to have snuggled up in geckos bed for 10 mins whilst she feel asleep and then dd2s for 10 mins whilst she fell asleep tonight

(64 Posts)
TrinityRhino Wed 22-Jan-14 23:14:52

They have been increasingly unsettled at bedtime

starting to say they need a brighter lamp, cant bear the door shut, wont go upstairs on their own etc

they are getting more and more tired as they are ending up not falling asleep as early as they need

I just decided tonight that maybe they just need a little extra comfort to relax and fall asleep

I had no idea what I was going to do when I started. I just read them some of the book we are on and then said
I'll give you both a snuggle for a bit so you can settle down

they chatted to me, as their cuddly toys, for a couple of mins and them shushed down, gecko was asleep in less than ten mins

then I climbed in with dd2 and she was asleep in about ten minutes

then I fell backwards off her bed trying to get up (bottom bunk, got my foot caught in the bottom of the ladder)

and felt all calm and happy that they were asleep by 9pm and would get a good nights sleep

curlew Thu 23-Jan-14 22:47:00

Curses. OK, Pacific, you win. However, I bet text messages weren't involved........

Ha! curley, I'll see your 'oldest child' and raise you the fact that I shared a bed with my mum all night last summer. I am 47 grin. V cosy it was too.

What do I win?

tantrumtime Thu 23-Jan-14 22:17:33

I do it every night, nothing nicer than the sleepy noises of my babies smile

curlew Thu 23-Jan-14 22:17:05

I can without doubt beat anyone in the "oldest child you have every had in your bed" competition. But I won't. Because I might get arrested.

mistlethrush Thu 23-Jan-14 22:11:15

<provides crayons so scribbles over chores list can be a bit prettier>

Poledra Thu 23-Jan-14 22:10:06

'Lo Trim
I lay with 10-yo DD1 till she went to sleep the other night because we'd read a sad chapter in her book and she'd had a little sob. So we had a cuddle and a chat about the story till she felt ready to sleep. You do what you need to do to get them to sleep. Totally normal. And lovely to see you smile

TrinityRhino Thu 23-Jan-14 22:01:40

thank you all smile

I am just back down from a snuggle with DS1(almost 11) - he was upset about some Terraria situation <clueless>

<scribbles all over chore list>

thanks

FourArms Thu 23-Jan-14 21:48:40

I co slept and bf longer than 'normal' (DS2 was weaned at 35m IIRC). DS2 was incredibly clingy and a bad sleeper. He now sleeps 12 hours and is a secure & settled little boy.

DS1 is an insomniac who really struggles to get to sleep but wakes early regardless. Going to sleep in 'mummy's bed' (and then being semi-woken and sent to his bed later on) means he goes to sleep in 10 minutes. He gets two or three hours more sleep. How can that be wrong?

YANBU smile

mistlethrush Thu 23-Jan-14 21:41:39

She would have a great time here... I would be able to repaper the bathroom with the chore list... blush

TrinityRhino Thu 23-Jan-14 21:40:23

the school are very supportive of me which is bloody brilliant because ss have been rather mean in the past

we have a totally different social worker now though

she seems ok, not seen her more than twice
time will tell

she does a lot of smiling and laughing whilst saying things like
'hmm perhaps we'll put a little chore list on the wall'

hmm

silly me, If only I had thought of that....

mistlethrush Thu 23-Jan-14 16:07:14

That's rotten news Trinity - however, the more the girls can be clearly properly rested before school etc - surely that will go as a positive in any dealings that school have with them?

TrinityRhino Thu 23-Jan-14 16:06:30

hi greylady

the dragon isn't talking to me today cause I squashed it yesterday grin

thegreylady Thu 23-Jan-14 16:05:16

Hi Trinity I keep looking out for you and here you are with a lovely snuggly post and a blue dragon smile

TrinityRhino Thu 23-Jan-14 16:01:08

I sometimes struggle to see what is within the realms of 'normal'

social services are sniffing around again and I was just hoping that the way I'm trying to help them be more settled is a good way

to me, it seems completely fine and necessary right now

but they are a whole different kettle of fish

they weren't happy that gecko was co sleeping with me when she was 3

therefore I didn't tell them that she continued to cosleep till she was gone 4 grin

manicinsomniac Thu 23-Jan-14 13:01:34

At first I was thinking YWBU to sleep with first a lizard then your daughter - germ alert! grin

Sounds like a nice night though, YANBU. Weird thread though. Why did you think it would be unreasonable??

Ixia Thu 23-Jan-14 12:37:25

My DD is 8 and I quite often snuggle her in like that, she finds it hard to wind down. The only downside is that it's so warm and snuggly, sometimes I fall asleep too, then wake at midnight totally disorientated!

TheRealAmandaClarke Thu 23-Jan-14 07:25:21

I think that sounds like a lovely bedtime.
Bedtime for my DCs is bf for dd and cuddle for DS while I read them a story on my bed. Sleep arrives for them by 730 and then I pop them into their own rooms.
Love it.

<happy to make rod for own back>

giraffesCantMakeResolutions Thu 23-Jan-14 06:55:39

I would love to come back too - and I promise I will when I am not ill/crazy busy!

NynaevesSister Thu 23-Jan-14 05:30:21

sure it would be nice to give son a kiss good night and send him off on his own. But that's not how he is. Plus I think a bed time story is just as important at 8 as it is at 4. Maybe they can read for themselves at that age but it is a lovely thing to share. If one of us lies down with him he is asleep in 2 mins if not less. If we send him to bed on his own he will be up and down for ages. So snuggling is both lovely and convenient :D

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 23-Jan-14 05:01:05

Our DS has also introduced what he calls "family cuddle" where DS, DH and I (oh and 'baby' in my tummy of course!) have to snuggle up on sofa or bed for a real proper big group hug together before DS goes to bed. It's so lovely we now make it part of our bedtime routine (sorry if that makes me sound like a soppy sod)

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 23-Jan-14 04:54:53

YANBU I think sometimes everyone needs a hug!
Our DS is now 6 and always likes me or DH to sit with him for 10 mins before he goes to sleep. He also used to BF to sleep in my arms when he was tiny. Despite dire warnings from MIL and SIL (who even tried to take him off me more than once to "put him down to sleep properly" in a pram etc) DS is one if the best sleepers I know amongst our family and friends, always settled quickly and resettled if woke in the night as long as he had a hug and someone with him for 10 mins before sleep he was happy. Do what feels right for you and DC. As long as it's not taking hours to settle them I don't see any problem.

CouthyMow Thu 23-Jan-14 03:43:00

Home should say time. I dislike Siri.

CouthyMow Thu 23-Jan-14 03:40:26

Fucking Hell! Gecko is going to be 7??!! Where did home disappear to??!!!

<<Checks date, sees it is, in fact 2014, and my 'baby' DS3 is going to be 3 this week...>>

<<faints>>

Bearandcub Thu 23-Jan-14 02:15:45

YA most definitely NBU

It sounds heavenly to me. I can remember cuddles in bed with my mum 30 years on. I hope they will too. I can remember her perfume on my pillow, feeling safe and warm and loved, and how her hair was on my eyebrow but I was too dozy to do anything about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now