstuff from wilko today( £1/50g) and she wolfed them like the other but has flaked out like a soft toy instead of ripping up the sofa. much more reassuring ingredient list and a quiet cat. result!

taxi4ballet Sat 31-Jan-15 23:56:29

Mine is a bit of an addict too, unlike a previous feline member of the Taxi family who was obsessed with onion bhajis.

Other 'likes' I've come across over the cat-owning years - christmas cake, glace cherries, twiglets, sprouts, swiss roll and mushroom stuffing - and that was just one Christmas - don't recommend the sprouts idea, poor Taxicat found those a bit windy!

chickydoo Sat 31-Jan-15 23:32:09

My 2 cats threw up within 5 mins of each other after eating dreamies.

Onesqueakywheel Sat 31-Jan-15 23:29:49

I have made a mistake. I foolishly gave my Siamese some one morning when I got up for work. Now he wakes me at the same time EVERY sodding morning, including Saturdays and Sundays. There is NO respite. Sob. He whacks me round the head if I pretend to sleep!! Once given his morning crack I am like so much dirt on his paws.
He is currently gracing me with his presence on my lap. Furry behind in my face of course. He never looks at me except when I give him Dreamies.

bettyboop1970 Sat 31-Jan-15 21:08:29

I have a dreamies addict. We call them crack cocaine for cats. My kitten actually gets the packet and runs and hides under my bed with it, the little darling (shit!). She then bites her way through packet until she makes a hole big enough to get to them. We literally have to lock them away!!!!

ImBatDog Sat 31-Jan-15 20:50:46

yep, batcat loves them, but she only has the chicken ones.

i got into a habit of giving her a few in the morning when i do the kids breakfast, and oh my god, she SHOUTS at me now until i produce them!

ValancyJane Sat 31-Jan-15 19:38:11

We also have a dreamies addict!! He's now got us trained so well that he deliberately runs into the garage (where he's not meant to be - lots of debris as we're doing up the house) as we will then rattle the dreamies packet so he comes out.

On the plus side of his addiction, he had conjunctivitis recently, and he was a darling about the eyedrops once he figured out that dreamies followed shortly after ;)

CumberCookie Sat 31-Jan-15 19:02:31

My cat will hang around outside at night in the snow just so that she will get dreamies when we call her in.

WhenIsItHappyTime Sat 31-Jan-15 17:30:02

Ours smells tuna from yards away. As soon as that tin opens hes there purring at me!

Trickydecision Sat 31-Jan-15 09:28:29

Ours is not wild about Dreamies, but does go bonkers for catnip. Every year I hunt some down in the garden centre but he eats the lot before it can get established. He goes hyper energetic then sinks into a trance. It is our version of Cat Crack.

He also is crazy about squirty cream, it has to be the full cream sort, not the 'light' and he prefers Lidl's own. I can't think it is good for him but he is so addicted I always give in.

Brummiegirl15 Sat 31-Jan-15 09:27:24

Never tried Dreamies - we are a whiskas lot. But bloody hell you move the packet and our 3 come flying like bats out of hell

One of ours also loves KFC. In that you walk in the house with a takeaway (bad food!) and he can literally smell it at 50 paces and is trying to get into your lap whilst you eat it.

He's also partial to toast. Which makes breakfast a bit of a nightmare

Redhead11 Sat 31-Jan-15 08:41:34

Mine got them for Christmas from the NDN and i have given them a few once - and i can instantly see the potential for addiction! My XH gave a previous cat 'sprinkles' on his wet food from when he was tiny and the little shit darling wouldn't then eat anything without the sprinkles! I am being very wary about giving my two more Dreamies any time soon!

QueenFuri Sat 31-Jan-15 08:34:36

I spilt a pack of dreamies this morning getting the cats breakfast. About half a pack cat thought it was Christmas and is looking quite pleased with herself. I did try to pick them up but she kept batting my hand away as she gobbled them grin .

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 31-Jan-15 08:28:08

Neither of ours are bothered about them -will eat them but don't beg for them. Whiskas Dentabites , however...

Badgerlady Sat 31-Jan-15 08:19:08

After reading this thread, I decided I was in danger of severe kitten neglect as I'd never given my two (4 month old) kittens dreamies. I bought some whilst stocking up on so expensive it may as well contain gold nuggets cat litter.

I offered them one each. -- Feeling like I was pushing drugs outside a primary school --

Dtabbykitten sniffed and ate one enthusiastically. Dblackkitten sniffed walked away sniffed and then ate it again with a feline shrug.

No signs of addiction. Yet.

Mind you they can take or leave catnip. Scrunch up some foil and they act like kittens possessed.

CelibacyCakeAndElevatorMuzac Sat 31-Jan-15 08:07:27

Dreamies, definitely cat crack.

My 2 go nuts for it.

Evil Cat is partial to a bit of popcorn or salt & vinegar crisps!!

Ginger Cat will take your hand off for a bit of cauliflower which he then guards like prey, growling and hunched over as if it were a rat!

Igneococcus Sat 31-Jan-15 07:59:34

When I first met dp he had a cat who would try to get to your plate of food just to eat the broccoli and mashed potatoes and ignore the chicken or other meat on the plate.
Our current cat will risk life and limb to get to the full fat Turkish yogurt that I have taken a fancy to recently.

vivideye Fri 30-Jan-15 16:25:46

My poor cat is an addict. It is the only way I can fetch her in from the garden when she pretends she can't hear me. One shake and she's there. ........sad really. grin

Stinkle Fri 30-Jan-15 15:59:56

We have a Dreamies addict too.

She won't lower herself to beg, but I frequently find her trying to bust into the kitchen drawer. I lost a packet a few weeks ago and found it empty behind the couch

We have another cat who couldn't care less about them, won't eat them even if we offer - he prefers cheese and has actually swiped cheese off a bit of cheese and toast that I was lifting to my mouth and steals mini cheddars out of your packet

JadedAngel Fri 30-Jan-15 15:56:40

Lol at mushroom Brillo. Mind you, one of my four likes broccoli, and one of the others absolutely loves a little taste of the yolk from a fried egg.

My eldest boy goes wild whenever I have a Toblerone, but he's not allowed it, much to his disgust.

Thrive treats are a huge hit here too. They bloody stink though. Especially the liver flavour ones.

Mammanat222 Fri 30-Jan-15 15:56:18

My cat has never had any interest in catnip. I think its only something like 80% of cats that are affected by it.

Mammanat222 Fri 30-Jan-15 15:53:14

My girl wouldn't lower herself to actually beg for them, she prefers for them to be 'presented' to her.

She hears the packet from anywhere is the house though and like a ninja there she is.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 30-Jan-15 15:53:12

I have four cats and they all love them, but the weirdo eldest one woukd rather have a mushroom.

zukiecat Fri 30-Jan-15 15:49:45

My cats also go daft for catnip,

I have bags I bought from Cats Protection, and they just go crazy for them, I think they look so cute, rolling about looking stoned grin

LiviaDruscillaAugusta Fri 30-Jan-15 15:40:21

Ah yes - Dreamies are kitty crack grin

We should set up a support group!

And one of my parents' Siamese is a catnip addict - anything that smells of it drives him mad, and I bought him a catnip mouse with actual catnip in it - it took him approx. 5 mins to rip it open and get to the good stuff grin

He then lay around with a ripped piece of the mouse between his paws looking stoned...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now