dreamies, my cat is an addict

(75 Posts)
bodygoingsouth Thu 23-Jan-14 15:48:02

my cat had dreamies at Christmas in her stocking from Santa Paws. ( ok I know) anyway she's absolutly addicted now. I have to keep buying them and she's always trying to get her paw into the cupboard to steal some. she howls and miaows at us all constantly if we pass the cupboard.

are they a cat drug? should I make her go cold turkey?

advice please cat owners.

ComposHat Thu 23-Jan-14 18:13:55

Now catnip is another story... she gobbles that up, collapses and rolls around tbe floor flaying her head and paws about in a state of utter ecstacy.

Meerkatwhiskers Thu 23-Jan-14 18:13:59

tonks same here. Great for getting her in when she won't come in. That or a Sheba pouch (she has prescription food so the pouches are a rare treat for her - she won't eat the blooming prescription ones).

Meerkatwhiskers Thu 23-Jan-14 18:15:28

She doesn't 'do' neat catnip lol. But she does have a drug catnip fish and cigar that send her loopy.

I have two cats - Bossycat and Shycat. Dreamies are the only thing that convince Shycat to stand up for herself. Once Bossycat tried to steal Shycat's treats and she cuffed Bossycat round the head. Everyone (including Bossycat) was astounded.

I should probably stop buying them but I love the way they both come horsing up the garden with their tails all kinked when I call their names and rattle the packet.

overfacebook Thu 23-Jan-14 18:25:41

My 2 are also addicts. I only bought the damned things in the first place because of the strong resemblance between one of my moggies and the cartoon cat on the packet. Big mistake. If we forget to put them away in the cupboard (Dreamies, not cats), we will invariably discover a shredded packet, a few crumbs, and 2 nonchalant looking little fatties. What is in them?!

limitedperiodonly Thu 23-Jan-14 18:32:20

My friend bought my cat Dreamies as a treat for New Year's Day confused. I adopted him in December after my mum died.

He's had a tragic time lately, but let's be clear here, so have I and he's a cat. But she's soft-hearted like that. grin

She bought him some things called Lily's Kitchen Merry Little Cat Treats, Turkey with Cranberry, Limited Edition for Christmas. I've no idea how much they were but I suspect beyond the price of rubies.

They are like cat crack.

She didn't say anything but I can tell that she's very disapproving there's half of the Lily's Kitchen box left and I haven't started on the Dreamies.

I gave him a few Lily's Kitchens today. But too many make him puke.

To be fair to her, she bought me a really nice present too. And she's a good mate.

Givesyouhell Thu 23-Jan-14 18:46:30

My cats are addicts too. What is in them to invoke this reaction??? Does anyone know?

My cats have drawn blood biting at my hand trying to grab a dreamie that I'm holding. They scream at me every morning until they get some, and have taken up full time residence in the kitchen near the dreamie cupboard.

limitedperiodonly Thu 23-Jan-14 18:47:18

My long-ago cat used to love some Whiskas biscuits. I can't remember what they were called.

We used to sit in the living room listening to him trying to stealthily open the cupboard door and get the box down quietly.

Then we'd give it a couple of minutes and switch the light on and find him armpit-deep in the box trying to pretend: 'What's this box doing on the end of my body?'

SecretNutellaFix Thu 23-Jan-14 18:48:22

We call it cat crack.

They climb up my husband for them, and have helped themselves in the past.

AmelieRose Thu 23-Jan-14 18:51:09

My two are obsessed. My younger cat performs tricks for them and clock watches from about 8 at night until bedtime (they get a few before bed). We also call them cat crack grin

FragglerockAmpersand Thu 23-Jan-14 18:55:29

I've been warned about these. Cats like them because they are very high in salt. Apparently over-consumption can lead to kidney damage shock

(This worries me because FraggleCat is a total meth-head where Dreamies are concerned and we now strictly ration them)

hobbjobb Thu 23-Jan-14 19:08:02

Ours love them too. I left them out once and our boy cat got into them and ate the lot while we were at work, obviously gave him a bad tummy as he then shat absolutely everywhere. Tosser
Ours go absolutely mental for those meat sticks from lidl too

careful - Kitty Crack is v fattening <looks at FatCat>

I got a right telling off from the vet for giving the cat treats blush

WelshMaenad Thu 23-Jan-14 19:14:04

If it helps, they are REALLY cheap on Approved Foods right now.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Thu 23-Jan-14 19:14:06

Like lydia said. They are known in Chez Fuckery as Kitty Crack. They chew through the packet. And bite my fingers off.

EatingAllTheCrumpets Thu 23-Jan-14 19:18:06

My cat goes nuts for Dreamies, any and all flavours! He goes through a pack a week so I stock up when they are on offer!!

Devora Thu 23-Jan-14 19:22:28

My big fat cat is totally addicted to Dreamies. They are truly the work of the devil. (And I'm realising now WHY the cat is so fat...)

wintertimeisfun Thu 23-Jan-14 19:27:58

blow me down, our cat lOVES dreamies, especially the cheesey variety. i only have to call 'CHEESIES' and she bombs it into the room. at christmas she had the dreamies advent calendar :-D

Madlizzy Thu 23-Jan-14 19:35:06

Kitty crack here too, and one of our cats has learned to sit to earn one.

Feargalthecat Thu 23-Jan-14 19:38:51

Another addicted cat here, bought them as a treat for Christmas and I have NEVER seen her go so crazy for food! This is a cat who has no interest in fine cuts of fresh meat but we now have a Dreamie habit to feed.

My sister's cat loves them too, she plays Dreamie Hunt with hers.She puts the cat in the cupboard under the stairs while she hides Dreamies strategically around the house while chanting "Dreamie Dreamie" and then lets the cat out to find them. Her cat now attempts to lock itself in the cupboard to instigate the gane grin

wintertimeisfun Thu 23-Jan-14 19:41:38

fear great stuff! we use ours as a way to lure our cat down the stairs, one on each step, and it works too..

ControlGeek Thu 23-Jan-14 19:42:16

Both my two are completely addicted to these, they go mad for them. Then at some point after a handful or so they both completely switch off, not interested, don't want to know. Very weird, but great fun while it lasts!

crazynanna Thu 23-Jan-14 19:43:15

I have shares in Dreamies PLC

bodygoingsouth Thu 23-Jan-14 19:44:06

glad I started this thread as thought it was just my cat. she's pawing the cupboard right now and meowing.

what the hell is in them? she turns her nose up at cooked chicken ffs!

Milliways Thu 23-Jan-14 19:53:48

Ooh, I like to get treats for when the neighbour is feeding Millicat. He usually gets left with that cat milk, which she rations out, but last time we didn't leave any and apparently he went bonkers - just associates her with the milk grin

Now I can have different ammo - if it is only the neighbour he annoys for it (and he does go through her cat flap when he feels like it!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now